Sprint Network Vision and the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by a02, Apr 6, 2013.

1. a02 macrumors member

I, like quite a few others, have been less than impressed with the current state of service I am receiving in my area. The question I have is to those now in the upgraded areas. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to stick it out waiting for the upgrades and if they resolve most of the service issues. From what I have heard they are starting work on my market, and just trying to decide whether to wait it out or not.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's probably the most reoccurring lie told by Sprint: "We're working on your area"
    I really doubt it. Seen too many stories about this in person and online. General consensus is they are lying.

3. drir1990 macrumors member

They definitely aren't lying. Sprint is going through and changing out all the equipment at all of their towers. It's a significant investment and of course it is taking a while because it is a serious undertaking that is unlike anything any of the other carriers have done. However, when they are done they will have upgraded their entire native footprint to LTE and their network will easily be able to compete with the big two. I spend half of my time in a city that is almost completed with NV (Chicago) and I can tell you the difference is night and day. In Chicago, my Sprint phone is on par with my work phone through Verizon.

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Sprint blows I'm every aspect of their service! I don't know why people put up with their BS! Their 3G service has NEVER been anywhere remotely close to good and they are taking their sweet time rolling out LTE to po-dunk towns! They are the worst company in wireless, IMO.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

I've looked at their LTE coverage map and have no idea how they went about choosing which cities to rollout to first. They've bypassed many of the major markets in favor of some random small towns for some crazy reason.

Add in the fact that their "3G" network is on par with AT&T and Tmobile Edge data in most places and I can't see any reason for staying with them. To each his own though.

6. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Their 3G data presence may be on par with the AT&T & Verizon but their 3G speeds are laughable. In many, many cases they are below 1Mpbs for DL.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Smaller towns are low-hanging fruit. Fewer users, especially on the old Nextel network, so theyruffle less feathers when they deactivate the Nextel network, repurpose the reclaimed spectrum, and roll out LTE. Then it becomes another "city" to add to the numbers of markets they launched LTE in.

If you ask me, right now it only pays to go with Sprint if you're almost always in an LTE covered market. And even then, on LTE you still don't have the ability to talk and use data, until Sprint deploys Voice over LTE.

8. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I am currently loving Sprint, since Network Vision is underway in my area and not too far off from being completed I have great service and speeds. Infact I am getting better reception and download speeds than an iPhone 4 on Verizon at home, and both services are EV-DO and limited to around 3.2Mbps. LTE is also popping up all over the area as well, and in the few areas I have been on LTE it's been great. I think once Network Vision is 100% completed Verizon and AT&T will have a run for their money.

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Yup, Sprint is a complete joke. Constant excuses for their piss poor network. And it's not like Network Vision seems to be working at all. I've been following all the recent RootMetrics reports in the various cities, and Sprint is consistently LAST in basically every city. Pathetic.

And don't expect NV to solve any issues. Sprint swears that NV is almost done in the Boston area, but it's a big lie. LTE only works in some areas of the city and the EVDO is still ridiculously slow. My company dropped all of our Sprint MiFis (over 250 of them) and switched over to AT&T/VZW ones because Sprint's network never worked.