Sprint LTE is *Unofficially* LIVE in LA!

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
At least where I am, in the Valley (Northridge). Im beyond stoked right now. Getting download speeds in the low twenties, and uploads around 6-10mbps or so. More than enough for a phone. Best of all: My Data is unlimited! Super stoked! If you're in LA, flip that LTE switch on and see if towers are live in your area!

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
At least where I am, in the Valley (Northridge). Im beyond stoked right now. Getting download speeds in the low twenties, and uploads around 6-10mbps or so. More than enough for a phone. Best of all: My Data is unlimited! Super stoked! If you're in LA, flip that LTE switch on and see if towers are live in your area!
Congrats!

Wish AT&T LTE was in the Valley :mad:

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Congrats!

Wish AT&T LTE was in the Valley :mad:
I was SERIOUSLY going to switch to AT&T two weeks ago, because I couldnt deal with Sprints 3G. Couldnt even stream Pandora. Decided to stick it out, and Im so happy I did!!!

koolhand79

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I work out that way. I sure hope I can experience it soon. I'm gonna have to check tomorrow

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I was SERIOUSLY going to switch to AT&T two weeks ago, because I couldnt deal with Sprints 3G. Couldnt even stream Pandora. Decided to stick it out, and Im so happy I did!!!
Congrats! but make sure you stay in the valley.. :D

1rottenapple

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2004
That's good news. Wonder how long the roll out to la will be. The issue I see is there 3G is so slow. If you out of LTE it would suck.

SAMtheGAM

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
In a press release I read a while back LTE in Los Angeles, CA was coming before the end of the year. Looks like Sprint will meet it's goal.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
In a press release I read a while back LTE in Los Angeles, CA was coming before the end of the year. Looks like Sprint will meet it's goal.
Definitely. Ofcourse, every tower wont be upgraded when it launches, just a chunk of the market. Was supposed to go LIVE this month, and yes, it looks like they're meeting that goal! Im super glad LTE is where I live though!

ChoonkyMoonky

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
LTE was working for me today in the Downtown LA area. I also have friends in Burbank with LTE From Sprint

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
LTE was working for me today in the Downtown LA area. I also have friends in Burbank with LTE From Sprint
Its awesome isnt it? Im on LTE as I type this. Ive already used over 2GB in less than 2 days lol Glad we're unlimited!

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I too noticed it today!! I was like "WAIT WHAT?!?" but didn't think anything else of it, since I just got a iPhone/smartphone 2 days ago, so I'm not sure what is normal and what isn't.

----------

Now if only Time Warner Cable would give up that monopoly on Laker games... :rolleyes: :mad:

People are going to be outraged when the season starts. I have Charter and so does Pasadena/Alhambra, and a lot of other places.

snakesayan

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Chicago
Are you serious!!! I'm in Long Beach!! Ima See right now and see! So all I gotta do is flip the LTE switch on and it'll change from saying Sprint 3G to LTE?

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
Its awesome isnt it? Im on LTE as I type this. Ive already used over 2GB in less than 2 days lol Glad we're unlimited!

just wait until everyone starts using 2gb in 2 days, you will be back down to those 3g speeds before you know it.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Are you serious!!! I'm in Long Beach!! Ima See right now and see! So all I gotta do is flip the LTE switch on and it'll change from saying Sprint 3G to LTE?
It depends, if they have turned on, and are testing towers in your area, then yea you will.

just wait until everyone starts using 2gb in 2 days, you will be back down to those 3g speeds before you know it.
Not really. Theres more bandwidth, which means data takes less time to travel for what everyone is doing. Even if speeds do slow down, and get down to say 10mbps, thats still more than enough bandwidth for an iPhone to do ANYTHING. Stop hating Lol

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
It depends, if they have turned on, and are testing towers in your area, then yea you will.

Not really. Theres more bandwidth, which means data takes less time to travel for what everyone is doing. Even if speeds do slow down, and get down to say 10mbps, thats still more than enough bandwidth for an iPhone to do ANYTHING. Stop hating Lol
enjoy it while it lasts! The flurry of sprint users will now increase and start to boggle down the 4g network.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Good to hear, I actually dropped them because of the slow 3G. Looks like now people have choices as to which carrier they want because LTE is available with all networks in LA now.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I switched to sprint when i got my 2 new iPhone 5's and dropped sprint a week later. could not take the service and went back to AT&T. My main reason was that LTE would not be everywhere so I knew if ever I was in an area that didnt have it I would feel like I was on dial up internet. got out while I could without having to pay the early termination fees. Glad to see that Sprint users are starting to experience the speed in LA

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
As is the case with any carrier. Your point?
well the case with my carrier "boggling down"... is my unlmited verizon is down from 50 mbps to 40 mpbs
i agree though.. no need for people to hate.

glad there are options for other people who arent grandfathered with other carriers.

Chele27

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Sprint LTE in Culver City

I was at Tito's Tacos in Culver City and my LTE icon popped up on my Iphone 5.. I immediately ran a speed test and here are the results:

Dowload : 13.94Mbps
Upload : 6.75 Mbps

I opened up YOUTUBE and clicked on a video, it loaded and played super fast.. really impressed with the speed.. Excited to finally see some LTE going live in LA. I live in the Northridge area so will be checking for any LTE signal up there later today.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
I was at Tito's Tacos in Culver City and my LTE icon popped up on my Iphone 5.. I immediately ran a speed test and here are the results:

Dowload : 13.94Mbps
Upload : 6.75 Mbps

I opened up YOUTUBE and clicked on a video, it loaded and played super fast.. really impressed with the speed.. Excited to finally see some LTE going live in LA. I live in the Northridge area so will be checking for any LTE signal up there later today.
Im loving it dude. My LTE on the corner of Zelzah and Lassen (I go to CSUN) is perfect! Im getting about 25/8.

armandxp

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Wow that's some slow lte.

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Wow that's some slow lte.
A 25mbps connection on an iPhone is slow to you? 0_o

Dont be gullible about other carriers, just because you see 40mbps, and 50mbps test sometimes. I also have access to a VZW line, that only gets between 7-16Mbps on LTE in Los Angeles. And one more thing, I, as im sure most people, would take a 25/8 UNLIMITED LTE line over a 50mbps 2GB tiered line ANYWAY. You wont even notice the difference. Tool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.