Sprint hurry up and pro-rate your ETF's!!! I want an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Barbs, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Barbs macrumors regular

I've got 3.5 months left on my sprint family plan. The ETF on 2 phones (total of $400) is the only thing holding me back right now from owning an iPhone. ARgggghhhh

Sprint annouced a year ago that they would be going with pro-rated ETF's but yet a year later still nada.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

What did you have for breakfast? We care.

3. Barbs thread starter macrumors regular

obviously you do...you posted. sad. but true. sorry

4. Eluzion macrumors 6502

5. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I had Sprint service once... hated it. Talk about dropped calls!

3.5 months to wait will probably translate to at least two more firmware updates, so there will be a herd of new features you'll get to enjoy, when you finally escape Sprint. It'll be worth the wait.

I had Cheerios for breakfast...

6. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

My Sprint contract expires tomorrow and I'm going to get my Iphone on Saturday. My wife already has her Iphone and I'm getting mine soon :D

Eric

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Sprint does give a 30 day window. You can close your Sprint account 30 days before the contract end date.

8. Tofaha macrumors 6502

my contract w/ sprint ended a year and a half ago...still w/o a contract..and still with sprint (and a fugly phone).
    im trying to justify paying the monthly at&t plan ..it doesn't help that my aunt just gave me a $200 gift card to apple

9. markgamber macrumors 6502

Ah....Sprint. I actually miss it. God help you if you have a problem with anything but the data speed and lax enforcement of that 5gb cap meant I could do pretty much whatever I wanted with their network, including a LOT of Slingplayer usage. Now I have AT&T which delivers 1/3rd the speed at double the cost. Yay for AT&T! Good thing there's no Slingplayer for the iphone!

Eggs for breakfast here. Cocoa Puffs are incredibly old...no one cares about them.

10. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I was told this by one rep as well, I double checked and I was told something else so I'm waiting until the end of the contract just to make sure. After I've left I have no leverage if they decide to try to bill me the EFT so I'll stick it out until the end.

11. Barbs thread starter macrumors regular

This is false.

I believe Sprint may offer a 30 day window which you can close your sprint account 30 days after the contract start date without penalty. But I could very well be wrong on that.

12. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Nope. It's true. I asked when I can close my Sprint account and they told me that I can do it 30 days before the contract is up without penalty. They started doing that about 6 months ago.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Was there a law passed requiring cell providers to do this? If so, you could let someone in management know and drop the "lawsuit" bomb on them. I guess they need that ETF money to sponsor NASCAR because that's the only way I even know they still exist.

14. crobbins macrumors 6502

I fought and fought with Sprint and actually got them to drop all the ETF fees..I don't remember how off the top of my head, but they did (this is when the first iPhone came out)..I believe people talk about other ways to get out of them if you look online.

I would say this is a bad practice, but I feel like some cell phone companies deserve it..their service is awful and they constantly made errors in their favor on my bill..

15. spikedfo macrumors regular

that seems soundness .. :)

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

There are people on the www.sprintusers.com, who are actual sprint workers, who are saying that the prorated ETFs will occur on and after 11/2/08. HOWEVER, and this is where Sprint will screw you, this prorated ETF only applies to new contract signed on or after 11/2/08.

Instant oatmeal.

17. ~Phi macrumors regular

After 8 years with Sprint, I bit the bullet and paid the $600 ETF for my 3 lines. Couldn't be happier. :D

18. Pared macrumors 65816

My Sprint service was much more remarkable in NYC than AT&T's "more coverage."

I would still be with them if it weren't for the iPhone. I'm sure a lot of you would say the same thing about your old carriers.

If Apple makes a device that can be used on Sprint or Verizon I'm jumping ship immediately.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

20. ibbieta macrumors member

Funny, my contract with Sprint expires Nov 3, and I don't know if I can hold out for the next firmware upgrade.

21. icewing macrumors 6502

Good luck on holding out - you'll need that $400 to pay for the increased price with AT&T.

Having said that, I switched from a Treo 650 on Sprint at the end of August, and I couldn't be happier. The phone's voice quality is so much better, haven't had any more dropped calls than with Sprint (1 or 2 in 2 months), and the iPhone is amazing - everything I thought the Treo was going to be.

You'll love it!

22. Barbs thread starter macrumors regular

great. Only for new contracts after Nov 2nd.

23. Barbs thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to get verification from Sprint on this. I talked with them about 45 days ago and was told that I would get charged an ETF even if I cancelled on the very last day of my contract. My contract ends 2/14/09 and was told I would have to port my number out on 2/15/09 or later to not get an ETF charge.

Can you point me to a policy posted online that backs up what you say?

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yeah, so you're screwed. I would wait until contract is done with, if it's not too long.

Maybe you could beg them to end it.

I am currently with Sprint and am thinking about switching (jumping the ship like all the other millions that have left them over the last 2 years - http://androidguys.com/?p=927). I have been with them 7+ years and have recently given them to sway me into another contract. I e-mailed them numerous times asking them if they would lower the price of the Touch Pro (not to a ridiculous price, but something reasonable) which is currently $299. The plan I would want would be 2 Touch Pros with data plans and then 2 extra lines of talk-only (for my wife's parents).

Not only did they outright refuse to lower the price, they said that my nights would now start at 7pm (they currently start at 6pm - while paying no extra price). Additionally, the in-law's talk-only lines would be raised to $19.99 per line (I currently pay $9.99 per line for these 2 extra lines).

Talk about being non-flexible. There has been a mass exodus from Sprint over the last 2 years and supposedly, they been trying to get better at retention. Well, that is a joke. Instead of trying to retain numbers to make a profit, they are gouging their current ones. That stinks. And I wanted to sign a 4 line family plan!!

IDK, maybe I should call retentions, but I am so disgusted at them. Or, maybe I'll call just to see how low they will actually go, if at all.

The best thing that could happen to Sprint right now would for them to be bought up by T Mobile's parent company. Their Q3 earnings are coming out on November 7th. Get ready to laugh.

25. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Count me in as another person leaving Sprint. It started last month when my daughter got her own AT&T account (I had given her my old iPhone). I was able to cancel her Sprint number because it was out of contract. I then bought me a new iPhone 3G about 3 weeks ago. I still have 2 more Sprint numbers which I plan to port over to AT&T (one will be an iPhone for my wife) in January when the contract expires. I had been with Sprint a long time, but just got tired of poor customer service plus I absolutely love my iPhone and can't imagine having any other phone besides it.