Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I already prepaid for Apple Music for the year but also I decided since it the holidays I will try Spotify for $0.99 for 3 months.

First the good.
  1. The web player and desktop player is great. The mobile app works great with my Bose SoundTouch and unlike the Chromecrap is does not drain the battery by keeping the phone awake like Play Music does.
  2. The sound quality is amazing. As good as Apple Music and way better sound than the mud that is Amazon Music and Google Play Music.
Now the bad.
  1. Way less songs. Searching for Madonna already Like a Prayer 1989 album is missing track 3 Love song. Also there is no Immature Album and this is just the start. I will be canceling my trail when it ends because of the lack of songs that even Play Music has.
  2. Also back to the songs the missing songs on AM Spotify misses the same songs and many more.
  3. Lack of any parental controls but I knew that coming in.
Options welcome but I am staying with Apple Music despite iTunes and the battery hog AM app.

thiagueirass

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Spotify is amazing, but it have no cloud solution, an apple watch's app and Peter Gabriel's songs (at least not here in Brazil). The album RAM by Paul McCartney, one of my favorites, is not available too. You can't also change the metadata and the iPad's app is a crap.

Even so many of Spotify's exclusive features are fantastic such as connect, social playlists and discovery playlists.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
One thing about Spotify listening to a Rio by Duran Duran sound amazing on Spotify extreme settings. AM sounds more flat and I can tell the difference right away. Still listening to the same album on Play Music and Amazon Music sounds the worst like mud. Also they have many more playlist stations than any of the other services.

Also there Android app is so fast and fluent. Does not lag one bit.

thiagueirass

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
One thing about Spotify listening to a Rio by Duran Duran sound amazing on Spotify extreme settings. AM sounds more flat and I can tell the difference right away. Still listening to the same album on Play Music and Amazon Music sounds the worst like mud. Also they have many more playlist stations than any of the other services.

Also there Android app is so fast and fluent. Does not lag one bit.

Can you notice that songs on AM are louder?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Okay I found some compilation albums I though Spotify did not have. I see Spotify separates them from the main albums and singles as AM and PM just bundles them all together. Have not decided yet to keep it after February yet.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I enjoyed Spotify a lot when I had it but I made the switch to Apple Music when they redid it.

One thing I really miss from spotify was the playlists, you would find a song you liked on someones shared playlist and you might just find other really cool songs too. AM sucks in that way.

Reactions: duncansby

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I enjoyed Spotify a lot when I had it but I made the switch to Apple Music when they redid it.

One thing I really miss from spotify was the playlists, you would find a song you liked on someones shared playlist and you might just find other really cool songs too. AM sucks in that way.
I agree that Apple would benefit from user-curated playlists. But they do have some great curated playlists.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I already prepaid for Apple Music for the year but also I decided since it the holidays I will try Spotify for $0.99 for 3 months.

First the good.
  1. The web player and desktop player is great. The mobile app works great with my Bose SoundTouch and unlike the Chromecrap is does not drain the battery by keeping the phone awake like Play Music does.
  2. The sound quality is amazing. As good as Apple Music and way better sound than the mud that is Amazon Music and Google Play Music.
Now the bad.
  1. Way less songs. Searching for Madonna already Like a Prayer 1989 album is missing track 3 Love song. Also there is no Immature Album and this is just the start. I will be canceling my trail when it ends because of the lack of songs that even Play Music has.
  2. Also back to the songs the missing songs on AM Spotify misses the same songs and many more.
  3. Lack of any parental controls but I knew that coming in.
Options welcome but I am staying with Apple Music despite iTunes and the battery hog AM app.

The thing i do like of spotify is 'use case'.. all u need is a web browser and a spotify account to listen.. But since most Apple users would probably be carrying iPhones on them they may just as well use the 'Music' app..

Still.. the convenience of using a web based player is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.