Sprint Phone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kauai, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I realize this may not be 100% the best area to ask, but this is really the only tech forum I follow, so please allow it. :p

Any way. Don't hate me - I love my iPad and MBA, but I've really been eyeing the new One X (Evo on Sprint) or SGS 3 for Sprint (which has been confirmed as one of the early carriers). I'm also interested in buying these phones outright, because I've realized I'm just a big tech geek who wants to upgrade every year or so.

My iPhone 4S is still on contract. Would it be logical to sell it in order to pay the ETF, and can I then switch my current plan to the new phone? Will the person I sell it too be able to sign up for service just fine?

If this isn't possible then I'm not going to be too depressed; just curious. Am I thinking about this right? Anything else you guys could add?

Thanks.

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

How about this. Sell your iPhone and get a decent carrier like AT&T or Verizon.

If the iPhone is clean and you tell Sprint you're selling it it should be fine.

If you choose to keep Sprint (Who would even do that?) then get the Evo One

3. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a minor and on a family plan. :rolleyes:

I realize Sprint doesn't have the best 3G; but 1.) I usually have WiFi, 2.) It's fine for just web browsing 3.) I live in San Jose/Bay Area so will likely get LTE when it comes soon.

4. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Why go from a carrier with unlimited data to another carrier with limits and all for the same amount of money? I'm sticking with Sprint.

5. lordofthereef, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There are a couple questions that need answered.

1. Is your current carrier Sprint? If so, there really isn't any reason to pay an ETF. Just sell your iPhone and buy the phone you want outright.

2. (this applies only if the answer to question one is "no") Why not just sign a contract and get the phone at a discount? If you want to buy another phone in the future there is nothing stopping you. Just buy it outright next time, while still under contract. Sell your current phone to recoup some of the cost of the new unit.

6. Kauai, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm on Sprint.

No I can not switch.

I'm perfectly happy with it.

Any way. I have another question for you guys. I know that you can switch phones on the plan easily enough, but here is my question. If someone else buy's a phone on contract from Sprint, is it possible that I can activate that phone on my plan and let them activate my iPhone on their plan? Without paying any ETFs? A family member said that they want an iPhone and wouldn't mind doing this, so just wondering if it's even possible? Also - will I still need to buy two cheapie phones as placeholders for the ESN transfer? Thanks.