Sprint 4G LTE and the Bay Area...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pchukwura, Sep 13, 2012.

1. pchukwura macrumors newbie

Does anyone currently have a device (preferably in the Bay Area) that is on Sprint 4G LTE?

I'm wanting to go with Sprint (because of unlimited data) this time around with the iPhone 5, but I want to hear first hand experiences with their speed and reliability.

2. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I checked the Sprint 4G LTE map last night and didn't see their 4G LTE network in the Bay Area.

3. aohus macrumors 68000

would like to know as well.

also OP, threaten to move to sprint with a vzw rep if they don't give you unlimited data.

4. pchukwura thread starter macrumors newbie

Well currently I have AT&T, and unfortunately the phones aren't the same, so my leverage would only exist BEFORE i actually pre-order heh.

But, I can always call and ask.

5. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I just got off the phone with AT&T, read about it here.

By the way, I am considering moving to Sprint as well.

6. pchukwura thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting...but I guess the bad thing is, if I call AT&T and change my plan that would basically extend my contract and not allow me to get the subsidized price, no?

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

No. Contract extension is only when you purchase a new phone. You'll get the subsidized price.

8. pchukwura thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know... I'll give them a call later today and try my luck.

9. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Good luck. Ask what I asked for and tell them you want a plan comparable to Sprint's and get them to waive that upgrade fee.

Keep us updated on what you ultimately decide to do and I'll do the same.

10. pchukwura thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I spoke to AT&T and they are not budging. I even asked if there is a lower voice plan (than 450 minutes) as I don't really talk and I have accumulated 2000+ rollover minutes, and they wouldn't. So there you go.

And Verizon's pricing is just insane.

Oh well, guess i'm going with Sprint. THe good thing is that earlier this year Sprint was testing LTE in the bay area (Palo Alto, Mountain View, where I am) and a bunch of folks saw it turn on on their phones, so hopefully they'll turn it on soon.

Maybe I'll be grandfathered-in in the future when/if Sprint ever drops their unlimited deal.

Oh do I hate the wireless industry in this country! :mad:

11. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Well that sucks but I'm not surprised. Did you get to their customer retention people or did you only speak to a level 1 person?

I have yet to make up my mind about staying with AT&T or jumping over to Sprint since this morning's call. I've been reading through the forums and read up on the LTE services between the carriers and it seems that AT&T won't have the best network any more. The only question is, will Sprint have a better LTE network than AT&T once it's nationwide?

Don't worry, you're not the only one who hates the carriers in this industry.

12. pchukwura thread starter macrumors newbie

It was simply a level 1 person. So i may try again. I wish there was information on Sprint's LTE service and reliability. From what I hear Verizon's service is good, but their prices suck.

Anyone within a Sprint LTE region and experience using them chime in!!

13. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Ah, be nice to them and ask to be transferred to the "customer retention department". When you're there, ask for a comparable Sprint plan.

I know someone who has Sprint LTE and loves it. I don't know if that's WiMax or if it's 4G LTE.

With me, I want to be able to get an iPhone 5 that I can unlock in the future after my contract is done and take it abroad to use on foreign LTE networks. The only question is to get the AT&T version or Sprint?

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

http://s4gru.com
    there is some good info and maps on here of what sites are ready, and what sites are scheduled.

i was able to find out from a forum member on there that Sprint Lte is already being worked on here in austin. they had some pics of the towere that was ready.

15. pchukwura thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I found that list not too long ago and I see nothing in Nor Cal is scheduled. I also saw that Sprint 3g is slow as nails, so I may just give AT&T my money for 2 more years :/

16. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Sucks to be us doesn't it? (First world problems, I know)

I still haven't made up my mind with getting a CDMA iPhone 5 on Sprint or GSM on AT&T. I'd like to know if I get a CDMA iPhone, since it does take a SIM card, will it also work on a GSM network outside this country.

Have you had the chance to give AT&T another call and give you the same rate plan at Sprint?