Sprint Effectively Has a 9 Day Return Policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itzcoolz, Nov 4, 2011.

1. itzcoolz, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

itzcoolz macrumors regular

i apologize for raising this issue to the forefront once again, but I just wanted to make an update on my previous story, initially started back in this thread.

long summary of that post is that: I ordered the iPhone 4S online when it was immediately made available 10/7, and then received the phone on launch day on 10/14. I tried to return the phone on 10/28, but was told that I was outside of the 14 day return policy for various, conflicting reasons:
    1. some reps told me my policy ended on 10/23 because the phone was "activated" on the 10/10, or that it ended on 10/25 because the phone was "shipped" on 10/12, or that it ended on 10/27 because the phone was "delivered" on 10/10.
    2. regardless, they said i was outside of any 14 day policy because they claim 10/28 is 15 days after 10/14.

Consumerist.com then published my story on 10/31, and I was contacted by a helpful employee who tried to utilize a special "employees helping customers" line that exists. He filed a complaint for me, and I finally had my discussion with them today.

The final answer is: they told me that my phone indeed was activated on the 10/10 (even when it was delivered on 10/14), and that my return policy ended on 10/23. I tried to escalate several times, but that was the final offer. I tried asking how it could make any sense if the phone was not released or delivered to my house until 10/14, and they said they were sorry, but that the phone was activated on the 10th.

I specifically stated, "your return policy states 'you can try your new product for 14 days,' how can you say that I could try my product when it wasn't in my hands?" she said that she was sorry, and that nothing could be done. so my return policy was effectively 9 days, from 10/14 until 10/23. i even asked for just a discount or credit to my account for misinformation (i would keep my service plan!), and they said that they do not provide credit or reimbursement for misinformation.

absolutely ridiculous. i'll try to post an update on consumerist and see what happens. at this point, i don't even care about the $350 ETF, it's more about the principle, and the fact that i've already spent about 8 hours for nothing.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Looks like they're trying to lock in customers cheaply.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

From a legal standpoint there right.

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

that sucks... I'm glad I'm dropping my Sprint account in a week. My ETF is only going to be $60... and the apparently the lowest they'll go is $50 for the last 5 months of the contract before renewal.

Hanging on to my SERO though for my wife's phone... they'll have to pry that account from my cold dead hands. :)

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm not an attorney, but how so? I'd love to hear the explanation for this line of thinking. BTW, and yes, I'm an English Nazi...it's "they're" (contraction of "they are"), not "there".

OP, I remember reading your initial post about this. My question to them is, how is the phone "activated" on the 10th? Does it just magically turn itself on in the box while in transit?

I would assume Sprint works like Verizon and AT&T...you received the phone and went through the same setup process that every other pre-order person did...setting it up and activating it once you had it in your hands. And I would assume this happened on the 14th when the phone was delivered to you. So...again, Sprint. HOW WAS THE PHONE ACTIVATED ON THE 10TH???

I'm with you, OP. Just on principal, I'd leave. Screw that.

6. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

How?? Their policy clearly states that you can try out your new device for 14 days... Clearly he can't try out his device before they ship it to him.

Anyways OP. Your thread title is a little misleading. The iPhone launch (and other preorders, I presume) are special cases because of the confusion of shipping/activating/delivering. If you were to go into a store and buy a phone, there is no way they can ************ you on the when the 14days begin. Just another reason why I always choose to buy things in person if the online price is going to be the same. No point in the extra layer of confusion/uncertainty.

But I do feel your pain. :(

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I still count 14 days from 10/14 being 10/27 regardless.

1-10/14
    2-10/15
    3-10/16
    4-10/17
    5-10/18
    6-10/19
    7-10/20
    8-10/21
    9-10/22
    10-10/23
    11-10/24
    12-10/25
    13-10/26
    14-10/27

Given your facts the 10/10 thing is irrelevant as you turned it in on the 15th day by your own admission.

