SPIN ranks the 125 greatest albums of the past 25 years. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unspeaked, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

For their 25th anniversary, SPIN ranked the 125 best albums of the past 25 years. Here's a link:

LINK

And here's their Top 10:

1 U2, Achtung Baby
    2 Prince, Sign O' the Times
    3 The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead
    4 Nirvana, Nevermind
    5 Radiohead, OK Computer
    6 Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
    7 Guns N' Roses, Appetite for Destruction
    8 PJ Harvey, Rid of Me
    9 Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted
    10 Nine Inch Nails, The Downward Spiral

Any opinions on this? I'm sure there's a lot of discussion to be had here - in the Top 10 alone I see a few unconventional picks... and Achtung Baby at #1 is utterly criminal.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It all seems a bit 'rocky' and I don't own a single one (Im that in touch with the times). Im surprised Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon is not further up the chart.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO music is an opinion, there is no right or wrong, good or bad.

I'm more like a metal guy, especially death and black so if I was asked, my list would be totally different. Sure you can position them by their sales etc. but it's still an opinion, nothing more

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As it was released in 1973, I'd be surprised it would be on a list of the 125 best albums of the past 25 years.

Lists have never agreed completely with my tastes.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Might have something to do with the list being albums of the past 25 years...

EDIT: Damn, beaten to the punch.

6. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Well, it was reissued in 2003...

:D

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Wow thats the second ball I have dropped today :eek:

8. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Scratch U2, GNR, and PJ Harvey from the top 25, even. And Prince and Public Enemy should be at best in the 10-25 range.

MBV - Loveless not being on the top 10 is truly criminal.

9. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Would you put MBV at #1? They've got it at #20.

Now that I looked the list over a bit more, I think as much as I hate U2 I can see why they're on the list. Certainly not Top 10 material, but they are an influential band.

PJ Harvey is really the only entry in the Top 10 where I'm not sure what she's doing there at all. U2, Guns n Roses, Public Enemy - if people criticize them in these threads, they have their supporters and defenders.

Can anyone argue in defense of PJ Harvey being #8? Anyone?

10. Yojiirill macrumors regular

NO WEEZER??!?!??!?! NO TORI!?!?1?!??!!?

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Really, with those qualms aside, I found this to be a pretty good list. I especially was intrigued at how NIN was #10.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Appetite is a great album IMO, maybe one of the best of the 80's. If a U2 album is going to be on the top Joshua Tree should be the one.

12. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Personally I would put MBV in the top 3 alongside Nirvana and Radiohead, but that has more to do with my own taste than with an objective analysis of its cultural impact and influence. But even beyond my own feelings towards it, I think it's indefensible that it's ranked any lower than #10.

I'm also surprised how little post-rock was on that list.

13. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I wholeheartedly agree. For me it's not OK Computer on top, though, but Kid A. Also, I do think U2 deserves a top 10 spot. Definitely not the number 1 spot, though.

14. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

And Achtung Baby!? I mean, it's a step up from ZooTV, but as someone mentioned earlier, if you're going to put U2 on the list there's got to be better choices...

15. sonictruth macrumors member

Without reading the list, I can at least offer a PJ Harvey opinion if you're not really familiar with her music. Kind of like Jimi evolved the blues through rock in the late 60s, I see PJ Harvey as kind of the 90s alternative equivalent of evolving the blues. Her blues is far darker and more stripped, sometimes more angry or emotional, but just as potent. She is great and continues to be great.

Also I have to throw out there that I am happy that Pavement is so high on the list, although I'm a little surprised they are higher than Sonic Youth.

16. sonictruth macrumors member

Absolutely agree with Joshua Tree being their most important. Not #1 important, but U2's best at least.

17. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I'm not arguing that PJ Harvey isn't a good musician - I like some of her stuff, though I'm not a huge fan.

My argument is if you're putting together a Top 10 list of great/most influential albums, I can see the argument for plenty of bands I semi-like or just plain dislike such as GNR, NIN, Public Enemy, Prince, Pavement, Nirvana, etc but I just don't think PJ Harvey is in that class of influential artists.

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

PJ Harvey or Pavement. Really? One of the greatest albums of the past 25 years. Hmm....

I agree with what another poster said. This is all an opinion... Good read thou.