Carrier Sprint LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lammercy, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Lammercy macrumors regular

I live in Houston, TX and man Sprint LTE is great in most places but unfortunately my neighborhood doesn't have Sprint LTE. In fact I drop down to 3G as soon as I exit the freeway. I assumed that this just meant that they hadn't yet finished their LTE rollout in my area but driving around yesterday not too far from home my phone picked up pretty solid LTE. Does this mean that the rollout for my area has been completed and my exact neighborhood/area has missed out on it or is this just the process? Am I way over thinking things??

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

It just means that sprint in general sucks. Check out the speed test thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1449989

Everybody with Tmo/AT&T/VZW is getting 20+Mbps average LTE speeds, many getting over 40Mbps. Some guy using AT&T in Boston is getting 70Mbps.

I dont think theres a sprint guy getting more than 15Mbps on LTE.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Once again…..everyone using an iPhone and on a Mac/iOS forum must be guys…. Wow! Just wow!

Anyway, Sprint has not finished their rollout, yet. Some areas are still upgrading equipment or installing new equipment. I live in a large area, but don't pick it up at home yet, either. But it is available around here if I go just a mile or two in any direction.

The former people in charge of that were very negligent and let tons of equipment fall into disrepair or failed to install new or upgrades, when needed.

Thus, right now they are still playing catch up! It could light up in your area at any time.

Sprint isn't the greatest network, but LTE speeds are good and not everyone has complaints.

4. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

Had Sprint for 3 years, just switched last week to ATT. It's like im piloting a rocket ship now.

I will NEVER go back to Sprint again!

5. Lammercy thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I referred to you as a male or insinuated that in any way. It doesn't bother me nearly as much because when I'm home I use WiFi. Funny thing is that the busy street that my subdivision sits off of has pretty damn good LTE but from my neighborhood and back it's virtually non existent. I'm sure it'll be here within the year. Other than that Sprint and me get along with one another well. Sorry that everyone else's experience with them seems to be so negative.

6. kendu2412 macrumors regular

Just out of Sprint last month and move to T Mobile .

After 2 years with Sprint , all I can say is Sprint completely joke , advertisement show my area got fully covered LTE on March , and coverage map on main website show that too. But speed with LTE slower than 3G T Mobile. And with 3G Sprint , cant get enough to load mail or website , and never load youtube completely.

Lucky Im out with that company , if they dont fix or improved their service , next few year they will behind MetroPCS .

7. mac.cali macrumors 65816

"Sprint" & "LTE", two words that don't go together. In my area Sprint sucks! I'd rather have dixie cups and string. At least I know that will work.

8. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I have Sprint and LTE just rolled out in my area. I'm getting on average about 16-20 down and 7-11 up. It's no AT&T speeds but it's not awful ..

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

LOL! Not you, the other person that responded to you, just before me.

You're fine!

And yes, many others have negative experiences, but not all of us. I've no complaints about Sprint and I see improvement regularly.

Have a fantastic day!

10. 1981d macrumors regular

Do you get that in your house or in buildings? For the 2 days I had sprint, I got good LTE outdoors and zipzilchnada in doors. I heard it has something to do with their frequency, and ATT/VZW hogging all the low bands.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Getting back to the original question:

No, Sprint's rollout is far from complete. In fact their rollout process is very spotty and piecemeal. LTE will eventually come to your neighborhood as they flesh out the network in dribs and drabs.

12. BishamonX macrumors member

The short version is that you will have LTE coverage in your neighborhood eventually. Sprint is upgrading every tower with LTE.

13. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

In my house I'm not getting half of that ... I'm getting about 7-9 down and 3-5 up. Outside it goes crazy,but inside at home and work is not great

14. Lammercy thread starter macrumors regular

So outside it's pretty good but inside is not? Is there any type of indoor signal booster that Sprint can give?

15. 1981d macrumors regular

I tried a "Wilson electronics" booster from best buy. It had good reviews on cnet, but it could not salvage the sprint signal in my house. I went from zero to one dots to one to two dots. But the signal was still pretty useless.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just to chime in here. Note that the Texas market has got problems with LTE on Sprint because it's one of the few markets that Sprint has with very limited spectrum Even when Sprint finally finishes in TX you may still have issues because the limited spectrum is what's complicating things.

17. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

With Sprint ... even with LTE ... I got erratic an inconsistent data speeds - even with 4 bars. I can't explain it. I had webpages freeze up 30% of the time while loading. I got dropouts during calls whether I was out in Fairfield, California or walking around in the middle of Palo Alto, California.

I didn't know how unacceptable this was until I went to Verizon. My connection is now rock-solid and fast.

I don't care what Sprint promises now. They promised a lot of things over the years and always told me things were going to change for the better. Promises are worthless.

18. Lammercy thread starter macrumors regular

Lol I don't quite know what to make of this. I just left my house to make quick burger run. My neighborhood is not entirely big but pretty moderate sized. I came back home through the back entrance of the subdivision and the street that I live on stretches from one side to the other and what do you know? My iPhone is showing Sprint LTE and I even stopped at the stop sign for a minute to test it and it was incredibly fast however driving just 20 seconds down the street to my house service starts to decrease and I'm back at 3G. Good to see that my area has at least been lit up in parts with good LTE but so weird that my corner of the subdivision hasn't. Oh well to me that's a positive sign that they're still out doing work.

19. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

I wish I knew that in advance.

I have personal experience service through AT&T, Sprint then Verizon. That test is entirely consistent with my personal experience. As I mentioned earlier, with Sprint, I was often baffled when the LTE logo was on but my data transfer was sputtering in and dropping out.

20. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I'm on Sprint ... And while 3G blows...LTE is great[​IMG]

21. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

My LTE is not bad at all outside

Attached Files:

22. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Inside is different

Attached Files:

23. aka777, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

aka777 macrumors 6502a

Sprint's dogma does seem to be Coming Soon. Tmobile on the other hand just flat-out lie. I am sure that they will claim in a year that "We have 5G across the network!", even when half their network is still on 2G E.

24. eyoungren, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think that's down to building penetration. Sprint is operating LTE in the 1900 PCS frequency (as I understand it). That particular frequency does not penetrate or travel distances well.

25. DcGamer05, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

1900mhz sucks thats why sprint has such terrible coverage, well that and because their Sprint....

(like it never even happened) ;)