Sprint iPhone 5 on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timize, May 7, 2013.

1. timize macrumors regular

timize

Hey guys...

I have a family member who has a black iPhone 5 on Sprint. Is it possible to:

• Unlock it?
    • Use it on Verizon?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

No it's totally impossible. Sprint and Verizon do not allow you to bring devices from other networks.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

No that will not work. Just sell the phone and buy a Verizon one.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It can be unlocked for international GSM/HSPA+/LTE networks, so your best bet would be to ask Sprint to unlock it, and then sell it. And buy a Verizon iPhone 5 from the proceeds.

Technically, the hardware for both types of phones are the same. Unfortunately, both Verizon and Sprint have made policy decisions where they will not allow phones from other carriers on their networks, even if they sell the identical model. If the MEID of the phone doesn't match up with their inventory, the activation system will refuse to provision the phone. There is no override for this.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

6. Blinkme64 macrumors newbie

Sprint iPhone 5 on Verizon

The iPhone 5 I'm using on my Sprint account right now is a Verizon white box phone from the Apple Store I got last year at the end of September when none of their Sprint phones would work on my account. If I do a hard reset it lets me choose from either Sprint or Verizon, so there's that.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try using that on Verizon and see how far you get.
    You just got a replacement from Apple and once you selected Sprint as the carrier it locked to Sprint.
    So there's that....

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yup. It devolved pretty quickly into "Bring Your Own Device, as long as we've run the device through rigorous testing so that it doesn't 'damage' our network," much like old Ma Bell tried to do in the '60s and '70s.

Ultimattely, only 1 or 2 devices got the approval.

9. Baggio macrumors 6502

Only way to get it to work is if you can get a Verizon employee to add the ESN number of the Sprint phone into Verzon's network, so the towers can recognize it. Good luck with that, unless you know an insider higher up the chain of command. More than likely it won't be done.