Sprint would never cancel one's service without ETF over data speeds would they?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Johnny Steps, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

My story if you want to read... tl;dr below the story.

I use IntelliscreenX now to turn my 3G off and use Edge speed to conserve battery like crazy on my iPhone 4S because it seemed 3G was sucking the battery even when I wasn't using the phone.

Anyway... sadly my edge DATA speed is faster than my 3G. I don't even know how's that's possible. (I did the data speed test on i.dslr.net/iphonespeedtest.html) Also my text messages send faster and I receive multiple texts (Like when people right part 1,2,etc. texts) at the same time as opposed to 3G.

Even yesterday, my friend with Verizon iPhone 4 stood is the same area I was in, inside of a building, did a speed test and got 1.5mb down! I got like 82 kps...

tl;dr
    Even if I show proof of terrible speeds to some person at a Sprint store so they can confirm with customer service or whatever... they'll never cancel me will they? They'll just keep opening up stupid tickets and telling me everything is "Okay!" huh?

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

No, they won't. Why not sell your iPhone and use that to pay for the ETF. The iPhone should cover the entire ETF and you'll still have some left over. That would probably be your best bet. However, I read a while back that Sprint likes to cancel lines when you call Customer Service too much.

http://consumerist.com/2007/07/spri...ch-were-scamming-sprint-for-free-service.html

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Sprint doesn't use EDGE technology. ;)
    They use EV-DO for their 3G and 1xRTT as their fallback.
    If you're getting faster speeds on 1xRTT than Ev-DO, you are in a sucky coverage area.

Read your contract and see if they have an out for lack of coverage.
    I know AT&T has one.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is lack of speed a valid reason to cancel your contract with Sprint?

I'd recommend reading the contract you signed to see what rights you have. I'm not a sprint customer so I have no idea but your contract will detail what you can or cannot do.

5. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

I don't think poor data speed will get him out of his contract. If that were the case, many if not all iPhone users would have left Sprint back in October.

6. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Because I wanted to sell my phone to buy.. another unlocked phone from APPLE.

Even if my iPhone 4S is unlocked, it's apparently only unlocked for roaming in another country... so yeah. I wanted to go on Verizon but as people have told me on this forum, they won't do it because they can't some strange number to their system or something.

Honestly, if I could get at like.. 600kps down and 400kps up with Sprint, I'd be okay. But dude.. they really are a crippling service. I don't want to switch to limited data, but right now it seems it's better to have working limited than unlimited little sips.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I doubt any carrier (or ISP) in the world would have a contract written so that you could cancel if they didn't deliver the speeds advertised.

8. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Yes they will. I got out of my contract only around 4-6 months old with Sprint and a EVO phone because of the speeds were not usable for my job. I told them flat out that I couldn't do my job because the speeds were too slow. And broke all 3 of my phones with no ETF and I went back to AT&T.

Wrong. They will.

9. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Okay not edge good to know ha ha. Anyway.. I don't know then. If there was a Cydia App that could force roam my phone, I could get out like that.

10. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

I'm sorry to say but you should have done some research before going with Sprint. Long before the iPhone hit Sprint they were having problems. Their 3G is awful. The technology doesn't allow it to be fast. AT&T is the best for the iPhone because their network is optimized for it. Sprint's is not (at least not now). What good is unlimited data if you can't barely use it?

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

AT&T calls it "quality of service".
    If the quality is so poor that the "service" is unusable, you can argue for a no penalty contract cancellation.
    I know many people who have been able to cancel their contracts without penalty using this argument.
    This is typically used for voice issues, but one can argue if a data plan is required for the phone, then the data must be usable.
    Granted "usable" is a subjective term, but less than 100Kbps is unusable on an iPhone.

The OP should research the issue with Sprint and see if they have a similar option.

12. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Or they could do what they did for me when I called and complained about that...send him a free airwave.

13. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

An airwave is a joke. A phone is something for on the go. When I'm at home I'll use my Wi Fi. The only thing an airwave would help with would be letting me send MMS at home. That's it.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My suggestion is to honor the contract you signed or pay the penalty for breaking it. btw, going on roaming won't do anything because your mailing address for billing would not have changed.

15. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

What do you mean? I used the Evo 3G hack when I had my rooted Evo before I early upgrade to the iPhone 4S and I would have good 3G speeds until Sprint called me and told they'd kick me out their service if I kept roaming. So roaming works.

16. macmaccy macrumors member

I joined Sprint when the iPhone 4s was launched. I had 4 iPhones on my account. I was able to cancel contract and ETF's waived.
    I called Sprint since day 2 to complain about slow data or no data. They would open tickets but never resolve the issue. Finally after 2 months I said enough... I emailed dan@sprint.com and asked to have my ETF waived. They made me many offers and it took 2 weeks, but they finally approved the ETF to be waived. I kept all the iphones, which I sold.
    Switched to Verizon and now Im happy.

Good Luck...just make sure you have documented proof of their inability to provide you with service. Also, you must give them the opportunity to correct AND you must be reasonable.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Then go for it, each company is different if sprint allows you to walk away from your contract because you're roaming then do it

18. Johnny Steps thread starter macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Can't. I don't believe there's a Cydia App that forces the iPhone to roam on "Extended Network" settings.

All I remember when I did the whole Evo 3G hack was that you had to change the PRL by knowing your MSL and typing in ##PRL# on the dial pad and changing it from there. I don't think any of that is possible on the iPhone.

19. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

20. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Its funny how many folks that don't have Sprint are answering like they know :D

First off, will they cancel without ETF.

Simple answer is yes.

You will need to document, open support tickets and complain A LOT. This will take a while. How do I know? I have Sprint and started down that road. HOWEVER they will NOT remove ETF's for unaffected phones. IOW if you have a family plan with 4 phones and 2 are iPhones, they will waive it on the iPhones ONLY.

Another option is the post that I brought over here from Slick Deals

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1315813&highlight=sprint

I can totally confirm waiving ALL ETF's this way. (the second way)

21. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Just like you. Yes they will waive your whole family plan and you can get out of it ETF free as long as you have the support calls in their system with issues of speed and not having it resolved. They did so for me without any issues.

22. Mikesus macrumors 6502

They will NOT waive your family plan unless ALL the phones are affected. I had to wait til they changed my plan.

23. nizmoz macrumors 65816

YES THEY WILL. I had it done and know many others who had it done too. How you think I went from a iphone 3GS to a iphone 4 in my history you see here with an EVO in the middle of it for a few months? lol www.howardforums.com has many that have been successful getting it done. Stop posting wrong information dude.

24. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Whatever, I am speaking from an actual experience with my own account. Don't need to convince you of anything.

25. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Dude, I am speaking from ACTUAL EXPERIENCE FROM MY ACCOUNT. Sorry if you were NOT LUCKY to get it done with your own and all butt hurt because of it, but I did. And it doesn't make sense for Sprint to only allow that one line go when it's attached to the other phones period. :rolleyes:

So have many others and it's a fact it can be done on howardforums because MANY have had it done.