Sprint International Factory Unlocked iPhone replacement overseas question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Dec 4, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

If a sprint iPhone is being used overseas permanently and is in need of a replacement would they give a factory unlocked iPhone considering a sprint activation is not possible overseas and per the new policy it would be locked anyways

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's a good question.
    The carrier properties might transfer to the new replacement and you might be stuck.
    I also heard with firmware updates or restores Sprint might lock those international GSM unlocked 4S models back.
    Its a risk.

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

im a 100% sure once its unlocked they will not and cannot unlock it I know this cause I bought it at 5.0 factory unlocked and since than have upgraded to 5.0.1 but the question remind if i strictly use it overseas and need a replacement i don't see the point of them giving me sprint

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Offcourse you dont see a point in getting a Sprint locked iphone but that's what you're handing in for a replacement and usually when they input the iphones serial in their system you get the same replacement.
    Same reason you cant bring in a locked AT&T iphone and get a factory unlocked in return. Its an automated process. Up to you if you want to give it a shot, you might get lucky or not.
    About Sprint locking back all their 4S iphones Im not 100% if they did or not but there was lots of talk about it last month.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/11/sprint-to-lock-iphone-4s-sims-starting-november-11th/
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sprint-to-Lock-iPhone-4S-Starting-Today-234074.shtml

5. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm very clear on that as others should be which is that if you bought before november 11th it is full factory unlocked for international use permanently however after november 11th they are locked at time of activation with sprint and can ONLY be unlocked if you have a good standing account with sprint for 90 days. Again once any phone is unlocked it will not be locked again.

I do understand with respect to getting like for like based on the serial number or imei but in the case of AT&T it is always locked local and international in the case of sprint it is factory unlocked.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I'm with Sprint and did check on this. Any iPhone 4S models activated before 11/11 are unlocked and stay that way, even if you restore. Any activated on 11/11, or after are locked. A replacement phone would also be locked upon activation.

7. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agreed and correct, my question was obviously if I'm using it strictly overseas and go to apple authorized reseller or whatever overseas or call them from overseas and that is where i will pretty much be using the phone, than what? seems like a very gray area

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, its a good question. The Sprint 4S is locked in the US only to Sprint and wont work with any other CDMA or GSM carrier like Verizon, Tmobile or AT&T. Your Sprint iphone is not what they call or sell as "factory Unlocked" but the GSM side of it is unlocked when traveling outside the US. You might need to activate the replacement again with Sprint in order to let you in to the homescreen.
    Up to you if you want to give it a shot and let us know how it went.
    Where do you plan on replacing it if you dont mind us asking?

9. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

will be traveling in about 3 weeks to Dubai & Pakistan. Interestingly so I was at the apple store the other night and my own suspicion was confirmed by an apple genius, which was to say that ALL iPhone 4s are identical in hardware and software they all have the same exact CDMA and GSM radios and basically are locked to the particular carriers by the means of serial numbers. If Apple wanted to they can unlock ALL of them and you can use anything on anyone lol

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, its all the same exact hardware and unlocks are handled by Apples servers using software.
    Sucks that they're not all unlocked. Either way if you're paying an ETF, fullfiling your contract or paying full price it would be nice if they all become unlocked at the end.

11. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

seriously agree, its interesting how US cell carriers RIP the customers off considering in most other countries once you fulfill your agreement or pay an ETF they unlock any phone at your request.