Spotify; does it hammer the battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seb1987, Apr 19, 2011.

1. seb1987 macrumors member

Hey does spotify hammer the battery on my iPhone 4 when using it offline?? Any help would be great ta.

2. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

In my experience it doesn't do that much drain on the battery but then again it is still using resources so it will be somewhat of a drain.

3. rikbrown macrumors regular

From my experience, no more than stock iPod.

4. Tapiwa macrumors member

Not at all, I have it running in the background very often without really noticing any extra battery drain :)

5. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah I have noticed now after a beautiful day in the sun :)

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Spotify's CPU usage is much lower than the iPod app's. (~10% for Spotify vs. 30-40% for iPod - playing at roughly the same bitrate).

With offline usage, I'd expect Spotify to be pretty good in terms of battery life.

7. seb1987 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers was just curious, gotta love spotify for the convience

8. Mac Elvis macrumors newbie

Can't see I've noticed much difference tbh. Agree Spotify Premium is great!

9. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Anyone having battery problems with the iPhone 5 and spotify? I have the app installed with a few hundred songs saved for offline use and it seems to kill my battery twice as fast as it would before I had the app. I'm not talking about it killing the battery twice as fast while I'm using spotify, or even when it's just sitting in the multitasking tray not being used, I mean just having the app installed at all.

Also, this problem was there before and after the newest update, and before and after deleting and reinstalling it.

10. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

It definitely kills it faster if you're getting the songs off the net as you're playing them.

11. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Thanks for the reply. I know what you're talking about will kill it faster. I'm talking about not even using the app, but just having it installed and it killing the battery twice as fast as without.

12. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I deleted the app. Tried everything I could to get it to not destroy my battery, but nothing worked. Anyone else have this issue with the iPhone 5 and using the paid premium spotify service?

13. AutomaticHaze macrumors regular

I am using the paid premium service..I do not see any weird battery drain using my iPhone 5 to play songs offline. It destroys my battery life when using.. BUT I am using streaming it over my cellular connection and using Bluetooth to my trucks radio. So it's to be expected. Using it on my iPad I do not notice any more drain than normal though.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Only if you're streaming. If you're playing downloaded tracks, it should be approximately the same as the stock music app.

But on Android... Wow, that's quite some battery drain.

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The only thing Spotify for iOS hammers is your wallet!

Actually, though, it depends on your data connection. If it's sketchy and a streaming program is constantly trying to burn in that connection, your battery will drain very fast (and get very hot). Waze is a good example of that. You can actually watch the percentage go down if you're not plugged in to your cig lighter.

Decent connection with Spotify, though, and it won't be any worse than anything else.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No, no battery drain when playlists are set to offline use.

Spotify Premium at $120/yr

I found that if I use it on desktop, to build and explore with playlists.

Then buy them in iTunes. Spend $40 or so in iTunes to permanently add the tracks I was missing to recreate the Spotify playlists... I have come out way ahead vs. $120/yr and not permanently owning.

I could add 20-50 new songs to iTunes a year for less than half the price of Spotify on my mobile.