Spilled water on the Mac Air and now no screen after power on

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aruba1013, Sep 14, 2014.

1. aruba1013, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

aruba1013 macrumors newbie

Got a glass of water spilled on my A1466 Mac Air and now when I power it on the screen turns on with a faint one blink and the speaker plays the announcement and then nothing else happens. Opening the back cover I can see the CPU blower is spinning and I am able to measure the voltage on every power inductor I am able to see. There is one inductor that is near the CPU with no voltage on it which may be my problem. Does anyone know what the voltage should be on this inductor ? I don't schematic nor is there a silkscreen to know what the designator is but I am uploading a couple of pictures for reference.
    I also see what looks like a controller for the output I am missing with these printing on it:

58872D
    TI 1Dl
    A83J E4

One would think this is a controller from TI but searching for "58872" or "TPS58872" get me no hits. Anyone know what this chip is or where I can find a replacement ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

Attached Files:

2. Lachhh macrumors regular

Before speculating on what components might have gotten zotzed and considering buying replacements which may or may not fix the problem, I'd take it in and have Apple look at it and find out exactly which components have been damaged in the first place.
    I once spilled coke over the keyboard of a macbook, turned out the entire logic board was toast.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Have you tried booting with an external monitor plugged in?

4. aruba1013 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I have not. I don't have one of those display port cable but I have found a co-worker this week that has one and is allowing me to use it. I haven't had a
    chance to try it out yet, hopefully next week.

5. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

should have shut down right away and leave the laptop in a bag of rice. rice is known to suck out\dry out the moisture.

6. Agent47 macrumors member

Suggest removing the system board and placing it in a drying bag for a week or so. ifixit makes a nifty one, and it's cheap too:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Thirsty-Bag/IF145-163

Rice is OK but I would use something stronger.

----------

Apple will not tell you which chip or inductor is bad-they will determine the logic board is faulty and offer to replace it for several hundred dollars. Apple techs do not troubleshoot to component level, at least in the field.