8. sevendeadly101 macrumors newbie

OK, so you waited 15 days, and you're upset that they wouldn't let you return the phone under the 14 day policy? Some people are just too mentally handicapped to even have a cell phone.

9. itzcoolz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your thoughts. i've contacted both T-Mobile and Apple (did not try Verizon or AT&T because they did not have online customer support) and their 30 day return policies count a full 30 days. I asked specifically if i bought a phone on 12/1, when would the last day to return the phone, and they both said 12/31.

If you can show me in Sprint's return policy where it clearly states that the 14th day should be considered 10/27, i'd be more appreciative of your post.

10. sevendeadly101, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011

sevendeadly101 macrumors newbie

It's good you're an english wizz because math isn't your forte. Start on the 14th and count out the days until the 28th. [The OP] waited a day too long, and now he is acting like a victim. And what's worse is people are believing him without even applying basic logic.

11. itzcoolz, Nov 4, 2011

itzcoolz thread starter macrumors regular

if i told you to try out my car for one day and handed you the keys, when would you give me back my car? tomorrow.

if i said you could try it out for two days, you'd give it back to me the day after tomorrow.

sprint gave me a phone for 14 days, and i tried to return it 14 days later, and they did not accept it. simple as that. i understand why Sprint can try to insist that it was the 15th day, but there is a logical argument for why i can interpret 10/28 as being the 14th day. both interpretations are valid, and barring legal terms explicitly stating one or the other, i can't see why i'm wrong.

no need for the personal insults, bro. and according to their stance, even if i had returned it on 10/27, they would have rejected me.

ps: i see you're a new member, and 10 out of 12 of your posts are regarding Sprint. so now the personal attacks make more sense.

12. KentuckyHouse, Nov 4, 2011

KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

First, I never said math was my forte. 2nd, it's "whiz", unless you're talking about taking a piss...then "wizz" may have been more relevant. :rolleyes:

And I don't know where you guys are getting the 27th is 14 days. I count it like this...

The 14th - Phone activated
    The 14th to the 15th - 1 day
    15th to 16th - 2 days
    16th to 17th - 3 days
    17th to 18th - 4 days
    18th to 19th - 5 days
    19th to 20th - 6 days
    20th to 21st - 7 days
    21st to 22nd - 8 days
    22nd to 23rd - 9 days
    23rd to 24th - 10 days
    24th to 25th - 11 days
    25th to 26th - 12 days
    26th to 27th - 13 days
    27th to 28th - 14 days

BTW, no need for the insults (halfwit). Maybe you should just not say anything? In fact, I would welcome that.

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

And you need to read the forum rules. Would you like a link to them?

Op legally you entered into your contract on the 10th simple!

14. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I think you need to contact your local news and or TV guy. There is usually someone that handles stuff when people get screwed.

What they did was wrong, they screwed you pretty good.

15. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Uhh... You said it yourself. The 24 hour block starting on the 27th and ending at 11:59pm, BEFORE the day changed to the 28th, was the 14th day. Once it becomes the 28th, that's the end of the 14th day. The 28th to the 29th would've been the 15th day. This is pretty clear, I don't know where the confusion is coming from :confused:

16. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Ah...but you're assuming he activated the phone at 12:00 A.M. on the 14th. If that were the case, then your argument would hold water. But I would assume he didn't activate it until, let's say...10 A.M. That would mean he wouldn't make it to the end of the 14th day until 10 A.M. on the 28th. I mean, if we're going to talk in specifics here, let's really talk in specifics.

----------

Seriously? You're gonna get yourself in a huff because I (correctly) pointed out that you don't know proper English? Well...excuse me. :rolleyes:

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Just like my parking ticket I got on a monday that was due in "one week" it said.

I got my ticket on on A monday, so I thought one week from when I got my ticket would be next Monday.

Those bastards counted the Monday I got the ticket as day 1, so 7 days later was Sunday.

