Sprint to Verizon Pros v Cons?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulie6978, Sep 17, 2012.

1. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

seriously debating breaking contract with sprint ($200 etf fee) and heading to verizon.

sprint in my area sucks and im too impatient to wait for the LTE

Verizon seems to be established with LTE.

Does anyone have a list of pros v cons they think ?

thanks!

2. dwburnell macrumors regular

Only thing I can think of is you can't have unlimited data on Verizon, if that doesn't matter to you it's really just coverage in your area and which one works best and from your post seems like Verizon!

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Cons:
    - Verizon is more expensive.
    - ETF.

Pros:
    - Better LTE coverage

I'm not sure the voice coverage will be better - doesn't Sprint piggyback off of Verizon's voice network?

4. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Sprint can roam on Verizon's voice network. Verizon's LTE coverage is far superior to everywhere else right now so that's why I'm switching. I don't care about unlimited data as I never had it. I'm on WiFi all day at work and when I'm at home. I also have a MiFi I use for my laptop while I'm on the train commuting. So basically I never use data except when I'm bumming around town on the weekends or traveling. I did sign up for 2 Verizon iPhones on a shared data plan. It was 3am and I was half asleep and didn't know what I was doing but my monthly service is going to be $190 for 2 lines. Seems pricy. I'm not touching or calling Vz until after I have the 2 new iPhones in hand. I don't want to risk screwing anything up or canceling my order inadvertently by some wahoo Verizon customer service person trying to change my plan.

----------

Also, if you haven't purchased an iPhone yet, I think you have to wait 8 years or something now. :)

5. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

6. kalexn macrumors 6502

Sprint can roam on the Verizon network. Is the LTE really that important? I am on Sprint and my brother is on Verizon. I love having the unlimited data and spending a lot less on my bill than he spends on his where he is limited with the data. But it completely depends on your usage.

7. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

Im making the switch and im not looking back. I was more sure after sending an email to dan@sprint.com and some lady called me and they said Atlanta has LTE but my friends with non-iphones still have ****** service. Basically, they couldnt work with me so i will pay the $300 and keep it moving :D
    Ive always wanted to be with Verizon but they wanted like $750 deposit from me in the past :-|

8. Nathan576 macrumors regular

i switched, i say do it sprint is one of the worst companies in the usa i hope they crash and burn

even on the iphone 4 the difference in the 3g speed and overall reception is 100x better

9. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

Spoken like someone who has never been with AT&T.

10. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

I too plan on leaving Sprint. Though, ill probably do so towards the end of 2013 or so. Im in college, and my parents pay my bill for now haha. But ill be going on my own soon, and switching to AT&T.

11. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

I'm switching to Sprint after ~6 (long, painful, awful) years with AT&T. I couldn't be happier to be rid of AT&T.

12. paulie6978 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

i had ATT and it was getting pricey adn the servic ewas starting to suck. I swithced to Sprint last year at 4s launch.....

Verizon is pricier than sprint but i hear their service is so much better with many LTE locations

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Your going to get faster internet, wider LTE coverage, and wider voice coverage. In exchange your giving up unlimited data and getting a higher bill. I made the same last year and haven't regretted it for a day.(though I still have unlimited, the better coverage in general was enough for me.)

14. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Why would you have to give up unlimited data . You can get unlimited with Verizon;)

15. JokerElite macrumors regular

JokerElite

Not really. Verizon charges you after you go over 2GB. Sprint is the only provider with truly unlimited data. No extra fees and no slowing down of data speed.

And Sprint has free calling after 7PM.

I've gone through AT&T, then switched to Verizon, then switched to Sprint. Although LTE isn't up yet, Sprint has the best plans. All in all, OP can be patient and save some money or spend it only on sooner LTE.

16. alent1234 macrumors 603

sprint is naturally SLOW

check all the speed tests out there

17. mac.cali macrumors 65816

lol. :d:d

18. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I am talking about unlimited data not a 2gig plan :cool:

19. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

seriously. there is no hope for them.

20. ryanrhod macrumors member

Getting a new iPad with Verizon LTE service opened my eyes to what having a proper network with usable data speeds could be like. It's amazing.

I'm dropping Sprint and paying the ETF to get the iphone 5 with Verizon. Very happy about the decision.

21. diegoesk macrumors regular

I left Att for verizon. Data speeds are horrible on 3G.

If i were you- i'd try to wait and see what others have to say about LTE speeds.

22. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

Same here

23. JokerElite macrumors regular

JokerElite

24. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

25. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816