Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Lost my spotlight search icon and bar with ios13 pb1.
Very useful to find word docs etc .
What steps bring up spotlight search bar please

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Lost my spotlight search icon and bar with ios13 pb1.
Very useful to find word docs etc .
What steps bring up spotlight search bar please

There's two main places common to iPhone and iPad to access spotlight traditionally. 1) In app and 2) on the home screen. On iPad you also have 3) Press CMD + Space

Currently the situation is: -

On iPhone:
In-App - slide down for notification centre and slide right for widgets and spotlight
On home screen - Slide right for widgets and notification centre

On iPad:
In-App - Currently you cannot access spotlight in-app without an external keyboard. Sliding down and right just shows the widgets. Spotlight has not yet been added above them. I'm quite sure this is just an omission so far
On home screen - slide down anywhere on the home screen background (thank you to @casperes1996 for the correction!)
Anywhere: CMD + Space

So, yeah, bug/omission on iPad at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donfor39

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
There's two main places common to iPhone and iPad to access spotlight traditionally. 1) In app and 2) on the home screen. On iPad you also have 3) Press CMD + Space

On iPhone:
In-App - slide down for notification centre and slide right for widgets and spotlight

On iPad:
In-App - Currently you cannot access spotlight in-app without an external keyboard. Sliding down and right just shows the widgets. Spotlight has not yet been added above them. I'm quite sure this is just an omission so far

Thanks I got swipe right almost immediately when updating to iOS 13 pb1

CMD+Space -that answer is genius !

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks I got swipe right almost immediately when updating to iOS 13 pb1

CMD+Space -that answer is genius !

I have my keyboard attached to my iPad 99.99% of the time so CMD + Space is my go-to for Spotlight and especially for initiating multi-tasking as there's no need to exit the current app and go hunt for the other one. Unfortunately multi-tasking from there (i.e. searching for an app then dragging it out) is also currently broken. However, it's a known issue and in the release notes so should be fixed shortly. The joys of running betas! ;)

Reactions: Donfor39

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

On iPhone:

On iPad:

What'd you mean about sliding to the widgets? I slide down on the home screen. Not from the top to get to Notifications but anywhere else. The widgets don't hold Spotlight for me.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
What'd you mean about sliding to the widgets? I slide down on the home screen. Not from the top to get to Notifications but anywhere else. The widgets don't hold Spotlight for me.

Yep, sorry, brainfart on my part. Corrected the original post with attribution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.