Split California in two?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Jul 15, 2011.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

A Republican politician wants to take Southern California and secede from Cali to form the 51st state. His proposed border lines are strictly based on areas that heavily lean towards the Republicans.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/california.secession/index.html?hpt=hp_p1&iref=NS1

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh man. That's just stupid. I don't see how this would help anything.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It might be good for the rest of the state. If we got rid of a lot of the republicans from the state legislature maybe they could get something done. But for the rest of the country it would be bad to put in 2 more republican senators, maybe they could offset it by letting that part of Arizona that wants to break off go and form it's own state.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Amusingly, the area that wants to sever ties with the rest of California receives more tax money than they pay in...:rolleyes:

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

The only state secession that makes any sense to me would be the UP of Michigan since it's not even connected to the rest of the state. :p Other than that, everyone should just deal with the state lines that have been there for a long time.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

They should wait until they see how mother nature decides to split up california and then take what's left and decide how the politics works out.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

New York should split in two. Upstate might as well be located in fly-over country. ;)

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The new state of Upper New York will become fabulously wealthy by gouging New York City on the cost of water. :D

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If every portion of a state that disagreed politically with another portion of the state seceded, we'd have a number of states in the triple digits and it would be constantly increasing.

10. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Might as well make the United States/Jesusland separation for real then.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Great. So Los Angeles will be in CA and Anaheim will be in SoCal? I guess this means that the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim will have to change their name AGAIN.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why not just call South California North Mexico.

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The GOP should probably go ahead and get a life. What an annoying bunch of people. We're not adding a another state because some idiot republican doesn't like liberals. If he has such a problem with them he should move out of california and move to bumblescum arkansas. Must feel great to have your party be the laughing stock of the country. Can't wait til 2012.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm all for that.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

But we get to keep the flag. They can use the confederate flag.

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

As a proud Northern Californian I support their efforts, oh and they can take Los Angelinos too

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't forget the wall that will have to be built to separate Jesusland from the US.

18. LizKat, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Funny how people in both pieces think the other is ripping them off...

Yeah, we thought of that but then we are also aware of the watershed restrictions and what it already costs to comply with them, even after some relief on the cost of stuff like authorized septic systems, etc. Of course there are some freebies we get up here because of the reservoirs: there are watershed police who occasionally tap a DWI or a speeder as a fringe benefit of watchful presence on or near roads bordering city reservoirs, but they usually get no thanks :eek: (to say the least) from the locals over their concern for our safety...

otoh, the water up here may not be so fine once the gas companies get done hydrofracking natural gas out of the Marcellus Shale reserves... talk about geographical entities splitting up over politics, every town around here is busy trying to decide whether to ban hydrofracking. Main concerns are over whether the fracking chemicals can escape containment and destroy the aquifers, and over where new transmission lines would go. These worries may not outweigh pro-drilling interests in some townships, especially as you get farther north from where watershed rules already apply. The state and the feds are not done making up their minds, and right now the document from the DEC is about 600 pages and counting... it's getting very hard for ordinary citizens to assess the possibilities when the industry lobby manages to get the pagecount that high.

Update: yeah it's off topic... rdowns started it... sorry.... ;)

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just let me know before you build the wall so I can cross the river into Illinois. I don't want to be stuck in Jesusland.

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Perhaps something like the wall that already exists in the real jesus land?

[​IMG]

21. Surely Guest

Surely

Well, it is working pretty well over there...... but I guess that's a topic for another thread.;)

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Wow, yeah, city states. fortresses, boiling oil poured over the walls as the marauders try to breach the moats in their wooden dinghies.

Wait. I think I saw that one already.

cf. M. Chiaverini, La battaglia di Saint-Gilles nel 1165 tra Pisa e Genova. Le lotte di predominio, tra misteri ed intrighi, nella Francia meridionale dei secoli XI-XII, Pisa, MARICH Studio storico editoriale, 2004.

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

No. Somebody's gotta drag you into the 21st century, even if you are kicking and screaming.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Pima County wanted to separate from Arizona, too. Maybe that was just a joke? :confused:

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

but it would help them. It would give the GOP another 2 seats in the senate putting the senate at 102.
    The house would remain the same but the senate the GOP would have a gain of 2 seats of the total 102.

Come on we all know the GOP do not know how to fight fair.