Sprint eligibility pricing...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by N e e k, Sep 15, 2012.

1. N e e k macrumors 6502

I'm not eligible for an upgrade to iPhone 5. Had Sprint for 7 months. Usually when I was with AT&T, you can buy (if you're not eligible) the new phone for $450. With Sprint, if I try to pre-order, it's saying I have to buy NON-CONTRACT for $650! I will NEVER pay for a phone that's that much... I DON'T want to do that! How do I get the $450 pricing to extend my 2 year contract?

----------

C'mon, guys. Please help.

2. spacebetween macrumors regular

You can't. You're not eligible for an upgrade so you basically answered your own question. They're not going to let you buy a $650 phone for $200 off when you just got (presumably) got a discount on a phone seven months ago.

3. travisiscoolest macrumors newbie

If you were less than 12 months away they might let you "buy" an early upgrade. I had 3 months til my upgrade but they let me buy out for $60, so i could preorder the iphone 5. This was on the phone with account services. I think the corporate Sprint stores were offering early buyouts too but significantly higher. Several weeks ago i was quoted $150 for an early upgrade at a store but im glad i didnt take it!

4. feeth macrumors 6502

If it has been 15 months or more since your upgrade, it will cost you $95. You must do it at sprint corporate store on the day of release or later and can't preorder. Call sprint and they will tell you the amount.

5. wongulous macrumors 6502a

If they have you a $400-500 discount every 7 months how would they profit? Even a $200 discount ever 7 months is $30-40 a month amortized. Unrealistic expectations here... just sell your 7mo old phone on eBay and buy iPhone 5 outright. Put it on a credit card with 0% interest at an electronics store or something.

6. appswipe macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if you understand subsidized pricing, but why would a cell carrier offer you a substantial discount on a phone + 2yr contract, and then let you upgrade to another new discounted phone in only 7mo? And this isn't only a Sprint thing, ALL carriers have toughened up on upgrades including AT&T.

IF you really need to upgrade then you have options in terminating your contract for a fee. With 17mo left you would pay $340.

The Sprint Terminaton Chart.

7. N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

I do, it's just that when I was with AT&T, every year I would sell my phone for $400 and pay $450. $450 would be the non-eligibility pricing... I never said I wanted to pay the $200 full discount. I was hoping $450.

8. christyn macrumors 6502a

AT&T has changed their policies too. They now only do the partial discount every 18 months.

9. N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't know that - thanks for the info. So, what you're saying is, in order to do an early upgrade, you have to buy the phone at full price no contract $650?

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think sprint gives $50 off after the first 12 months.

11. spacebetween macrumors regular

Yes.

----------

I think it's $75.

12. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Could be; I don't remember...it might change from time to time too.

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, AT&T offers a full subsidy discount between 18-20 months for qualified customers.

If you did not use an early upgrade within the last year, then you may still quailfy for Early Upgrade pricing: $199 + $250 for the iPhone 5.

Dave

14. christyn macrumors 6502a

Well yes, obviously. That was my point. He was saying how he used to upgrade for the $450 and I'm saying AT&T would not let him do that every 12 months, and definitely not after 7 months since the last upgrade.

You can upgrade at full subsidy, then again the following year at the partial discount, the following year they make you wait the full 18 months.

15. BrandonHacks macrumors regular

BrandonHacks

If I were in your shoes I'd wait to buy an unlocked version.

16. N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

Why?

17. BrandonHacks macrumors regular

BrandonHacks

If you were going to spend that much on a phone.. Not sure if no contract would be same as the unlocked version. Once your ready to get a new phone you can sell this one for more of its unlocked.