SPRINT/CRICKET USERS feel sorry for you guys...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imeth, Sep 13, 2012.

1. imeth macrumors regular

especially Sprint charges extra $10 for smartphones DATA plan which is crap... their 4G LTE coverage fairly new.. (maybe 5-7 US CITIES) THIS SUMMER!!!!! ... SPRINT sucks

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

That's some rather unnecessary hate there my friend.

3. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

i would like to think sprint will be ok once they are done with all their major upgrades on their 3g network and additions to their LTE network

maybe that will make you make the switch from tracfone there?

4. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

Wow, so tell us how you really feel about Sprint:rolleyes:. A person's choice of cell companies is their choice. It doesn't matter how anyone else feels about it.

5. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hahahah

ill pay $20 extra for true unlimited LTE any day.

they will have LTE in 100 cities by the end of the year.. less than 4 months.

7. imeth thread starter macrumors regular

no.. Sprint will not have 4G LTE close to AT&T in 2 years!!! I know how they work. On to iPhone 6+

8. SuperBrown macrumors member

9. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

And even with that $10 added (Which gives you UNLIMITED data) Sprint STILL $10 cheaper than a comparable AT&T plan. #EPICFAIL

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Sprint is offering me a handful of discounts to have an even cheaper bill than what you can get from AT&T, Verizon, or even T-Mobile. So therefore, I am going Sprint for my iPhone.

-Student Discount
    -Credit Union Discount
    -Military Discount
    -Paying online discount ($4.99 for people on ASL program)

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd pay $50 more a month for real unlimited data. Alas I need a GSM phone.

12. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

Honestly you get what you pay for for some they will have an lte phone with no lte, or others who can't use data and be on a call... Just pick your poison

13. Meanee macrumors 6502a

And even after $10/mo charge, it's still cheaper than any other iPhone plan out there, and it's unlimited data.

14. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

LTE is a GSM technology, so what if the fallback is CDMA? Verizon (and possibly Sprint) LTE Phones work exactly like GSM devices, pull the SIM out = No service. And best part of all, put in a GSM SIM into an unlocked LTE device, and it works on HSPA+ just fine.

15. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Nope. Pull SIM out = no LTE. Still full CDMA service.

16. dontwalkhand, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Sounds like you never obviously have used an LTE phone before.

Go ahead and pull out the SIM card on a Verizon LTE phone, and report back to me what happens...oh yes, you can't because you would have NO SERVICE. CDMA activates on LTE using the C-SIM application on the SIM card (formerly known as R-UIM cards used by asian CDMA providers). Without the SIM, you wouldn't have CDMA or LTE service on your phone at all. It would be a complete mess for Verizon to deal with activating LTE and CDMA separately, which is why they don't.

Though I do not know how CDMA only providers are going to handle this such as Cricket, as they do not have LTE yet, so I am wondering if they are going to bother with the C-SIM authentication like Verizon and Sprint, or if they are going for the old fashioned MEID authentication.

So yes, even CDMA based LTE will REQUIRE A SIM CARD, despite you having current 4G signal or not. Without the SIM card, the phone is useless for anything other than 911. YOUR PHONE WILL REQUIRE A SIM CARD TO WORK...PERIOD....

LTE phones are also smart enough to distinguish between a "C-SIM" and a normal GSM SIM and activate the radios to search for the right services.

17. menist macrumors regular

menist

Really the sad part is that, Sprint is not even advertising the Iphone 5 as an LTE phone on their website.

18. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I used a MiFi Verizon unit. My boss took out a SIM for some unknown reason, and it was connecting only to 3G. When I took SIM from him and installed it in MiFi, it connected to LTE.

19. dontwalkhand, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

A MiFi and a phone are two different devices. I also find it weird that you somehow did get it to work, as I know for a fact, Verizon relies on the C-SIM application on the card. There no more ESN number on LTE devices. They don't even ask for it when activating an LTE device, only the IMEI and ICCID off the card.

Also are you sure it was actually "CONNECTED" to Verizon's network, or it just found some signal? Were you able to browse web pages?

Because when I had my Verizon Jetpack LTE device, I took the SIM card out to test it as well, all I got was SIM card error, and I couldn't do anything, even on Ev-DO- Even though the device showed a signal on CDMA. VZW couldn't authenticate me as a paying customer, as no card was inserted.

20. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Yes, I was actually online with that MiFi. I found it weird that it connects only via 3G while my office has great LTE signal. Only then my boss said that he took out a SIM card, thinking he got some free MicroSD with the unit.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

That is really weird, are you sure it was the SIM card? I know that VZW authenticates with the C-SIM, there isn't really a way around it. Unless you found some Verizon glitch and really did get "Free 3G"

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

23. Meanee macrumors 6502a

After working in a cell phone store for 4 years (about 8 years back) I think I can tell a SIM card apart.

24. imeth thread starter macrumors regular

I just want all Sprint users who are screwed living in a city with no LTE... to switch.. this way Sprint will try harder to roll out LTE.. I mean their HTC EVO 4G LTE yet you are using 3G speeds.. it's like buying a Ferrari with KIA engine built in.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Also what does Sprint have to do with Cricket? Cricket is not an MVNO, they are their own network in certain regions, and they're prepaid only.