Sprint Data SUCKS!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 550Deano, Oct 6, 2013.

1. 550Deano macrumors newbie

I have been a Sprint customer for 15+ years and have terrible data problems in the Orange County, California area. I have the 4S as does my wife. We are due for upgrades in December and looking at Verizon. The Sprint LTE coverage in my area is just as bad as the 3G. They have wimax, but I don't think it is as good as LTE. We have unlimited data, but if it sucks then I'm gonna switch.

My question is: How much data should I buy from Verizon if I plan to tether to our iPads? We will both get the iPhone 5s. Can anyone share with the amount of data they use in a similar situation???

Thanks,
    DEAN

2. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

Don't Panic.

I switched from Sprint to Verizon recently, too. I'm much happier.

My wife and I with 2 iPhones and an iPad between us. Her mom and dad are on our plan and don't use much data. 6gigs seems to cover us just fine but it's mostly a function of my personal large downloads (I'm YouTube downloader addict and used my phone as a hotspot for my laptop once in a pinch).

Right now I'm only going to try and only download when on WiFi so that should curtail the usage.

I say start at, say, 6gigs and use the Verizon app to get an idea of your actual use. The Verizon app allows you to monitor your use and even change your data plan to accommodate if you need to.

3. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Just look at your Sprint bill and add it all up. Then add 25% fluff for safety the first month.

4. 550Deano thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info Dascoyne. I haven't used much data on our Sprint network due to the fact it is so slow. Mostly WiFi usage. I just wish Sprint would have held up their promise to expand LTE coverage in my area. There are over 3 million people in my area, it's ridiculous!!!!!!

DEAN

5. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

I posted how Sprint dicked us around already. I'm glad to be out and so will you.

6. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Don't expect them to make it any better, as they still haven't even figured 3G out properly, yet. Remember back when the iPhone 3G first came out? And how many of us were like "Finally, Apple got their act together and created a 3G-capable phone?" Yeah, well, Sprint still doesn't know how that technology works, however many years later.

So yeah, don't hold your breath for LTE. You can get Sprint to wave your ETF and get off of their network, but it takes a bit of complaining and arguing over the phone. Give it a shot. Hell, even if you're unsuccessful, the $100 ETF (you said your contract's up in December, right?) is almost worth it to get out of there as soon as possible.

I went with T-Mobile myself, out of respect for the no-BS (or at least less-BS) direction they've been taking lately, as well as the great service I got with them pre-Sprint. The prodigal son returned. I live in a remote neighborhood and get a weaker signal, and a lot of the time my calls drop when I'm at home, and yet I'm STILL infinitely happier with T-Mobile than Sprint. I'll take crappy service when I'm at home over crappy service EVERYWHERE, any day.

$50 gets you unlimited everything, and 500gb of LTE (throttled afterwards, so even that's unlimited, technically.)
    $10 more gets you 2.5gb of LTE.
    $20 gets you unlimited LTE PLUS 2.5gb of data to tether to other devices. No contract.

Go wherever else you feel more comfortable with, though. Does T-Mobile suck in your area? Go with Verizon. You'll pay a lot more, but you at least get what you pay for. Either way, get far, far away from Sprint. About as far as their towers are from your phone at all times

7. Firocity macrumors member

I just left Sprint today and am going to incur the $100 fee but I am getting 3 lines off of there and on to AT&T. Cannot wait to use their network. I looked into Verizon but ATT was a little less and I get more data. Apparently their LTE is the fastest in my city and I like the talk and surf feature.

8. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

You know there's a way to get out of the fee if you just use more than 800mb of "roaming" data per month. In a poor coverage region it's easy if you use an app like PlayTube to perpetually download YouTube vids. They sent me a warning then a termination letter and said I won't be charged a termination fee because they're the ones kicking me off.

9. sjperformance macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I did last Monday. Left Sprint after 12 years. Let me tell you here in Miami AT&T and Verizon are LTE king. I went with AT&T and wow!!!! What a huge difference from sprint. Now I can fully enjoy my iPhone without being connected to Wi-Fi. I ported 3 lines. My moms, wife's, and mine. My mom barely uses data. Went with a 6GB data plan. 18% corporate discount. At sprint I had a 23% corporate discount and averaged 3-4 GB a month of data. I'm only paying $19.00 more a month now at AT&T. No more headaches. No more stress. Great LTE speeds. :):):)

10. Firocity macrumors member

Same exact situation, bringing over my mother's, my wife's and my line. I am going to give the 10gb plan a whirl and if I don't end up using more than 6, I am going to drop down. It was like an $8 difference for the extra 4gb, so I said what the heck, I will tether my ipad.

11. 550Deano thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help! I will be heading over to Verizon real soon.

12. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

That's on the extremely high range of Sprint LTE scores I see, Locally on their "LTE" I've seen 5-12mbps roughly. Sometimes even lower.

Attached Files:

13. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

When I test my speeds they're usually over 20Mbps, occasionally I will see 10Mbps but it's rare and usually on 1 bar of service. Oh and my pings are better which makes all of the difference in the world. ;)

14. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Not bad, If I could consistently get 20+ with sprint i'd almost consider it but i'm grandfathered into unlimited data on att with the wife and after 23% discount through my company I pay $60 a month per line for unlimited data/text + however many minutes, think i have like 15,000+ roll over minutes :D

15. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I can't complain with my Sprint service at all, and this is only on 1900MHz. 800MHz and specifically 2500/2600MHz are really gonna be the game changer.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's not going to be accurate though. Whatever usage you have on Sprint if you're in a poor service area, you can probably expect to have 1.5 to 2 times the data usage on Verizon or AT&T in a good coverage area. Why? Because the data will actually work, meaning you'll not give up on it and use it more.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I left AT&T two years ago because the service where I lived was full of holes. Well, they have apparently upgraded like a ninja. I had the bright idea to check the coverage around here with my dad's phone when I was redoing a lot of their services (Internet, home phone). The dropped call area, a complete, 100 percent dead spot, was gone. I got to my house, turned WiFi off and noticed that the phone said LTE.

Naw. Not here. Yep!

So I did a speed test. I just got Comcast Internet earlier this year, going from 6 Mbps DSL to what's technically 20 but which I have tested at 28 Mbps. My dad's AT&T iPhone 5 got about 25 Mbps over LTE. I then checked it at his place and he was getting 32 Mbps.

I really wanted to get him and my mom on an all-cellular Internet, but I was just afraid that the capacity limitations would end up biting them.

Anyway, yeah, AT&T is fast. I'm limping out the last month of my Verizon service. It's no fun having a Verizon 3G phone after testing out LTE.