Spontaneous crack!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Niteace, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Niteace macrumors member

I was holding my phone today, not shaking it, not charging it, not even holding it tightly and the back glass just cracked! That happen to anyone else? Is it covered by warranty? How the hell did it happen?!

2. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

You just tell that to the Genius ;)

3. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

thats gonna be a tough story to convince the genius bar with. Tell them it cracked while charging it overnight. That's more believable.

4. Niteace thread starter macrumors member

I know it's completely unbelievable! It's the honest to God truth tho. I was worried the battery might have expanded or something, wasn't hot or anythin.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Can you post a picture of it.

6. Niteace thread starter macrumors member

I cant right now I'm in work, but it's a single horizontal crack from one edge to the other, almost exactly in the centre of the back glass.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

I was taking a picture yesterday and the camera module just fell out of the back of the phone right as I touched the button to take the picture. Will Apple fix it?

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

What's this about plastic being cheap?

Anyway sorry to hear, Op. I'd try the honest story with apple and then third party options if not. Worse comes to worse you sell it on Craig's at a discounted price.

9. ac921ol macrumors regular

nice job being helpful.

to the OP, id say that it broke during charging overnight and see what they say. I havent heard or read about the glass just cracking while in the hand, thats a huge liability for Apple if thats the case.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Just a joke, calm down...

11. afd macrumors 6502a

I used the phrase "spontaneous stress crack propagation" at genius bar and got my original iPhone replaced. Always used a case and screen protector after that.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If its the back glass, that's very cheap to fix an apple may do it under warrantee, if not I think it's like $20-$30 to fix, someone else correct me if I'm wrong. Just go in and tell them what happened, in my experience apple has been very helpful.

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Happened to my wife iPhone 4. She doesn't know how it happened, but it has spreaded. I just purchased her a case and she just uses that until the next iPhone drops.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

this. If you do want the OEM version it is a little pricer, but still a really easy fix.
    http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4S-Rear-Glass-Panel/IF115-003

15. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

that is very strange indeed.. perhaps the battery overheated during charging and it took a while for it to crack, making it seem spontaneous? :p Pretty sure the geniuses at Apple can help you with it.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Huh, I would say lying about what happened to your phone isn't really that helpful. I mean, it's the same thing, it broke in my hand (doubtful) and it broke while charging (equally if not more doubtful).

17. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Happened to me as well, I ended up replacing the back cover, but never really understood the reason behind it.

18. Niteace, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

Niteace thread starter macrumors member

lol @ spontaneous stress crack propagation! :)
    I think I'll call apple tomorrow and go with the truth story, otherwise I'll order the back cover from ifixit.

It seems like a doable fix. No apple store near me so I doubt I'll go with apple fixin it anyway cause it would mean no phone for a week or 2, but I'll see what they say. Such a weird issue tho.

& I get the feelin nobody is really believing me, I prob wouldn't either only for it happened to me! :)

19. Cchiang macrumors newbie

I know this is a late reply but you aren't the only one this happened to. It happened to me earlier i was reading an article the screen flickered bd crack! I had a hairline crack from one coroner to the other. I called apple immediately and made an appt they said it has happened to quite a few people and is a manufacturers defect and is covered in the one year warranty as long as they can determine there was no point of impact as in the case of mine which I have only had about two months and have never dropped it. Hope you were able to get it fixed.