Spinning beachball freezes everyone move mouse. Starts after hours of use

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by applelover4u, Jun 15, 2017.

1. applelover4u, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

applelover4u macrumors 6502

Sorry I meant every time not everyone

2014 late Mac mini 4gb

With browsers open and or few apps after hours of working I will get the spinning beachball and freezing for like 15 seconds at a time . Have been constantly happen lately after a few hours and happens whenever I move the mouse

I thought it was the ssd hard drive I have booted off externally but I recently changed that and it was fine . I then restored my apps and now I get freezes and beachball

I'm thinking it maybe a app but why does it takes hours for the beachball to appear? Is there a way I can see startup apps?

Could it be something else?

Had this Mac ever since it first came out and it started doing this months ago

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

How much memory (RAM) is installed in your Mac? Open the Activity Monitor app, click the Memory tab. If the memory pressure graph at the bottom is showing RED when the freezes happen, that means you're running out of memory. It will also list all apps and how much memory they are using.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

What Mac do you have?

4. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

4gb Mac mini 2014

I believe it never showed red . It can be on window with tabs open and it will do it
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2017 ---
    2014 Mac mini 4gb. Had it since released

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Run this from Terminal and see whether it makes any difference:
    Code:
    launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist
    That service seems to have a habit of dropping some machines to a crawl for no obvious reason, so give it a go. It'll reload on next reboot so isn't a permanent fix.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

OK. Might be the HDD but you advised you booted through an SSD via USB as your boot drive and it was still exhibiting the same issues? If that's the case, that's very odd.

You can quickly run SMART Utility to check the internal HDD: https://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility323.zip

7. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't use the internal Harddrive

Seems like when I turned on the Mac firewall it stopped but later hours later it started again

8. applelover4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a way to s
    tried that and this is what i got

/System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist: Operation not permitted while System Integrity Protection is engaged
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2017 ---
    Im thinking it might be my enclousure to my external ssd that i boot from now

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm, maybe put "sudo" in front? I've never seen that message.

10. Taz Mangus, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

You will need to disable SIP first: https://www.howtogeek.com/230424/ho...ity-protection-on-a-mac-and-why-you-shouldnt/

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I get the same message when running that command...
    I tried this same command with a sudo and get
    Code:
    /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.mediaanalysisd.plist: Could not find specified service
    @Nermal: if you have to disable SIP just to unload that service, where you have to reboot, then reboot again to enable SIP again, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of unloading that service in the first place?

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not sure what to say:
    Code:
    nermal$ csrutil status
    System Integrity Protection status: enabled.
    Yet unloading mediaanalysisd works on my machine, and does indeed speed it up when it slows down. It may not even be the same issue though; it just sounds similar.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe that command only works when the mediaanalysisd service is loaded. The file is there, but the system doesn't appear to load it at boot. I'm running 10.12.6 beta, maybe it doesn't load on that system.