Sprint iPhone 5 Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youslippin, Apr 9, 2013.

1. youslippin macrumors member

Hi, so my sprint iPhone 5 is unlocked for international sims. I was just thinking, would it be possible to pop an international t-mobile sim in the phone and activate u.s. t-mobiel service using the t-mobile international sim?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think you get it.
    It will work with any international GSM SIM outside the US.
    You cant put a tmobile USA sim and use it INSIDE the US.
    To make a long story short no, it wont work in order to get tmobile service in the US.
    Sell it and get one that works for tmobile. The new models coming out in a few days will support all tmobiles 3G bands and their LTE.

3. youslippin thread starter macrumors member

I don't think you read my post properly. I know I can't put a USA based t-mobile sim. My Sprint iPhone supports international T-mobile sim cards as per the sprint unlock. I just want to know if I am able to activate service in the us using an international sim. I called T-mobile and spoke to 3 reps who actually had no clue if I could and pretty much told me to try and get my hands on an international sim and see what happens.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's no such thing as a Tmobile USA international sim.
    They're all the same sims, when you go outside the US it just roams on other networks that's all.
    If you put a UK Vodafone or O2 for example sim in it will work in the US but you will be roaming and racking up crazy charges.

5. youslippin thread starter macrumors member

huh? i never said there was such a thing as a "Tmobile USA international sim"

Anyway, I spoke to a different rep just now and was told that if I insert an international t-mobile sim that I will just be roaming here in the united states with no way to active for U.S. service.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's many Tmobile named wireless companies throughout the world.
    Tmobile USA, tmobile UK, Tmobile Germany and Tmobile is setup in over 11 European countries.
    What tmobile sim where you talking about? A US phone number Tmobile sim card or one from Croatia for example?

7. dextr3k macrumors 6502

If you are using an international T-Mobile sim, from another country, you'd need service with T-mobile XX, and then you would be internationally roaming in US, costing you whatever ridiculous roaming charges to get service.

I think you are just confused by the name.

T-Mobile USA might as well be named Springfield Cellphone Service as far as your international T-Mobile sim is concerned. T-Mobile is the same parent company, but its carrier services in each country are their own entity, and thus you would not just get local service if you are a t-mobile customer from UK.

So if you have T-Mobile UK or whatever, yes, you can plug it into your Sprint iPhone, and you will probably get service on T-Mobile USA, but you will be charged international roaming rates back where this sim is from. You cannot use the sim and register it for T-Mobile USA. They wouldn't know what to do with it.

8. giroto macrumors newbie

Sprint iPhone 5 Unlock

Hi, can you help me to unlock my iPhone 5 Sprint (Black) 6.1.3, to use outside US?

How you unlocked your?

Thanks.

9. eyoungren, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

1. Get service with Sprint.
    2. Be on Sprint for a minimum of 6 months and pay your bill on time each month.
    3. Pick up your cell phone and
    4. Call Sprint International Services
    5. Explain to them that you want to unlock your Sprint iPhone for international use.
    6. Follow their instructions. Done.

If you cannot for any reason meet #s 1 and 2 because you do not reside in the United States or are only here for a very short time - then you are screwed. If you bought your Sprint iPhone on eBay or somewhere else thinking all you had to do was get Sprint to unlock it or find some other easy way to unlock it with the understanding that you'd only be in the United States for a short period of time - you are screwed.

Sell the phone, or follow the instructions. You must be a current Sprint customer in good standing to get an international unlock. SPRINT WILL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES UNLOCK AN IPHONE FOR INTERNATIONAL USE IF YOU ARE NOT A CUSTOMER AND IN GOOD STANDING.

10. Tarheeldiver macrumors newbie

How long did it take for your unlock from Sprint? I talked to them last night and I have tried updating today and I'm not getting unlocked message. I may not be doing something right, any hints?

Thanks

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't have an unlock. I simply related the instructions/information as I understand it from the Sprint BAW forums.

The last time I was outside the country was 1985 when I was 14 and my job does not require travel so I've never needed an unlock.