Spilled water on my rMBP. Need some advice what to do next.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbishop93, Sep 11, 2013.

1. bbishop93 macrumors regular

Okay so yesterday my housemate knocked over a water bottle right on to my barely month old rMBP maxed out model. Luckily because of it's great design the water just kinda sat on the keyboard. I immediately tilted it over to get all the water to fall of and dried it. The computer didn't turn off and the screen was still working so I powered it down, left it upside down with a towel in between the keyboard and the screen.

Then this morning about 18 hours after the accident, I accidentally turned it back on because that power button is just a regular key and was accidentally pushed. Anyway the computer seems to be working fine, the ports work, screen still clear no dead pixels or anything, all keys work, I restarted it shut it down and turned it back on, it seems perfectly fine except for little water marks in the speaker holes that you can notice when you look at a specific angle, it's weird and hard to explain.

Anyway luckily it's still working perfectly BUT also I bought the accidental 2 year warranty from Best Buy for it. Now the thing is I don't want to bother with anything now because it's working fine. However a scenario occurred to me.

With the new rMBP coming in the next few months, the older model that I have will be discontinued shortly after that time, and what happens if mine just craps out sometime in 2014 from the water damage, with these laptops where everything is one with the motherboard aside from the SSD, if it were to break how would besbuy replace it? Would they give me the new model of the same specs since the old one wouldn't be supported or could they give me the 2599$ credit and then I'd pay the difference for the new one? Has anyone had experience with this?

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Because existing models are just going to disappear? It's doubtful they'll upgrade for free because of people like you that would wait for a chance to have an "accident" with their computer and then just replace it with a new one.

3. bigdogn12 macrumors member

Some credit card companies have a 45 day to 90 day accidental warranty policy. Use the crap out of your laptop and if it has issues, submit a claim with your credit card company.

4. bbishop93 thread starter macrumors regular

People like me? It actually had spilled water on it I'm just wondering if I should request a new one know as a safe bet rather than wait and if the water damages it and it craps out and then there are no more rMBPs. Why is that a problem? I paid in full for the computer and in full for the ACCIDENTAL coverage bud, and so if water spills on my laptop I should be covered, I am just worried about what will happen if it craps out soon and its unfixable and Best buy is out of the current retina models like a year from now...I love this damn computer I don't want a new one nor the hassle of shipping my computer off, but I paid just about 3k for this thing and warranty and I don't want to get screwed over, I'm not trying to take advantage. And I don't expect a new computer for free but I was just saying a year or so from now if it gives way and I'm covered maybe I could pay the difference for the new model if they cannot replace mine. I'm just asking if anyone has had experience with this that they can offer me some guidance. So why don't you leave your judgment somewhere else.

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

You're asking questions that should be covered in the policy you paid for and any questions should be directed towards the plan administrators. Every situation is different, so if you want to know what could happen then I suggest you call the number to get claim and coverage info. :) I wouldn't say "Hey, this happened..." I'd just ask them a hypothetical "If this happened, how would it be handled?"

Would be much quicker than waiting for strangers to give you their opinion on an Internet forum. ;)