Sprint 4S contract ends in 7 weeks: Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peglegjack, Aug 14, 2013.

1. peglegjack macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Ok, so I've looked at every thread imaginable, and I can't seem to find a straight answer to this question. I have a 64Gb iPhone 4s on the Sprint network. My contract ends on Oct. 7th. I've been on their automatic payment plan and have always been in good standing. When my contract is up, will they unlock my phone?

If not, what are my options? I know there are a few things that you can do which may be a bit shady, but still technically legal. I'm prepared to do whatever it takes whether it's jailbreaking or whatever so that I can use this phone that I paid for in full without being stuck on a $90 a month plan. Because at that point, aren't the carriers stealing from you?

Thanks

2. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Even if they would unlock it, a Sprint frquency phone is still limited. Not sure who else it could be used for.

You need to call Sprint and ask them if they will unlock it.

3. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

If your account is in good standing they will unlock it for you. HOWEVER they only unlock for international purposes. So you wouldn't be able to bring the phone to AT&T or T-Mobile. We're you thinking of canceling your contract with them when its over? If so its good to try and unlock it before you leave, sometimes employees get stingy and will only do it if you are staying so by doing it before you leave you might have a bigger chance of having it work. If your staying with sprint and plan to upgrade then they will also unlock it for you. But keep in mind all this only applies if your account is in good standing. If not then they won't do it for you. Hope his helps!

4. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

So basically you're saying that I have to trick Sprint into thinking that I'll stay with them so they'll unlock my phone. Then when my contract is over, pull the plug?

And yes, I've always paid my bill on time.

5. emoore macrumors regular

They should unlock it for international anytime you call them. Mine is unlocked and I still have a few weeks left on my contract. But they will NOT unlock it for domestic use even after your contract is up. You need to get a new phone if you want to use it in the US on Verizon, ATT, or Tmobile.

6. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Wow, this is all starting to sound like a freaking headache.

Another option: if I were to try and sell my iPhone (flawless condition, 64Gb 4S), how much do you think I could get for it? Trading it back to Sprint only gets you $165 I believe which is beyond ridiculous.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You could get way more than that from Craig's List. Maybe like $400 just because it's a Sprint iPhone. I would move to AT&T or T-Mobile if I were you.

8. peglegjack, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Sounds reasonable enough, I get the reason for the discount.

One more question: what would the incentive be for anyone to buy a Sprint iPhone at that price? Especially if you can only use it on Sprint's network. Wouldn't the purchaser still have to use Sprint's plans which would run at at least $70 a month?

I also want to add that even though if I were to get a subsidized phone from T-Mobile at $80 a month with 2.5Gb, and even though that isn't as good as the unlimited plan I'd get from Sprint at the same price, at least with T-Mobile I'd have options. This idea of locking a phone down that you PAID for is nothing short of criminal.

With that said, if there are any other suggestions, I'm certainly open to them.

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Really if someone on Sprint didn't want to extend their contract another two more years.

All the data plans on T-Mobile are unlimited, the 500MB and 2.5GB plans are just throttled once the 4G is used.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There are a handful of reasons. Some possibilities are that they are currently on contract and want a different phone. Maybe they broke their phone and don't want to pay to have it repaired when they can get a working one (with more storage than they currently have) for slightly more.

If you get it unlocked for overseas use and are willing to sell it to the overseas market via a site like eBay, that is also one way to go. I personally do no think you would see $400 for a 64GB 4S on CL, but I could be wrong.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

You won't get $400 for a Sprint 4S on Craigslist. That's a wild dream. The Sprint iPhone 5 can be gotten for less than $400 used these days. $180-220 is a reasonable expectation for a Sprint 4S as they are the most worthless model iPhones.

12. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

I don't get this idea that it would be $180-220 considering that #1 the trade-in value from Sprint is $165 and #2 Even if you didn't use it as a phone it's basically a 64Gb 5th Gen. iPod touch with a slightly smaller screen, which generally run $390.

$350 I would get, maybe $300 if I'm pushing it. But $180-220 would be a joke for multiple reasons.

13. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Check eBay completed auctions. Your phone is worth much more than $220

14. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Yeah, some went as high as $575, not that I would ever go that high. I'd probably start off at $400 and go down from there if no one replied.

Right now I'm seriously considering keeping it when my contract ends. I could use it as a glorified iPod Touch, and since I live in NYC wi-fi wouldn't be the biggest issue. Then I could turn around and get a $25 phone from MetroPCS and join their unlimited voice/text/data plan which is $40 for everything. This way I could still have a portable iOS device (which will have 7 by then), plus my phone bill will go down by $50 a month (which my pocket would appreciate).

But that's just an idea.

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

This is why I'm buying an unlocked phone directly from Apple when I replace my Sprint 4S. My Sprint contract is up this Oct. 2013. I'm, however, staying with Sprint through Oct. 2014 when the iP6 is released, then I'm going to T-Mobile with my unlocked iphone 6 from Apple, unless Sprint follows T-Mobile no contract plans by then.

16. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

frequencies are just fine.

you can unlock the sim tray calling sprint customer service for international GSM use... you can sell it on ebay maybe? for folks overseas it should work no problem

17. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

That sounds enticing.

I've also been hearing that it may be possible to flash this phone to PagePlus which would be wonderful since they use the Verizon network. So I may look into that.

I just know that paying extra subsidies to Sprint after my contract is up would never make sense.

18. chubbyzeus macrumors newbie

Get yourself a GPP on eBay ($15-$30). Even if Sprint won't unlock the sim for you, which will be international even if they do, you can still use any domestic carrier you want. I'm currently using a sprint 4S on Net10 and pay $45 a month for unlimited everything.

19. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gpp-sim-iphone-4s-unlock

Would you be able to give me step by step instructions on making this work? Or send me to a link that does? I'm moreless in the dark about all of this.

20. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Instructions would be packaged in I think. But you can look them up online.

21. chubbyzeus macrumors newbie

Yep that's it, just make sure it's the newest gpp, sprint compatible.
    Watch this, all you need to know
    http://youtu.be/RdaNdBXALxM
    It's fairly simple to do, just a matter of installing the interposer under the sim in the provided sim tray, downloading the unlock software and installing the patch. Takes all of 5 minutes.

22. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Thanks a lot man, that all sounds great. So I have would HAVE to use a GSM network like T-Mobile though I could expect data/msg to work as well?

And it looks like I would have to keep it on iOS 6.13 until a new sim comes out correct?

23. chubbyzeus macrumors newbie

Any gsm carrier will work, I can only recommend Net10 just because it's the only carrier I've used with this. But, they're prepaid, no contract, no fees, all data and messaging works fine and you can get either an AT&T sim or a tmobile sim under them, both unlimited. This newest gpp they've been able to release patch updates for and it works up to ios 7 beta 4. They'll hopefully release a patch soon for the GM or full release. Btw, I use the tmobile sim and get 3G, on the AT&T sim I get HSPA+ but there's a problem with iMessage. It still works but its email only, not the case with the tmobile sim.

24. peglegjack thread starter macrumors 6502

peglegjack

Sounds like I'm going to go with Net10. I'm in no hurry really because my contract ends on October 7th, and hopefully by then they have a gpp sim that will work with iOS 7.

Almost done with the questions (I think), but if I were to say get an AT&T sim such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/AT-Compatible-SIM-Card-Net10/dp/B0091WD3YI

you're saying that I could get HSPA+ speeds. You also said that there is a problem with iMessage. Can you still receive regular texts from other iPhone users? Or do you simply not receive texts at all? If so, then I suppose the T-Mobile sim is the way to go. Hopefully I can figure it out from here.

Thanks again

25. chubbyzeus macrumors newbie

Yes you get HSPA+, it'll show 4G as your connection speed. I'd go with:

http://bit.ly/16pYYTt

No point paying more than you have to :)
    iMessage still works with the AT&T sim just not through your phone number. You'll still be able to send and receive iMessages using your attached email address, like an iPod touch. All regular texts, SMS and MMS, work like normal.