Sprint 4G LTE for next generation iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonyy, Mar 22, 2012.

1. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Given the fact the new iPad has LTE technology, I assume the next iPhone will have LTE.

Does Sprint even have 4G speeds that are on par with Verizon and AT&T? Even if they do, will it be ready by next fall?

2. ap3604, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. cashville2400 macrumors member

cashville2400

Wirelessly posted

I was thinking about this yesterday. Sprint needs to get this LTE up and running soon or they are going to really be s.o.l. They are already really behind and I don't want a 4g iPhone that is slow. My 4s has spotty enough 3g coverage. Before I got the iPhone I had a 4g Evo and its 4g speeds were slow compared to my dad's Verizon 4g.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yeah, my 4S has spotty 3G too. 3G can be very slow at times. My EVO 4G and Nexus S 4G had WiFi-like 4G speeds.

I don't think Sprint will be able to afford any more iPhones right now. They are supposedly close to bankruptcy and analysts says an LTE iPhone would put them even closer to bankruptcy.

5. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Exactly. Only 6 cities by mid 2012? They need to pick up the pace and catch up to its competitors. I hope they rollout nationwide rather quickly.

6. tonyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyy

That would be really unfortunate for iPhone users who will want to upgrade, myself included. Looks like I may have to consider AT&T or Verizon this fall if this is the case.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

8. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

They were trying to buy a company called Lightsquare, that would have given them a better foothold on LTE; but Lightsquare is having regulatory issues getting its LTE networks approved.

From everything I've read, it doesn't look like they're going to be in bankruptcy anytime soon.

9. Spectrum Abuser, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Even if Sprint had a small LTE footprint I'd bet Apple would cash in on being one of the first LTE smartphones on a nationwide network.

10. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Just my opinion but:

1) Sprint Sucks!
    2) Sprint Sucks!
    and finallly.....
    3) Sprint REALLY Sucks!

Again....just my opinion.

Steve

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What? :confused:

12. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Sprint doesn't suck. You could have a Sprint tower right outside your house but only get 256Kb down. They use outdated technology which is called CDMA. Their 3G network operates on EV-DO which has much slower peak speeds than AT&T. Sprint is not a good carrier for a smartphone. The iPhone and their unlimited data are the only two things keeping them a float. Very few people have been able to pull 1.5Mbps down on Sprint but that's rare. Everything comes with a price.

13. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

There are currently no LTE smartphones on Sprint and only one has been confirmed for future release. Apple could cash in on being one of the first phone manufactures selling an LTE device on their network.

14. gman27 macrumors member

I don't have Sprint, but friends with it say it's pretty good.

15. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

That may be true but whats good for your friends might not be good for the other guy. Location is everything and some carriers will be really good in some areas where others won't be.

Sprint will also be VERY late to the game with LTE whereas Verizon and AT&T already have it live in some cities.

16. jeffe macrumors 6502a

17. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yup.

Yeah, if you can get their LTE, it will be on par with the slower AT&T rollouts, as I think it's a 5x5 rollout on the G block, which would give it a max speed of 37mbps.

They will offer it, as they committed to buy a ridiculous amount of iPhones that they have to sell now. Unless they go in Chapter 11 before then, and have that contract thrown out by the bankruptcy court. It's an easy one to get rid of, since it doesn't hurt anyone, it's not like Apple losing a few million Sprint iPhones is going to hurt them.

Then tell me how Verizon gets decent speeds, insane coverage, and a highly reliable network, and Sprint can't do any of those things when both are using identical technologies?

18. gigemzach macrumors 6502

They were not trying to buy them. They are a completely separate company just like Clear. Sprint was only going to purchase space on the towers, along with many other companies. The thing is is that Lightsquared's frequencies interfere with GPS signals, thus FCC said nada.

19. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

Via s4gru.com

They have the Sprint Network Vision plans from Sprint, but they are all very subjective. First round markets are currently being worked on right now and will be done by summer, the second round markets start after their corresponding first round market finishes (i.e. they use the same crew to update the San Jose market that originally worked on the SF market.) They announce new markets several times a week, along with a lot of other Sprint LTE related info. I'd recommend checking it out if you are a Sprint user.

20. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Sprint bought 30 Million "iPhones" not just iphone 4 or 4S, they should still be entitled to the 6th generation iPhone.

21. BiggAW macrumors 68020

They're going to have to sell the iPhone 6, 7, and 8 to sell that many!

22. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

That statement is HIGHLY over-exaggerated my friend. Verizon is no better than AT&T. Location, location, location. Here I get much better coverage with AT&T than Verizon. And I'm not just saying that, I actually tried them. Sprint and Verizon use the same towers by me and the signal is not good and the data speeds suck. On the Verizon iPhone I would loose the 3G and it would say "o" which was worse than AT&T throttled speeds.

Verizon does manage their network better than Sprint though, that's a given fact. Sprint is trying and hopefully they'll be there soon. Time will tell.

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

AT&T is great. I have them, and they really do have more bars in more places, at least in my market. Sprint's the one that's a joke.

24. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I wasn't saying they are a bad cell phone company, I was saying they are a bad smartphone company lol. It would sure be nice if Verizon and Sprint were GSM carriers. It would be nice to have options as far as that goes. Poor T-Mobile is going bankrupt and laying off thousands of employees.

25. BiggAW macrumors 68020

GSM vs. CDMA is irrelvant to 99% of consumers. Heck, all the best Android phones with the exception of the Nexus series have been CDMA on Verizon and Sprint (EVO).