Sprint to AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trvsglr, Jan 20, 2013.

1. trvsglr macrumors member

trvsglr

Would I be able to use an iPhone 5 from Sprint on my AT&T plan?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Nope. I have spoken to AT&T and other GSM carriers about this many times as well as Sprint and other CDMA carriers to see if phones purchased would be compatible. ALL of the companies said "no."

3. trvsglr thread starter macrumors member

trvsglr

Ok thank you very much. From what I understand though you can use a Verizon iPhone 5 with an AT&T sim card in it?

4. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Correct. You can swap the sim card from a Verizon iPhone 5 and it will function on the AT&T network.

You can sell the Sprint iPhone for some good money, and maybe even have money left over when buying a phone from AT&T at the 2 year contract price.

5. trvsglr thread starter macrumors member

trvsglr

Great to hear thank you, Will an AT&T iPhone 5 work on Verizon then? Or does that have to be unlocked?

6. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

From my understanding, the AT&T model will not function on Verizon. Only the Verizon model will be compatible with Verizon and AT&T and even T-Mobile.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

No AT&T or T-Mobile LTE on the Verizon iPhone 5. Only HSPA+

8. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Sell the Sprint iPhone5 on CL, and buy an AT&T one for LTE.

9. trvsglr thread starter macrumors member

trvsglr

So if I get a Verizon iPhone 5 all I have to do is put my AT&T SIM card in the Verizon phone and it will work?

10. trvsglr thread starter macrumors member

trvsglr

Thank you everyone for your input, I got everything takin care of no problem!

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

For some reason, Sprint's iPhone 5 is locked from the GSM carrier. The only CDMA iPhone 5 that lets you use other GSM carriers is Verizon. I'd sell the Sprint iPhone 5 and get a new one with AT&T.

Quick question, why would you want to buy a Verizon iPhone 5 instead of getting the AT&T one? Are you on a prepaid AT&T plan? Would it really matter if you got the Verizon one since they both cost the same?

12. trvsglr thread starter macrumors member

trvsglr

Quick question, why would you want to buy a Verizon iPhone 5 instead of getting the AT&T one? Are you on a prepaid AT&T plan? Would it really matter if you got the Verizon one since they both cost the same?[/QUOTE]

I have an AT&T plan and I had a white iPhone 5. My friend has a black iPhone 5 for Verizon and wanted to trade. So after everyone on here told me I could use my current SIM card in it no problem I figured why not. I didn't realize how sharp the black one really is. Plus my last 3 iPhones were white so it's a nice change. He has some kind of weird prepaid SIM card that his card worked in both iPhone's with no problem. It's like a straight talk type SIM I think.