Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I was watching a report on CNN a few minutes ago and they were talking about spyware. They only mentioned remedies for windoze machines, though. Can macs be infected with spyware, and what is the best way to get rid of it? Also, is there a good popup blocker for mac?

thanks!

laserbeahm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Central Valley, CA
One of the great things about OS X is that it always asks for an administrative password before any software can be installed. On Windows machines, spyware often gets installed behind people's backs. All the more reason to use a Mac.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
The only spyware that I have ever encountered on my Mac is when my girlfriend looks over my shoulder.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Nice. That's what I was thinking...i just wasn't sure. I've only owned a mac for 2 weeks.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It would probably be fairly trivial to write a cross-platform piece of spyware using something like Java. There would be some thought necessary regarding how to get it sneakily running on the various OSes, but I'm sure a determined sneak could do it. :)

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Well one of the biggest gaping security holes is in the most-used browser in the world-IE.

Unfortunately, M$ likes to leave everything wide open, security level set fairly low, oh and of course, the famous ActiveX holes.

Since i consider Safari to be the Mac equivalent of a Mozilla Firebird of sorts, these holes don't even exist.

For those of you who haven't used it before, here's one of the biggest reasons i use SpyBot:S&D:

spybot_1.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.