Sprint 4s owners and Apple fans alike, you won't believe this,sprint blames iPhone4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chuffman15, Oct 20, 2011.

1. chuffman15 macrumors regular

The Sprint network for iPhone 4s isn't as good as the network on At&t or Verizon. We know this by countless threads on Macrumors and other sites. I decided to email sprint and ask for an explanation. My gripe was that I left T-Mobile on a 4g phone(no need for semantics about 14.4Mbps being 4g, I don't care) to come to the advertised " fastest 3g network" just to be smacked in the face with how slow it is. Before you start to judge I know the 4g phone will be faster, but come on I did a speed test and got 0.09Mbps download speed. This is my actual email to Sprint through their customer support website:

I just changed from T-Mobile to Sprint for this all great
    Iphone 4s. This is the slowest phone I've ever had. I've downloaded the
    speedtest apps and my results are shockingly low. Using the Washington,
    DC server I have download speeds of 0.09Mbps and upload speeds of
    0.03Mpbs. I've run this test several times and these were the highest
    scores. What gives? Fastest 3g? Unlimited data shouldn't be an issue if
    you can't utilize it. I would like an explanation, and possibly a refund
    for services advertised but not rendered.

Yes, I was hard on the iPhone 4s, I'm sorry. I believe the gripe is real. This is my respsone that I got from sprint:

Dear Mr. Huffman,

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I apologize for the inconvenience you
    have experienced and would be glad to provide you with the relevant
    information to resolve the issue.

As there is known issue with Iphone 4S andthis issue is with Iphone not
    with our services. I request you to contact Sprint technical department
    at 888-211-4727 and follwo the prompt assistance.

Thank you again for e-mailing us.

Sincerely,
    Cora T.
    Sprint

Ok. Wtf? My response to Cora was not nice:

Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately I have 2 coworkers has this exact phone. One on the Verizon network and the other on the Att network and my iPhone 4s, I'm by far the slowest. I'm a Mac enthusiast and this email will be forwarded to Apple as well as shared with Apple-related forums. For you to tell me that a phone that's less that one week old has known issues is ludacris. If a phone like the 4s had known issues why would Sprint agree to buy 30 million units over the course of 4 years? I would like a thorough explanation why the Sprint iPhone 4s is dramatically slowed than the other 2 networks. FYI, I tested all three phones in the same place at the same time. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Chris

----------

Am i missing something?

2. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

It is curious that the iPhone returns worse results than a comparable Android device in the same area.

But, I do believe Sprint is running all iPhones on the 800mhz spectrum, which would remain exclusive to these devices. It's possible the signal is lesser in strength to begin with? :confused:

3. docgerrard macrumors 6502

Well I do know that my Android phone was getting at least 2x the speed i now get with my sprint iPhone.

now, i don't know if thats because sprint's network is bogged down, or because of the iPhone. i am more inclined to think it is the iPhone for some reason though

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well if other sprint smart phones achieve speeds that are expected and iPhone doesn't, what do you think they're going to say? Are other phones experiencing the bogg down?

5. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

i don't know. you don't bet the farm with a $20 billion dollar order just to throw it under the bus in the first week.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

lol Ok so it's a sprint issue.

----------

Well they did acquire nextel, they're known for making stupid business decisions.

7. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

im pissed because i just signed a 2 year contract with sprint thinking about the unlimited data. i knew slower speeds prior but this is dreadful. i don't want to return the phone, because I'm still tied to this contract. all i can do is sit and say WTF

8. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

No, what people wont believe is it is in fact the iphone!
    People with other phones are not having this problem. The iphone is.
    I'm sorry your God "iphone" has a flaw. It's bound to get a fix. But don't be all over Sprint when it is in fact a iphone problem!!!
    Do a search other phone are getting better signal while the iphone is not.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well will just take you a lot longer to use all the data your heart desires. lol

Seriously though, you have 30 days to walk don't you?

10. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lol ...I can tell you what. First you need to learn hos to manage yourself when got angry or you don't get things your way. Secondly I don't have sprint but I can garuntee you those speeds are not there standard and you should know this already. Mayber the tower you were connecting through had issues? Maybe the speed test servers you were using we're bogged? Maybe you ran 15 test in a total of 3 minutes when sprints network was having issues for 5 minutes?

Relax take a breathe, drive around or ride your bike around the playground for a bit.

If you expected anything near tmobile speeds then you did not do your homework at all. Sprint is the slowest of all carriers in the US on the 3G probably in 95% comparisons you will see.

