sprint "unlimited data"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ag29, Oct 7, 2014.

1. ag29 macrumors 6502

Just curious, how many of you switched from sprint to another company due to bad 3G/LTE speeds and constant dropped calls?

Also, how many of you with Sprint are lucky enough to live in a good coverage area by them and how satisfied are you with their coverage when traveling?

In my case, sprint's (fake) coverage map was showing that there was excellent LTE coverage, but I had to be lucky to even get 1-2 bars of LTE, and the max speed was 1.5 Mbps at most. Most of the time I would get stuck with a completely unusable 3g speed. Web pages would either not load at all or take at least 2 minutes for 1 simple page to load.

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

3. *KID* macrumors regular

It varies - by my work I get anywhere from 20-27 meg down but near my house it's anywhere from 1-5. But I use wifi at home. We have a camp isolated up north and my phone works there as a phone - slowish data. I've not had dropped calls or phone service problems traveling. I did have almost non existent data when we were in Hawaii but It didn't bother me - so much else to do! I was able to upload photos to face book there but I'd have to wait till I was in a better service area on the island. All in all I've been satisfied, but I also didn't have an LTE phone - I upgraded from a 4S. I debated about switching carriers - but for the price I'm paying and getting subsidized equipment its not worth it yet. When I travel my primary concern is a working phone for calls/texts and I've never had a problem. We travel frequently. I will test LTE speeds when I travel now that I can get it.

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Find and read posts by forum member eyoungren, he is an encyclopedia of sprint and you will learn a lot.

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

All the carriers lie about their maps though.

They all have good and bad areas. Sprint typically works well in large cities and major highways. I have been a few places out in the middle of nowhere and had great service as well. In the end it just depends on your area and usage needs.

Call me a Sprint fanboy but it kind of irks me when people blast them all the time, especially those who either haven't been with them at all or haven't been with them in years.

BTW- Hal- did you shut off your private messages or did the mods ban us from each other? lol.. I came back from ban land and couldn't reply to your message and noticed we weren't friends anymore :( hahaha

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Sorry brotha, lets just say I gotta lay low for a bit until stuff blows over.

Glad to see you back and keep preachin' as always!

7. *KID* macrumors regular

Actually just tested in the house - speeds better than outside on my deck where all my other tests were.

[​IMG]

8. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

Hell I worked for them for 2 years and got the service for free and hated it. Made me glad I never ported my number out from AT&T and stuck with 2 devices. 3G was unbearable and even after LTE launched when it worked it was good but had poor building penetration. It would always drop out in the backroom of the store and even in my house with my phone near the window it could only muster an average 3G signal.

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Love dat' low ping :cool:

[​IMG]

10. koban4max macrumors 68000

back when sprint first announced about their 1st iPhone everybody was cheering...because of unlimited...but now everyone hating sprint?

11. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

Many people who have Sprint have it due to either poor credit history (Sprint is very lenient with running credit, usually low to no deposit where AT&T or Verizon would come back with a $500 deposit), or because the plans were cheaper than AT&T or Verizon and thats what they could afford along with Sprint sticking with unlimited.

So of course there was plenty of excitement from those who wanted the iPhone but couldn't get one due to being on Sprint. Problem is once all these people got iPhones (existing subscribers and the new people that jumped on for unlimited) the network got super overloaded and everyone suffered as a result. A lot of that still exists today with the slow roll out of LTE and network vision.

Sprint reminds me of Samsung. They just throw ideas at the wall and goes with whatever sticks to it.

12. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

It's also area dependent. And in the SF Bay Area, Sprint has had really bad rep for its network coverage. Things were so bad that Sprint had even fewer customers than MetroPCS (prior to the T-Mobile merger). I haven't checked Sprint's network coverage in several months, but I remember my friend's phone showing a lot of gaps.

My main issue with them is their increasingly arcane practice of locking down their devices, and not allowing customers to bring Sprint phones to any other domestic carrier, including Virgin Mobile, Sprint's own MVNO service. Don't know if this changed with the iPhone 6/6 Plus, but that lockdown policy eliminated Sprint on the first cut when I was choosing mobile plans last year.

13. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

It is NOT unlimited data if there is no signal. LOL

14. koban4max macrumors 68000

Your statement is true...i remember some MR topics about you said...overload network.

----------

LOL.....funny.

15. chunology macrumors 6502

This.

I was, on average, using 500MB of mobile data/month on Sprint. When I switched carriers my usage skyrocketed to 8GB-10GB a month. It was simply due to the fact that the data just doesn't work when you need it to.

----------

LMAO!!! 1000000000000000000000000000 x 0 = 0 - AMIRITE?

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

17. powerstrokin, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Here's some screenshots from a few places I did speed tests earlier this year on Sprint. Note that I wasn't actually where it says the server is of course, but fairly close. I edited out my exact location and IP information. For instance the one that says South Bend Indiana I was in Rochester Indiana. Not a big town. The Madison Wisconsin one- I was in Belgium Wisconsin. That town has less than 1,000 people and the fastest LTE. (no one there to use it lol..) Sprint puts new towers in some strange places.

Attached Files:

18. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Last three.

Attached Files:

19. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

As long as the line is not busy.... Ahahahahahaahhha

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, perhaps a dog-eared and well beaten up field notebook, but thanks for the vote of confidence! ;)

----------

Claure isn't helping much. He says he monitors the network each day, but I don't see any incentives to the vendors to get off their lazy butts and install fiber optic backhaul.

Oh right! Claure said NV was done! My bad! :mad:

21. corlando465 macrumors member

I live in a good area for Sprint Service and am pleased with the price (compared to other companies) with the unlimited plan but it's not very good when traveling, especially to western U.S. My son is an OTR truck driver and found it necessary to switch from Sprint to Verizon for the best coast to coast coverage.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Unlock policy? No change.

Check again in February 2015.

23. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I was with Sprint for years because of unlimited data. I live in Los Angeles and actually got WiMax coverage of all things in a lot of places. Then their LTE rollout happened and I got some of that as well. But the moment I dropped back to 3G, my phone was a useless hunk of glass and metal. T-Mobile was rolling out their LTE network at this point, the speeds were great, coverage was comparable in my area, and they also offered unlimited plus some other goodies as well. And the kicker was that when I dropped to HSPA+, I could still use my data. If Sprint had rolled out their LTE more quickly and more comprehensively, I might have stayed with them. But T-Mobile overtook them and still are, IMO.

So you can get good speeds on Sprint, but it better be in an area where you have extensive coverage, otherwise you'll be in for a world of hurt when your phone drops to unusable 3G speeds.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That has to do with how NV rollout was executed.

Sprint went with a first available, first served type of thing. Whatever tower came up first was the tower that got worked on first.

When you have a handful of towers in rural areas with minimal paperwork and government permitting those towers tend to get done first. Compare that to hundreds of towers in urban areas with massive red tape, the tinfoil hat brigade, landlords who are difficult if not impossible to track down and government regulations, those towers get done much slower.

Then to top it all off, once done, if the vendor hasn't shown up with the backhaul the only thing you can hook your new fancy equipment up to is the old T-1 lines.

Of course, if you had incentivized the vendors to show up on time things might have been different!

25. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I didn't feel like getting into details... thanks for the report, soldier! :D