SquareTrade $50 deductible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmaxdmax, Sep 30, 2014.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I had sold myself on Apple Care+ but with SquareTrade's deductible at $50, and 4 claims, I don't think I can pass. That's the terms via Amazon rather than through them.

Am I missing something?

2. mac.cali macrumors 65816

3. bugelrex macrumors regular

You are forced to mail the phone back to squaretrade? or can you get it replaced/fixed at the apple store and squaretrade reimburses you?

4. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Either one. You have the option to pick. If you take it to apple, you have to pay the repair fees. They will reimburse you.

5. bugelrex macrumors regular

What are the downsides to squaretrade? There must be something, otherwise no one would buy applecare.

6. willmtaylor, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Lifetime maximum benefit / Maximum lifetime value / Maximum replacement value

7. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

8. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Yes from Squaretrade. But from Amazon it's 50.

9. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

This is obnoxious since I just purchased from SquareTrade with the $75 deductible. I think I'll call and either cancel or try to have them honor it.

10. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

You can cancel within the first 30 days.

I personally have applecare +, but Ill have to look into this tonight.

11. wildonrio macrumors 6502

The Amazon listing doesn't mention anything about being able to have Apple repair it instead. Is that in the fine print only?

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's on the SquareTrade website.

13. Roque1128 macrumors regular

Roque1128

Costco offers the $50 deductible option with square trade as well.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The following information may not be completely up-to-date, but it's worth noting when considering SquareTrade. I'm neither endorsing the product nor am I discouraging anyone from using it. Please refer to them for all details and specifics.

[EMPHASIS MINE]

...so 4 claims? Yes, but total lifetime reimbursement may not exceed the retail value of the device.

15. BSoares macrumors regular

SquareTrade also says you can only buy their warranty at Amazon's discount if you bought the product there which for the iPhone can't happen so not sure why they're even selling it there. I'd call and make sure you're actually going to be able to file a claim if you need to.

16. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

17. Bag302 macrumors regular

FWIW, Squaretrade has a 3 year iphone protection plan on their website for $129.

I had this plan last year on my 5s. While I didn't need it, I received an $89 prorated refund when I canceled after 1 year.

I bought it again this year for each of the new iphone 6's we got.

18. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

Yeah, there's something screwy going on here. I've talked to 3 different reps at this point and they've all said something different.

The last rep I spoke with said that you can only buy this warranty and apply it to items purchased from Amazon. I've repeatedly stated that you cannot purchase an iPhone from Amazon. I tried to explain that hundreds of people appeared to have purchased this plan and are actively covered by it, but the rep said that if I purchased it and tried to apply it to my iPhone it would be forfeited at the time of a claim. The support center is based out of the Philippines and nobody seems to know what the hell they're talking about.

I'm annoyed and I want them to honor the $50 deductible that they're selling on Amazon.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That experience in itself would be enough for me to make up my mind about the issue, but each to his/her own.

20. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Same here. If I can't get a straight answer after they posted their terms, why try to give them business? To save a few bucks? Your time might not be worth it.

21. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

This is a little odd. My first thought was simply that the Amazon listing was out of date.

I have Squaretrade warranties on my iPad mini and digital camera, but neither of them have deductibles. I've only used it once on the camera, and it was a smooth experience. They repaired it quickly and it cost me nothing. A $75 deductible (or even a $50 one) on top of the initial price for the insurance makes it seem like a bit more of a questionable choice, though.

22. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

I just got off with Squaretrade customer service (1-877-WARRANTY). They were saying that the warranty with a $50 deductible only applies to iPhones purchased through Amazon. Those of you who purchased the Squaretrade warranty through Amazon to cover your iPhone 6 may want to call Squaretrade to make sure you are covered since Amazon does not sell the iPhone 6.

23. wborisenok macrumors 6502

wborisenok

But you can't buy an iPhone through Amazon. That's the issue. Why are they selling iPhone warranties and stating that they can only be used on Amazon-purchased iPhones when you CAN'T buy an iPhone from Amazon?