On Verizon or Sprint CDMA don't expect over 2mb steadily all the time all...

11. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

You're allowed 30 days to return the phone and void the contract.

12. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

No wonder sprint has unlimited data. At those speeds, you couldn't hit 2GB if you were streaming video all month long. :D

13. Smithwicks macrumors 6502

Nope, sprint cut it to 14 days

14. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

you all are right. i would quote all of you but that would take up a lot of space.
    i think i do have sour grapes
    i didn't think the iPhone would be as fast as a tmobile droid phone
    i should relax ( no bike, but maybe if i drive around i can't get better data speeds;))

15. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

It depends I get good service and still use wifi a lot tho
    So far 2GB for the month (the first 12 days was the evo 3d on 3G)
    [​IMG]

16. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

i dont think its worth it to cancel my contract, return my phone. i absolutely love the phone:eek: ( not so much the speed):(. i would just go right to At&t or Verizon.

17. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I wonder if Sprint is exercising some sort of aggressive bandwidth shaping on its network to guard against problems of all those iPhones hitting the network at once? Maybe they are being overzealous in that regard and the results are what we are seeing.

18. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Which is what you should do. Hurry up before your 14 days are up.

19. Greg M macrumors 6502

14 days to leave if you want out of your contract.

Doesn't matter if it's Sprint's issue or an iPhone issue. Bottom line is that it's Sprint's problem.

Here's the thing, the iPhone is in short supply so if you want to keep your number then you've got to decide well before the 14 days are up to have a chance at finding an iPhone on another carrier.

My problem was that I needed 4 iPhones. I made my decision not to take any chances on getting stuck in a bad contract for 2 years or loosing my number. Luckily I found my 4 iPhones available for AT&T within hours of making my decision to jump ship.

I wanted to stick with Sprint but dropped calls, bad connections and nonexistent data was unacceptable. If I had some guarantee that it would be fixed within 4-6 weeks or I'd be able to cancel my contract then I would have stayed.

It's a shame because this was an opportunity for Sprint to turn things around and they dropped the ball.

20. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im not trying to help sprint but I'm sure they are getting many activations of the iPhone and possibly weren't ready for it. however having the fastest 3G speeds is a complete lie. also my friend was getting those speeds on verizon on his 4. i was hoping i would get maybe 7 or 8 down with the new HSDPA but i have only gotten the 3 or 4 down i normally got with my iPhone 4. I do live in a decent sized area population wise so we will see.

but for you i doubt its hardware. it depends on where you tested it and what time of day.

21. urkel macrumors 68030

My Sprint friends on Android are getting 4x what I do on 3G. Im absolutely in love with my 4S but clearly work needs to be done on BOTH sides.

22. Jongo1 macrumors regular

i had talked to sprint on Tuesday over online chat. The person told me in exact words
    Agent: We have temporarily outage for slow data on iPhone.
    Agent: Our technical support team are working on it to fix the issue.

the first sentence makes no sense at all.

Customer: ok, but a temporary outage would mean there is no 3g for the iphone correct? because a outage means that it doesn't currently work. So in theory my iphone is running on 2g speeds? or could you explain in different terms what is wrong the data issues with the iphone

Agent: We have a network outage and Our technical support team are working on it to fix the issue.

and then i just signed off cause i knew i wouldnt get anywhere

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

24. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I don't believe it's an iPhone issue. The support techs I spoke to said they were aware of the problem and are working on it.

Here's the thing though. When I got my phone (4S) the last thing on my mind was to test the download speed using an app. In all the time I had my EVO I never once tested it. So when I started using my phone I was satisfied and everything worked fine. I was able to use Siri, any one of my apps that have to connect to the Internet as well as Safari. Yes depending where I was and the strength of the signal performance did vary, but for the most part it was fine.

Then I saw the threads about slow speed and I started using the app to test mine. Yeah the tests weren't stellar and all of a sudden I started feeling worse about it. And for a few days I totally fed into these threads.

First thing this morning I shut off WiFi and strictly used 3G. I didn't run a single test and just used my phone as I normally would. By the end of the day I realized I had forgotten all about this speed issue.

I guess my point is that sometimes you can get hung up on specs and testing and whatnot and not even realize that the performance you're getting is fine.

That's not to say that everyone is going to have my experience. And I'm sure there are those that won't be able to use their phones as successfully as I do. But it pays to at least try a few days without resorting to the speed tests and to stop reading the threads. Just see what your experience is like and if it's really bad then make the switch to either VZN or AT&T.