Sprint Iphone 5s says SIM unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spider101, Oct 5, 2013.

1. spider101 macrumors newbie

I just bought a used iPhone 5s off Amazon and when I checked the phone imei at iphoneIMEI.info, it said 'SIM Lock: Unlocked'. But it doesn't seem right as we all know Sprint doesn't unlock iPhone. Someone now what's going on?

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Sprint will unlock under certain circumstances.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

They will unlock for international use if you have been a customer for at least 60 days. However, it will not work with US SIMs.

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Just out of curiosity did you buy it from Apple or the carrier? I bought mine from Apple and it says unlocked. My fiancée'a I bought from Sprint and it says Locked...

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Pop in a AT&T or T-Mobile SIM and report back

----------

Pop in a AT&T or T-Mobile SIM and report back

6. spider101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Becaust I got it for cheap ($550, no tax, no activation fee)

Unfortunately, I don't have access to anyone with a nano sim at the moment.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Unless you are a Sprint customer you just paid $550 for an iPod Touch.

Sprint under no circumstances will ever unlock for domestic use. The best possible outcome is that you may get 3G only on T-Mobile. Sprint uses UICC SIM cards which are paired to the device. Without the SIM card you cannot get LTE. Only that SIM card works with that iPhone 5 because it checks anytime you access the Sprint network. Another Sprint SIM card will not work and can only be reprogrammed at Apple or a Sprint store. You cannot store contacts, phone numbers, or any other sort of personal data on this type of SIM card (that Sprint uses) because Sprint has locked it down and encrypted it to prevent you from doing that.

If it's international unlocked you can use an international SIM. Other than that, like I said, you bought an iPod Touch if you are not a Sprint customer. BTW, if you do decide to become a Sprint customer with this phone or are a Sprint customer, unless you argue with them there will be a $36 activation fee, unless this is an ESN swap.

8. spider101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm a current Sprint customer. So it appears that the 'unlock' is only for international. I didn't have to pay for activation fee because the phone had already been activated (used).

To be honest, I don't like Sprint policies and the only reason I'm staying with them is that I pay only $50 for virtually unlimited everything, and I don't use data that much (but still would like to have LTE eventually)

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Cool. Yeah, I don't care for the policy either (I'm a Sprint customer too - since 1999). However, realistically, where would anyone take a fully unlocked Sprint iPhone?

Unless the GSM radios can operate on AT&T/T-Mobile frequencies you couldn't go there. And Verizon has a differen CDMA band than Sprint. T-Mobile has a CDMA band that the Sprint iPhone supports. Maybe it's different now that the 5c and 5s support more frequencies, IDK.

Hopefully you get LTE soon. You can check s4gru.com in their forums to see the updates on the Network Vision rollout though. It's finally here in Phoenix, which is good because I was seriously considering swallowing the ETF and moving to T-Mobile.

Just got it at home in the last week and it's been great. Not blazing, but far, far better than the basement level 3G speeds I've been stuck on.

10. bwsteg macrumors 6502

I just check the site you posted and my 5s also says unlocked. I purchased directly from apple and never called sprint to unlock for international use.