Sprint Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pilot1226, Mar 7, 2012.

1. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I'm not sure if anyone is using the tethering package from Sprint, but I found out some info about it:

In my opinion, it's overpriced compared to competitors, but here is what I discovered after some brief chatting with customer service...

1. It's $30 per month for 5 GB of TETHERED data. Your phone data is still unlimited, and they have the ability to distinguish between the two through some way the packets of data are sent.

2. The plan is PRORATED, so if you're going on Vacation for a week, and you're not sure you'll have Wifi access, you can activate your hotspot, and deactivate it a week later. A typical billing cycle is I believe 30 days, so 7/30 is 23.34% of the month. You'll end up paying 23.34% of $30, or $7.00 for your week of tethered data. This could be must cheaper than using a Hotel or Airport wifi.

3. They are considering but not close to deploying a smaller plan, such as $15/month for 1 GB of tethered data. If customers demand a feature like this, it's more probably they could deploy something like this. This is ESPECIALLY important because it appears that Sprint will be left off the iPad 3 3G/4GLTE carriers because of it's slow deployment of 4G. This could be huge in getting revenue compared to competitors.

So, anyone actually use the Sprint tethering? I know Sprint speeds tend to be on the slower side, but is it similar to the speeds I'm seeing on my phone now? I'm considering an iPad 3, and I'd prefer a Wifi model and hotspot as needed.

Thanks!

2. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

yet another reason to jailbreak and use tetherme/mywi

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am guessing they reserve the right to charge you for the tethered data under their current tethering pricing if you are found to have been tethering. Just a guess though.

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

yeah right, Sprint is hurting so much they really don't care what you do...

when I had my Windows mobile phone I would tether about 18gb a month and I never heard a peep out of them.

and because of this, when everyone bashes Sprint, I am always the first to stand up and say, "you know what, they arn't so bad, or as picky as some of the other Cell carriers in the US"

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I did the same with ATT yp until about six months ago (well probably not 18GB, but I did tether a lot since where we lived our net was bad). Will they do it? Maybe not. All I am saying is that they likely reserve the right to do so...

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I have tethered either by paying when no jailbreak was available or root method on android for years now. I use 10+ gb a month and never have got any warning or anything. I used 8gb the first 2 days of my billing cycle this month downloading the Godfather trilogy to my iPad 2 ;)