Spotify Streaming To 2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

(Sorry if I'm in the wrong subforum...)

My Mom may be replacing her 2003 Ford Taurus SES that's grown long in the tooth, and it's constantly needing repaired. So, new family car! :eek:

My Mom and I took a trip up to Yark BMW (our local BMW shop 40 miles away), and I told her to look at the X1.

I'm pretty knowledgeable about the inner-workings of BMW iDrive.

Here's my question. How can I stream music from Spotify to the BMW's audio system?

I'm assuming I can just use good ol' A2DP (Bluetooth streaming).

Can I stream Spotify via USB?

Your help is appreciated. Oh, three more things.

1.) ETA on a BMW official Lightning adapter?

2.) Is the iPhone 5 compatible with iDrive? Can I just use my white Apple USB cable?

3.) For $800, there's an optional Harmon/Kardon audio system. Is it worth it? Any other Bimmer owners here that can vouch for it?

2. mobutt macrumors 6502

For spotify it's Bluetooth only, the iPhone 5 is compatible with idrive and idk bout the harman speakers but generally nah not worh it.

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Audio streaming should technically be Bluetooth only but I've had luck getting other audio sources to play over the car's stereo while in iPod mode. YMMV

No word yet on the BMW Lightning cable but you should be able to just use the white sync cable. My M5 uses an older system (still CIC based though) that uses the Y cable so I'm stuffed there.

Go for the H/K system. The stock audio system is woeful for the amount of $ they demand and I've been impressed with the L7 system I have in my E66 and E60.