Spontaneous crack!

Niteace

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
I was holding my phone today, not shaking it, not charging it, not even holding it tightly and the back glass just cracked! That happen to anyone else? Is it covered by warranty? How the hell did it happen?!

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
thats gonna be a tough story to convince the genius bar with. Tell them it cracked while charging it overnight. That's more believable.

Niteace

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
I know it's completely unbelievable! It's the honest to God truth tho. I was worried the battery might have expanded or something, wasn't hot or anythin.

Niteace

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
I cant right now I'm in work, but it's a single horizontal crack from one edge to the other, almost exactly in the centre of the back glass.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I was taking a picture yesterday and the camera module just fell out of the back of the phone right as I touched the button to take the picture. Will Apple fix it?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What's this about plastic being cheap?

Anyway sorry to hear, Op. I'd try the honest story with apple and then third party options if not. Worse comes to worse you sell it on Craig's at a discounted price.

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
I was taking a picture yesterday and the camera module just fell out of the back of the phone right as I touched the button to take the picture. Will Apple fix it?
nice job being helpful.

to the OP, id say that it broke during charging overnight and see what they say. I havent heard or read about the glass just cracking while in the hand, thats a huge liability for Apple if thats the case.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I used the phrase "spontaneous stress crack propagation" at genius bar and got my original iPhone replaced. Always used a case and screen protector after that.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If its the back glass, that's very cheap to fix an apple may do it under warrantee, if not I think it's like $20-$30 to fix, someone else correct me if I'm wrong. Just go in and tell them what happened, in my experience apple has been very helpful.

djransom

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Happened to my wife iPhone 4. She doesn't know how it happened, but it has spreaded. I just purchased her a case and she just uses that until the next iPhone drops.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
that is very strange indeed.. perhaps the battery overheated during charging and it took a while for it to crack, making it seem spontaneous? :p Pretty sure the geniuses at Apple can help you with it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
nice job being helpful.

to the OP, id say that it broke during charging overnight and see what they say. I havent heard or read about the glass just cracking while in the hand, thats a huge liability for Apple if thats the case.
Huh, I would say lying about what happened to your phone isn't really that helpful. I mean, it's the same thing, it broke in my hand (doubtful) and it broke while charging (equally if not more doubtful).

Niteace

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
lol @ spontaneous stress crack propagation! :)
I think I'll call apple tomorrow and go with the truth story, otherwise I'll order the back cover from ifixit.

It seems like a doable fix. No apple store near me so I doubt I'll go with apple fixin it anyway cause it would mean no phone for a week or 2, but I'll see what they say. Such a weird issue tho.

& I get the feelin nobody is really believing me, I prob wouldn't either only for it happened to me! :)

Last edited:

Cchiang

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
I know this is a late reply but you aren't the only one this happened to. It happened to me earlier i was reading an article the screen flickered bd crack! I had a hairline crack from one coroner to the other. I called apple immediately and made an appt they said it has happened to quite a few people and is a manufacturers defect and is covered in the one year warranty as long as they can determine there was no point of impact as in the case of mine which I have only had about two months and have never dropped it. Hope you were able to get it fixed.