Squaretrade>Apple Care +

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mobutt, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mobutt macrumors 6502

As I posted earlier I ha my screen crack so I contacted squaretrade told them I'm going to the Genius Bar for a replacement and they paypal'd me the money. All of it, no deductible. Yes, if you get your phone replace through the Genius Bar there is no deductible and they refund you the full amount. I can actually post the apple store invoice as well as the PayPal email if you guys would like.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That is pretty good. Usually they make you pay and provide proof and then they will reimburse you. I am shocked they did it before hand b.c you could very easily commit fraud. Granted they could just dispute with paypal, but that would be a pain in their ass

3. mobutt thread starter macrumors 6502

The did make me pay first but I think the single fact that they cover 750 dollars which is 3 Genius Bar replacements, there's no deductible, and it can be had for at least 10 dollars less than apple care +, it's definitely more worth it in my option if you can front the money.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

To me, below is the caveat with Squartrade warranties.

Was the purchase price of your iPhone $750?

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

Ok, so now your Squaretrade coverage is that much less + the $50 deductible.

Have you asked them how much you have left?

This is the main reason why squaretrade makes no sense when compared to applecare+

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

now that's a great question for those of us who paid full retail price

7. MDSkiBum macrumors newbie

My squaretrade warranty says nothing about purchase price:

Unless I am mistaken, I am covered up to the full replacement cost, not the subsidized price I paid.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

At the Genius Bar, the full replacement cost of an iPhone 5 is $229, no?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

he is thinking $750 - $229, which would mean three replacements. You are right though, he may want to look into it b.c it could mean the subsidized price

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

I just shot them an email, will reply back with their response.

11. MDSkiBum macrumors newbie

I'm curious what they say. This page on their site seems to indicate the coverage is for the unsubsidized price...

12. mookgiants macrumors member

it's definitely the unsubsidized price.

So it would basically be 3 replacements + 60 dollars if the price is 750 for your phone.

On the 4th replacement they will send you 60 dollars and you're responsible for the rest

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

Ugh, their stuff is slightly confusing.

Right below the line that says unsubsidized price, it says:
    "Zero deductibles except for cell phone claims which have a $99 deductible."

Other parts of their site mention a $50 deductible, and the OP paid a $0 deductible. LOL

14. mobutt thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you read the post?

My coverage is 749.99. I didn't pay any deductible at all.

Attached Files:

15. mobutt, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

mobutt thread starter macrumors 6502

0 dollar deductible if you get it repaired or replace on your own. They charge you 50 dollars if you get it replace through them.

So I paid 89 dollars for the warranty, don't have to pay any deductible at all and am covered for 3 Genius Bar replacements.

Through AppleCare + I would pay 200 for 2 replacements and that's it.

I don't break my phone very often but even for once squaretrade is a better option.

Btw I've already received the payment and can take a screenshot of that as well as the Genius Bar receipt if you guys would like.

Just spreading the word!

Attached Files:

16. mobutt thread starter macrumors 6502

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

why not?

18. MBrandonLee Suspended

I was on the fence, and now I'm leaning more towards ST. The only benefit I see from AC+ is their tendency to have a preference towards their own customers over someone else.

19. meistervu macrumors 65816

How does Apple that you have ST, therefore how would they treat you like anyone else other than a person with no phone insurance. You break your phone, Apple replaces it for around $200. You send ST the receipt and ST pays you the full amount.

Am I missing something?

20. MBrandonLee Suspended

Your sentence doesn't entirely make sense, but from what I gather you're asking about how they offer better service to one or the other. The answer is in their records on whether or not you have Applecare+. They generally will go above and beyond when you have their warranty plan. The question is how above and beyond will they go and is it better than Squaretrade.

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

News to me the $50 does not apply. Site says all claims.

Also I doubt apple repairs these phones so any failure will likely drive a replacement.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, here's the email I sent:
    ... and here is the relevant part of their reply:

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thanks for taking the time to check back in and post that stuff. Makes me feel a little better about my warranty.

24. hoon2999 macrumors regular