Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Not aware of any method other than trying them individually. I’m close to deleting Flipboard over their refusal to support it; Apple News would be the replacement.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
When in split view or slide over you could drag down from the top of the panel and a list of apps were available for you to choose. It was quick and efficient for me compared to iOS 11 way of doing things.
Ah yes, the infinite scroll “multitasking” - I find it easier to drag an app up from the dock, know immediately whether Split View is supported by whether the screen is fully grayed out or not. To each his/her own.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t like either split view invoking method. The old method was too much scrolling, and the new dock method requires you to overcrowd your dock, still only showing a portion of your apps, while split screening apps not in your dock requires too many unintuitive steps, the worst of which is having to completely exit out of your current app. I say forget the dock, there should be a gesture that slides your current app almost off the screen so that only its edge is visible, revealing the home screen with all your apps. Tapping any app icon will then bring your current app back into full screen and pop the new app over it. Maybe non split screen app icons are greyed out. Two fast intuitive steps with access to all your split screen apps.

Tizzypink

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
I hate the new slide over split view nonsense. While scrolling on the iPad, I inadvertently open a split view constantly. Also, moving slide over from dock is a pita and then having to actually swipe to close it rather than in 10 all you did was tap screen and it went away.
This is miserable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.