Spilled water on iPod Touch, let it sit for a week for the water to evaporate.....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by maclover001, Jul 20, 2008.

  1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

    maclover001

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #1
    Hi,
    I spilled water on my iPod Touch, I let it sit for a week for all the water to evaporate. Now everything works fine, except the battery only lasts for three hours (even when idle). If I let it sit for more than three hours, the battery COMPLETELY drains, and the clock goes back to December 31st 1901.

    I'll phone Apple support to have this dealt with, but what do I tell them? "I spilled a glass of water on my iPod, everything works except the battery, what do I do", or do I just tell a white lie and say "My iPods battery only lasts three hours, how much for an out-of-warranty replacement"?

    Thanks!
     
  2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2005
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    The touch (and iPhone) have little water sensors in them that change color if you get the device red. So they will know it got wet as soon as they look at it.

    Sorry - Greg
     
  3. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    #3
    just tell them that the battery only last 3 hours now and you don't know why.

    EDIT: nvm i just noticed the post above
     
  4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

    techlover828

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    #4
    see above post.

    I think a new battery is $70, I wouldn't bother lying, that's not really fair.
     
  5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

    TuffLuffJimmy

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #5
    it's not a 'white lie' just because apple is a big company doesn't mean that that wouldn't be stealing from them. Just because you're too incompetent to take care of your own toys doesn't mean someone else should pay for your mistakes.

    But maybe you should take it to an apple store and have them roll their eyes at you when they peak at the water sensor.
     
  6. ervabu macrumors newbie

    ervabu

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    #6
    I would not be so sure that it's "the battery" ... there may be some circuitry in there which is damaged that is causing the battery to discharge prematurely.

    Either way, the water sensor tags tell all. Sorry.
     
  7. techlover828 macrumors 68020

    techlover828

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    #7
    you can still bring it in, they'll help you out, you'll just have to pay for it.

    edit: maybe the battery will come back in time, a lot of times the water damage issues are weird and come and go.
     

Share This Page