Carrier Sprint iPad Retina Mini or Air on other carriers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EZB, Nov 16, 2013.

1. EZB macrumors newbie

If I buy a Sprint iPad Retina Mini or Air from the Apple store, what other carriers can I use it on? It is very important to me that I be able to use a T-Mobile SIM in it. I would also like to be able to use AT&T or even Verizon SIMs as needed though.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then may I suggest buying a TMobile version? :confused:

3. EZB thread starter macrumors newbie

I did, but it will take too long to get here. I am able to get to an Apple store today and buy a Sprint one.

4. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

They all will work. T-mobile and att are easy to set up. Just get a sim and sign up for data. Verizon is a bit of a hassle. You will have to buy a SIM card off of eBay( stores don't give them out), find an imei # of any Verizon tablet, then activate the sim with that imei. You can swap in the sim then.

5. EZB thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. So for Verizon, I need to activate the SIM with "any" Verizon data-only device? I can then just get rid of the device and use the SIM in the iPad? Is that because the SIM is activated and thus works on the iPad? How about for no-contract options? Can I pay for some months, but not others, on Verizon?

6. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Yes you can do that. That's basically what I'm odium at the moment. I have an att retina mini and I swapped in my already active verizon sim. The thing with Verizon sims (from what I heard) they go inactive after not using data for a certain amount of time(this is on the data only plan with a verizon version of the iPad). If you looking to start up data and not use it after a month or so, I say Verizon version is your best bet unless you want to buy a new sim every time. Tmo should be easy to get data when you want.

7. EZB thread starter macrumors newbie

According to http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/01/prepaid-tablet-data-plans-compared.html,

using it every 4 months is not too bad, but can I, say, get the $20 1 GB plan for only 1 month and then not use it for 3 months, turn it on again, etc?

I could also just get the Verizon version after 30 days when it is more available and return the Sprint one I can get now...but thats risky and annoying

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I guess you can do that but I don't know if you will another device to start and stop data before you put the sim in. If you want Verizon with stop and go data, I would just get their version.

9. EZB thread starter macrumors newbie

I would do that, but they are as sold out as everybody but Sprint, so getting a Verizon version means waiting.

10. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

Then I would use tmo and att. Verizon will work, don't get me wrong, the sim just has to be active by other means.