Sprint 4s unlocked international sim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by derrick2005, Mar 14, 2012.

1. derrick2005 macrumors regular

Hi All,

We have 2 4S's on our account.

My 4S was replaced a couple of times and is jailbroken so still on 5.01. I went away and confirmed with Sprint the sim was unlocked and had no problem using the phone with an international sim when I was in Europe.

My wife still has her 4S from launch day back in October. She is now on OS 5.1. When I called Sprint about the international unlock, they said that it should automatically be unlocked as she got it on release date. Turned out it was locked. We went through multiple attempts to get it unlocked. First they said that they had done it and the phone just needed to be restarted and syncd with Itunes. I did that, called them back and it hadnt worked, so they had me do a complete itunes backup and restore , whcih we did twice and then they said it had worked.

The problem I have is that the international sim requires some specifiv APN settings to work for data. On my 4s (the jailbroken one on 5.01) I cah go it Settings/Network and access Cellular Data Network there and change the settings. On my wife's phone there is no option for Cellular Data Network. Does this indicate her phone is not unlocked? I tried putting the international sim in her phone (not expecting it to work) to see if different options would come up and they didn't. Is it a 5.1 thing? Most importantly she is going away tomorrow and I want to be sure she can use her phone!

Thanks in advance

2. thefreeagent macrumors member

Go to unlockit.co.nz where you can download the custom APN settings for whatever carrier you need. It's really easy, straight forward, and does the trick without jail breaking to access the APN settings. Hope this helps!

3. derrick2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - will try that!

Is the reason that Cellular Data Network settings are not shown in her Settings due to the phone not being jailbroken?

4. thefreeagent, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

thefreeagent macrumors member

On carrier-locked iPhones the APN settings remain hidden. Even on my unlocked iPhone 4S the settings are hidden, except when I switch out the sim card.

You might also want to try putting the phone into airplane mode (without the international sim card that you'll be using installed) then pop the sim card in. When you toggle the airplane mode switch to off, it may reveal a previously hidden "carriers" tab from the settings menu. It's possible (if Sprint unlocked your iPhone) that you might be able to simply manually input the APN settings from there.

At any rate, and I'm not sure why exactly, the carrier selection option will disappear if I restart the iPhone after the sim swap, but the "new" carrier remains active as long as the sim card is installed. But, again, going to the site I mentioned will do all of the above automatically, so it's pretty great for convenient APN configuration.

EDIT: forgot to mention that you should visit the site from Safari on your wife's iPhone in order to do the configuration profile installation automatically. Hope this helps!

5. derrick2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much! will try all those options...

6. thefreeagent macrumors member

My pleasure, and I hope it helps. Best of luck to you!

7. derrick2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome - it worked! Thanks for the advice.

8. thefreeagent macrumors member

Excellent! Very glad to hear that!