Square trade VS Apple Care +

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasek3139, Dec 25, 2011.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

Many people have been debating over this, and many have commented on it without even having both or one of the warranties. I have read many bad reviews about ST by people who haven't even used it, so i will share my story about ST and why it is the best

I bought ST for my iPhone 4 and let me tell all of you it works the BEST

I use it twice, once before AC+ was out and once after it was out, my phones screen cracked twice

i called square trade and opened a case, then then told me to go to the apple store, get the phone replaced and they will reimburse me the money via payal or check.

I did just that and got the FULL amount back that i paid. YOU DONT PAY A $50 DEDUCTIBLE UNLESS YOU SEND IT TO THEM TO REPLACE.

and there is unlimited replacements, it covers drops, spills,cracked screens, even covers broken buttons!

its a way better deal then AC+

i now have an iPhone 4s and the warranty transferred over at no extra cost! i paid $85 (had discount code which) for 2 years and its covered two different iPhones and already paid for itself

if i had apple care i'd be out $400

if anyone wants a 35% off code for ST, PM me and i will give it to you, i have two left and both are good til monday december 26th!

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I've commented on this several times, and I will continue to do so because I want to make sure people are fully informed. The biggest difference now between Applecare+ and Squaretrade is how much they cover. You say that Squaretrade covers unlimited replacements...this isn't quite true. Squaretrade coverage is for the retail value of your phone. Each time you get something repaired, it gets subtracted from that total. If they actually replace your phone, according to their terms and conditions, they consider the contract satisfied and your coverage is done. Applecare+ on the other hand covers two accidental damage incidents (with a $49 charge for each one; Squaretrade also has this charge). Any other problems with your phone are covered in full with Applecare+ no matter what the cost is. There's no running total on the cost.

People really need to read the details of the contract before they purchase it, and that goes for both Applecare+ and Squaretrade. Know what you're getting before you buy it.

3. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Copy from the other thread you gave the same wrong information...

Actually, I have been a long time ST customer, and have made many claims through them. What you have stated above is not true. Go read the terms of the 4s agreement.

It is not unlimited. Never has been.

Also there is a NEW $50 deductible in there plans (I also have made claims with out the $50, but alas those days are gone)

Read for yourself: http://www.squaretrade.com/merchant/learn/summaryPopup.html

Or goto http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone-landing24?ccode=bs_war_vc_090:HPother and click "Learn More"

4. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

I made my claim after this $50 charge was put in and did NOT have to pay the $50 charge. When i asked the rep about my coverage he told me that it would last for two years, and even if it was deducting from the cost of the phone its still more then only being covered for two drops or w.e.

i still think ST is a better deal and is much cheeper since i am in the 2nd year of my warranty and it is covering my new phone

5. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Depends on when you bought your warranty, if you bought it before they added the $50 then you are still under the agreement that you purchased. My Nexus One was fixed under warranty with out a $50 back in October... which was after the $50 was added to NEW warranties. Anyone buying today is under the agreement posted on their web site that I quoted and will have the $50 charge.

For everyone other then you, it does not matter at all what plan you have, only what plan can be bought today.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

That still doesn't mean "unlimited replacements" which is what you stated in your original post. I personally have nothing against Squaretrade. I just want people to be informed about what kind of coverage they're getting. And unfortunately, people often give wrong information about what's covered, as in your original post.

7. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There also seems to be a lot of inconsistency. With my iPhone 4 warranty (got it on launch day 2010) I was told that no, trips to the Apple store for non warranty repairs would NOT be covered and I'd have to send it in to them.

On that basis alone, I switched to AppleCare+ on my 4S. Maybe they've since changed their policy, but I chose not to risk it, especially since I have Apple stores near me, and I'd rather have the certainty of walking in with a broken phone, paying $50 and walking out with an Apple-remanufactured working one (or new if they got it).

9. ZipZap macrumors 601

True.

There is nothing more convenient that walking into an Apple store for a replacement or repair.

If you dont have a store nearby then from a convenience perspective the 2 warranties are the same.

ST is a diminishing value warranty and I would doubt that repairs to an iphone are cheap so that value could slip away quickly. Nice to know that almost any issues is covered by AC+ for 2 years with 2 replacements.