Spilt glass of water over 17" 2011 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danetello, Apr 13, 2012.

1. danetello macrumors 6502

I woke up this morning and opened my macbook to see water all over the screen and keyboard :eek: I must have accidentally spilt a glass of water over my macbook pro the night before without noticing!
    Straight away I dried it off with a towel and left it to dry out for about 12 hours. I then turned it on and everything was working, apart from the trackpad which was slow to respond and right click didn't work.
    I connected my external trackpad from my iMac and it worked perfectly. I was planning to get a replacement through Apple as I still have 1 month left on the warranty.
    If I don't tell Apple it has water damage, would they be able to replace it still? Are there any water sensors in the Macbook like there are in iPhone?

2. simsaladimbamba

Since it is accidental water damage, for which there are sensors inside the MacBook Pro, Apple will not replace anything fro free. You have to pay for any repairs caused by the accident and your warranty is probably gone.

Have you any kind of home insurance, that would cover accidents?

3. danetello thread starter macrumors 6502

No don't have home insurance to cover accidental damage :(
    Where would the sensors be located, is there a way I can check if they have been triggered? Is there any chance they haven't been triggered, as I did not fully submerge the MacBook Pro?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Save yourself some time next time and simply write "I damaged my MBP tell me how to defraud a company to get a new one."

The sensors can be identified above. Your moral compass being broken may result in a new machine. Good work tiger.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

White out. Paint white out over them.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I heard that if you fully submerge it into water a second time, the sensors become untriggered.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

And next months post will be" Apple service sucks because they won't fix my machine while it's still in warranty!"

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If they had no way to tell and you wanted your £1000+ machine fixed, would you honestly tell them you damaged it?

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oddly, yes. I have this idea that if I take responsibility for my own actions that it somehow makes it possible for me to say that I'm a good person with a straight face. It would suck, no doubt, because I'd want my machine fixed but I want to believe when faced with the same situation I would be honest. There is no reason to think otherwise.

11. icewing macrumors 6502

^^ This. My parents taught me to tell the truth, painful as it is sometimes. I'd rather pay the cash and keep my integrity, rather then sell my soul...

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Very dramatic!

Applause!

Can i buy tickets for your show?

13. vlug, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

vlug macrumors 6502

Apple were recently gloating they had too much money, and Mac's albeit lovely ARE over priced. I would try and get it fixed for free also.

You guys talk a good game but I bet you have or would try something similar yourself. Either that or you have have too much money!

14. chilly7, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

chilly7 macrumors member

Laying is not good in any situations and for any porpuses.
    please don't do that

p.s. say 100% as it was for real and then see how to fix the problem then...

15. AppChat macrumors regular

16. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Fraud - In criminal law, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and also a civil law violation. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud, but there have also been fraudulent "discoveries", e.g., in MACS to gain prestige rather than immediate monetary gain.

17. danetello thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I decided to give it a try, after all the worst they could say is no. I left my macbook to dry for about a week to make sure all the water inside had dried. I gave the macbook into my local Apple store yesterday for repair, no questions asked about how it happened :).

Got a call this morning informing me that the trackpad had been replaced and my macbook was ready for collection, so I came and picked it up, signed paperwork etc. and left without paying a penny :D

Spectacular service from Apple!

Attached Files:

18. soulniz macrumors member

19. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear the goods news! But next time maybe keep any drinks away from your computer, so maybe it won't spill and ruin it again, because you might not be so lucky next time ;)

20. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Did they change your motherboard, or did it just so happen to start turning on again while in their custody? If the latter(which happens occasionally), it may fail again fairly soon. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

21. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

I do not think anywhere in this thread did he say his logic board failed? I could be confused.

22. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

You're right. I jumped to the assumption. My fault.

Apple could take responsibility for creating a machine that allows liquid to instantly make it from the top case to the motherboard in a world where many laptops exist that route the liquid through drainage pathways away from the board.

Regular people will be careless. However, it's 2012. Lots of progress has been made, and multi billion dollar engineering conglomerates do have the resources to create a machine that doesn't give the water a nice little fountain ride straight to the logic board, from the top case. Look at Lenovo, spill liquid on a T520, it keeps going!

People should take personal responsibility. I agree with that more than anything else. I do like playing devil's advocate sometimes though. I feel a few changes would allow the machine to retain its beauty without it being completely helpless.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Blaming Apple for not making a spill proof machine is borderline comical. I know there are keyboards like that though so maybe one day. The context of my post though was in general; I take responsibility for my actions and I've paid dearly in many cases. Yet I'm still here alive and kicking.

24. Success100 macrumors newbie

yeah right dude. anyone who can get out of $1000+ bucks for a new laptop is going to. unless your rich of course. apple is a multi billion dollar company. they'll be fine.

im not saying try to get over on them, but if i spill water on my joint and none of the indicators turn colors, there is no way in HELL I'm going to let them know..

to the op..glad it worked out for you buddy!!!