Sprint Iphone 5 that doesn't suck?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jay724, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Jay724 macrumors member

Does anyone have a Sprint Iphone 5 that doesn't suck? This is for the people that don't have LTE available yet. I can't do anything on it without being on Wifi. 3g speeds are god awful. I'm in Los Angeles and supposedly 3g is enhanced now, but I'm not experiencing that all. I have 8 days left before I'm stuck with Sprint, but I heard LTE will be hitting Los Angeles real soon. I don't know if I should take the risk and hope that their LTE will solve these issues or just switch to Verizon.

2. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

They just started Network Vision in LA. It should be ready along with LTE at the end of the year.

What speeds are you getting on 3G?

3. Jay724 thread starter macrumors member

At work in Culver City I get pretty good speeds, about .70-1.0 mbps, but everywhere else is god awful like .02-.40 mbps. I first heard the Network Vision was suppose to be launched in Sept and now I hear it's Oct. When I checked their coverage map it said I had best coverage. That was obviously a lie.

4. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

If you just started your contract with Sprint, I would seriously consider switching to Verizon.

Verizon LTE coverage in OC and LA is amazing.

This is the Sprint iPhone 5 on 3G vs the Verizon iPhone 5 on LTE in Orange County.

Attached Files:

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not the iPhone 5 that sucks in this case. It's the network you're on. So, technically, just about all Sprint iPhone 5 units that aren't in an LTE area are going to "suck." And the moment the non-"sucky" iPhone 5s move out of Sprint LTE coverage, guess what? They're gonna "suck."

6. Jay724 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know that. Sorry I should've made my title more clearer.

7. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I'm having a similar problem. I haven't had too much problem with data but my both my and my wife's phones have had bad battery life. Like 4:30 usage. I think its because we roam occasionally. I really don't want limited date though...

8. Jay724 thread starter macrumors member

There's really no point in having Unlimited Data if you can't use it.

9. cdebnil macrumors regular

If Houston didn't have LTE, I probably would have stayed with ATT and my Iphone4 and continued to get throttled....Pretty happy with Sprint so far with my Iphone5. Have been on LTE the entire time and everywhere I've driven around Houston so far. Good speeds anywhere from 4mb-20 mb down and 3-10 up.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

11. Jay724 thread starter macrumors member

If you read a few posts up. I stated that I should've made the title more clearer. I know it's not the Phone it's the Sprint Network.

12. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I have Sprint. My LTE is fast as hell. My 3G is about 4 times faster than it was on my iPhone 4. I am happy.

13. Jay724 thread starter macrumors member

You're one of the lucky ones then. What speeds are you getting 3g and LTE? And where are you located?

14. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

post pics of your speed pls

15. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

How's LTE indoors?

16. cdebnil macrumors regular

Here's a speed test from this morn...In a skyscaper in downtown Houston (metal/concrete structure) 65 floors up.

Attached Files:

17. Justinm59 macrumors regular

I just checked my data usage over the past year and a half with AT&T unlimited. Apparently I've only eclipsed 1gig three times in 17 months and 1.8 is my max. LTE on Verizon my increase those numbers a bit but I think my wife and I will be ok sharing 4gigs.

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i know you say you are in a metal structure but damn.. full service on lte and only 4 down.

19. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

And your happy with that?

Here is my AT&T speed test result from yesterday in a Data Center in the middle of a re-enforced building in central Florida.

[​IMG]

Ditch Sprint while you still can.

20. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

21. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I read that Sprint's LTE won't penetrate that good, but it looks like it's working well for you.

22. formulatwo macrumors member

That's why I would not go with Sprint. Their concept is great but their network needs a lot of work. Being from San Diego, SoCal has a much better Sprint network then the rest of the nation. As scary as that sounds it is true

23. cdebnil macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm happy with it...My Verizon Ipad LTE is giving me like 2-3 MB from the same office....Also, i've used 2 GB since Monday...Don't really see a need for 50 MB downloads....at 4-20mb (what Sprint has given me consistently the past 3 days) you can view Netflix videos in HQ, listen to Spotify at the highest bit rates, and load most websites in 3-4 seconds....Incremental real world difference between 4-20mb and 10-50mb on ATT. Would rather have the unlimited and not get throttled 2 weeks into the month like I was with ATT. Now if I was traveling quite a bit, it would be annoying not having Sprint LTE and having to use 3g...Lucky for me, whenever I travel the company fits the bill for my Ipad's data so I can just tether my Iphone5 to it if I feel that Sprint is too slow and use Verizon.

----------

Yeah, I'm not sure if LTE works the same way as 3g, but from my experience it seems like the signal strength doesn't really effect data rates...Noticed this with my Verizon Ipad LTE speed tests. Seems to depend more on load on the tower etc.

24. cvaldes macrumors 68040

You made the same mistake a lot of people do. You went hook-line-and-sinker for Sprint's marketing claims without doing the basic research on their network quality in your area.

Take heart that you are not alone.

What you should have done is ask the people around you about cellular network quality. Not the people here at MacRumors, but literally, the people who are near you (your next door neighbors, work colleagues, people at any schools you attend, etc.).

I suggest you return your iPhone 5 to Sprint, cancel your Sprint contract, and select a carrier that doesn't suck so much based on personal conversations with people who use the exact same celltowers as you for most of your mobile use.

Good luck.

25. cdebnil macrumors regular

Good advise...I spoke with neighboors and even tried out an EVO LTE for a little while before I decided to give up my ATT unlimited plan...Really depends on your individual situation. If you're not a datahog like me or don't live in an LTE city, I would avoid Sprint. Only get it if you are consistantly throttled and live in an LTE city.