Sprint store required me to buy accessories with iPhone 5

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
They absolutely wouldn't sell me the phone by itself. There were 3 packages ranging from $79 to $149 that I had to pick from. I wasn't happy but it was the only place that had stock and that was also their justification for doing it. I ended up talking the manager down to $39 for a Speck case that I actually like a lot so it wasn't the worst thing. However it strikes me as a really poor business practice to force accessories on customers.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
Wow, that is the most saddest thing I've ever heard. lol
They're milking their customers.

Just check Apple stores that are a bit far and in not so crowded place. My friend who works at Apple said they have a LOT in stock but no buyers cause of the place the shop is situated in. And it's one of the biggest malls in America. lol

And as al0513 said, file a complaint.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
They absolutely wouldn't sell me the phone by itself. There were 3 packages ranging from $79 to $149 that I had to pick from. I wasn't happy but it was the only place that had stock and that was also their justification for doing it. I ended up talking the manager down to $39 for a Speck case that I actually like a lot so it wasn't the worst thing. However it strikes me as a really poor business practice to force accessories on customers.
You bought in to the lie they told you? In the last 24 hours or even a week ago since pre-sale have you seen any threads where carriers require and demand you buy accessories for the iPhone 5? Nope. You need to file a complaint ASAP. Every carrier has been promoting their accessories package deal and its something they were instructed to pitch to customers but it was given to us as an OPTION. I can't believe you fell for this. I know Sprint is hurting bad but they now have their employees pulling stuff like this? Crazy

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
So what do they threaten you with if you bring back the accessories? I wouldn't have bought the phone with the accessories in the first place. But assuming i had done that, i would have not opened the accessories and brought them back. What could they have done? Nothing really.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
You bought in to the lie they told you? In the last 24 hours or even a week ago since pre-sale have you seen any threads where carriers require and demand you buy accessories for the iPhone 5? Nope. You need to file a complaint ASAP. Every carrier has been promoting their accessories package deal and its something they were instructed to pitch to customers but it was given to us as an OPTION. I can't believe you fell for this. I know Sprint is hurting bad but they now have their employees pulling stuff like this? Crazy
I didn't fall for anything. I vehemently protested but they wouldn't budge. I wanted the phone so accepted it very reluctantly.

Erock2

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
I can almost guarantee that this was not a corporate store. Almost all premium retailers are requiring that iPhones be sold with accessaries. I work at a Verizon Premium Retailer and upper management told us this as well.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Of course I didn't. As I said it was the only place with the phone in stock. I wanted it and chose to play by their rules, well almost.
Play by their rules? Negative. There's no rule that states you are required to purchase anything additional. They must have had an accessory quota to fill or something and suckered/cornered you for something you wanted. You need to file a complaint ASAP man. Don't let them get away with it. You can do the future iPhone 5 sprint owners a favor and get this stopped.

Preed08

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
I've never heard of that. You should call corporate and complain for a large discount

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
So what do they threaten you with if you bring back the accessories? I wouldn't have bought the phone with the accessories in the first place. But assuming i had done that, i would have not opened the accessories and brought them back. What could they have done? Nothing really.
There was a pack of crap Fellowes screen protectors that were bundled into that $39 Speck case, they are on the receipt but have no price next to them. When I got home I realized they tore open the screen protectors! The case was in a package that is already open, the typical Sprint case package so they couldn't force that to appear opened.

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle
Of course I didn't. As I said it was the only place with the phone in stock. I wanted it and chose to play by their rules, well almost.
So why complain if you chose to knowingly buy more things that you wanted to? They didn't MAKE you do anything, you desired got the best of you.

I would have walked out.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I can almost guarantee that this was not a corporate store. Almost all premium retailers are requiring that iPhones be sold with accessaries. I work at a Verizon Premium Retailer and upper management told us this as well.
It definitely IS a corporate store. One I have bought many phones at in the past and NEVER encountered this crap before.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I heard about some AT&T stores pulling shady moves like that.
I wouldnt bother and I would file a complain with the company. Making purchase something you dont want in order to get the phone? That's nonsense.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I agree. No way this was from a Sprint corporate store. Not to be a douche, but can you post the receipt from the store you got it from? If its just an authorized dealer, then you just just made that store a small profit as they make their money on activation and accessories.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
So why complain if you chose to knowingly buy more things that you wanted to? They didn't MAKE you do anything, you desired got the best of you.

I would have walked out.
I felt cornered. On the one hand I really wanted to buy the phone. On the other hand I knew this was utter rubbish and I let them know it too. At the counter next to me a guy was buying the same phone and based on his total I knew with 100% certainty that he did NOT buy any accessories. I confronted the manager about this and he simply said the employee helping the customer would be dealt with!

Erock2

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
It definitely IS a corporate store. One I have bought many phones at in the past and NEVER encountered this crap before.
I would call customer service and see whats up.. or look on the receipt for fine print.. if it doesn't say no returns on accessaries than go ahead and return them :D contracts and fine print work both ways.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I agree. No way this was from a Sprint corporate store. Not to be a douche, but can you post the receipt from the store you got it from? If its an authorized dealer, then you just just made that store a small profit as they make their money on activation and accessories.
Posting the receipt doesn't prove anything. It is 100% absolutely my local Sprint corporate store.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I've been with Sprint for years and I know for a fact they don't do this. File a complaint with Sprint corporate. They'll help you and more than likely get rid of that manager or at least demote him. As a matter of fact you can email dan@sprint.com and you'll get to someone who monitors that address for the more serious complaints which I believe this qualifies as. I sent an email once regarding a problem I was having and got a pretty quick response and a solution to my liking.

Whatever you do don't let this go.

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle
I felt cornered. On the one hand I really wanted to buy the phone. On the other hand I knew this was utter rubbish and I let them know it too. At the counter next to me a guy was buying the same phone and based on his total I knew with 100% certainty that he did NOT buy any accessories. I confronted the manager about this and he simply said the employee helping the customer would be dealt with!
You let yourself get pushed around all because you couldn't wait. While I agree with the others, you should file a complaint, you should not have bought that phone and the "package."