18. jekyoo macrumors 6502

I know that a lot of companies consider the day you get it as 1 day rather than the following day as your 1st day.

I heard a lot of people having this issue with Sprint having their return policy start when the phone was shipped rather than when it was in your hands. Pretty bogus of Sprint imo.

The only thing that was your fault was waiting til the "last day" to do so. If you had intentions to return the phone, why wait til the 14th day to do so rather than earlier? Had you returned it on the 27th or earlier, you would've had a stronger case.

19. ET iPhone Home, Nov 4, 2011

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I remember your first post. Did you try calling customer service over the phone? I recall you going into a Sprint Store to take care of this. Since it was ordered online, perhaps a CSR can help you with this. Have it documented in history if they agree, and request an email for the confirmation, also ask if you can mail back the iPhone rather than going into a Sprint Store. I say this, because I've been with Sprint for so long, that I usually handle issues over the phone, and I have had many of my issues with them resolved.

Based on what you presented, you were duped. Every return policy I'm aware of, as in your case, 14 days from the day you receive the package. Best Buy, for example, has a 14-Day Return Policy on computers. If you order it online, it's not 14 days from the time you place your order, but 14 Days from the day you receive your package. That is standard policy. It's a little "iffy" for the 14-day window to actually start on the day you actually "activated" your iphone. Now your having to argue two activity dates.

20. brand macrumors 601

brand

Proof or just speculation?

21. itzcoolz thread starter macrumors regular

Fact. As in the original post, the final answer I got today was that the 14 day policy started on the 10th (4 days before it arrived at my door) and that the 23rd was the last day that I could have turned it in without the ETF. This is after multiple escalations spanning several days. They told me that I had been misinformed earlier when I was told it started 10/14.

22. bjb.butler, Nov 4, 2011

bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

We can talk about specifics... I was just using the 24 hour time block to make things simple :rolleyes:

Most companies --I would think this is common knowledge-- consider the first day you bought/used/activate something as the first day in their return policy. Whether or not certain companies (Apple gives you an extra day, Walmart doesn't seem to care at all) are more lenient regarding this is irrelevant. It's just easier for companies that way.

If I bought 3 things at 11am/2pm/11pm, and there is a 7-day return policy, I would expect them all to need to be returned on the same day. Why would I get an entire extra day because I bought one a few hours later than the other?

23. itzcoolz thread starter macrumors regular

Over the phone, I have spoken with 10 or so customer service reps spread out over 6 phone calls over 3 separate days. I have gotten multiple answers about when my 14 day trial ended, but the people I spoke with today were quite convinced that the final answer is that my window started on 10/10 and ended 10/23. This is after a Sprint employee reached out to me after reading my story on Consumerist.com, so I am assuming this is the final answer.

24. sevendeadly101 macrumors newbie

You're the one who's wrong because you're not the one that set the policy. If you were having issues, you waited until the last possible day, and then even took an extra day to try to return it. Now your argument is that if you tried to return it on 10/27 wouldn't have worked either? The only thing that Sprint did wrong were the asshats that you spoke with that made up all kinds of madness. It was simple enough it they just counted. But they, like you, probably just did the 14th+14days = 28th, so they had to make up something as to why their system wasn't allowing it. But you have to count the 14th, sorry. You stated you received the phone that day.

25. itzcoolz thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I understand the common sentiment that many people share that I shouldn't have waited until what I believed to be the last day. I 100% agree, and I actually was planning on returning the phone on 10/27. I am a medicine resident working in the ICU, and I ended up staying 7.5 hours later at work than i expected on 10/27 due to a medical emergency with my patients.

Obviously, if I had anticipated this problem, I would have stepped out for a few minutes at some point on 10/27 to take care of this or at least make a phone call. However, I genuinely thought my window ended on 10/28, so I thought it a reasonable decision to push off returning the phone to the "last day" as my patients were a higher priority.