Sponsors of 'holocaust deniers' conference are insulted at Rushdie's knighthood.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Jun 19, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6769671.stm

"It has seriously wounded the beliefs of 1.5 billion Muslims and followers of other religions."

Well that's exactly the problem with a 'belief', it's inherently insecure.

Mr Rahimpour added that Iran held the British government and Queen Elizabeth II "responsible for the circumstance of this provocation"

Looks like Brenda will be getting a fatwa.

For his part, Mr Brinkley expressed "deep concern" over reported comments by Pakistani Religious Affairs Minister Mohammad Ejaz ul-Haq, suggesting that the award could justify suicide attacks.

"If someone commits suicide bombing to protect the honour of the Prophet Muhammad, his act is justified," the minister said, according to Reuters news agency.

Charming.

2. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Could you explain the title of this thread. I read the link and I must have missed its relevance.:confused:

3. Queso macrumors G4

Bloody nonsense isn't it? Noise for the sake of it.

Sir Salman Rushdie is a great writer and I'm glad we're honouring him rather than just doing the the usual of giving knighthoods to any old duffer who's given money to politicians.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Or someone who has only ever kicked a football, rugby ball, hit a cricket ball, etc.

They seem to hand out honours to any old sport's person these days. All of the England cricket squad that won the Ashes and the England Rugby World Cup winning squad, yet some of the England Football World Cup winners are still waiting. I think it's disgraceful.

I mean Steven Gerrard has an MBE... *Grumble. Grumble*

(I'll get down from my soap-box now. ;) )

5. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I think its a rather daft assumption that 1.5 billion muslims are actually insulted by a book. Coming from a muslim background, most of them take the view that islam is bigger then a novel, and that that getting into such a fuss looks ridiculous

That Iranian minister has to retract his statement, and change it to:

"It has seriously wounded the beliefs of one billion four hundred ninety-nine million nine hundred ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine Muslims and followers of other religions."

6. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I'm still having trouble seeing how belief or disbelief in the Holocaust relates to a belief in a higher power.

[sarcasm]According to my religion, JFK never really existed in the first place and it's utter blasphemy if anyone suggests otherwise.[/sarcasm]:rolleyes:

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6223300.stm

Yet another person for whom the 27th June can't come quickly enough!

;)

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Wow. That's pretty nuts. I <3 AP. :eek: Truly. Guilty pleasure. I had no idea that AP was so loved, though. Teehee.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's loved alright!

;)

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I was wondering when someone might bring this up...

Rushdie is the author of many fantastic books - and a few duds too - it is absurd to focus all attention on the one book. That said, I'm not all that impressed that he accepted the Knighthood... what a sellout.

YT

11. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Just pointing out the irony, in Iran, making a big deal out of being insulted when they very publicly and childishly demonstrate their scant regard in the instance I refer to.

12. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Ahh I see. A gross generalisation. The people of Iran are no more culpable than any with regard to what politicians say or state. Sarkozy is the absolute antithesis of me so don't hold me responsible for whatever vomits from him. It is certainly true that "The Holocaust" is abused for political ends. There's no business like Shoah business after all. I feel this as a white pagan. Goodness knows how middle easterners see it with the Neo Con contrived wars that fires Patriot missiles at there very houses. I know next to nothing about Rushdie and I have no Iranian acquaintances or friends so lets be kind to all. No public support for the invasion of Iran in 2007 eh? Peace.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It wouldn't be his first. Nor his last I suspect.

I dunno... seems to me that some people just like to work themselves into a tizzy upon the utterances of any extremist who happens by.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Are you talking about that book..

15. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Oh, sorry were you under the impression that I was referring to each and every Iranian when I was referring to the 'sponsors of the recent holocaust deniers conference'? How quaint.

16. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Largely a yes. The main exception being "In general, the Jewish community" Small numbers at work in this field but nevertheless very effective.

Hello Dogbone. Like the new Avatar. Better than the cyberman one. I did ask you to explain and you weren't very forth coming and so yes I did. The "how quaint" at the end is a nice touch too. :)