Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hero-applewatch-ribbon-250x219.png
Alternative insurance protection plan service SquareTrade today confirmed support for both the Apple Watch Sport and mid-tier Apple Watch models. The plans sit near the cost of AppleCare+ for the Watch, but cover accidental damage done to the device, unlike the additional charge required in AppleCare+.

The SquareTrade Apple Watch plans offer customers options with and without deductibles. So, for example, the Apple Watch Sport plan ranges from $59 to $69 (with deductible) and $129 to $159 (with no deductible). Similarly, the mid-tier Apple Watch models stretch from $79 to $149 (with deductible) and $169 to $239 (without deductible).

Both Watch tiers are 2-year plans covering malfunctions as well as accidental damage. The company believes that one of the most likely points of risk for the Watch will be "among others, drops and falls from nightly charging stations." But it assure customers that anything beyond intentional damage, loss, or theft will be covered by the plan.
"We don't mean to dampen all the excitement about the Apple Watch, but inevitably the klutz in us will come out. Just like smartphones, the Apple Watch accompanies us everywhere and is susceptible to the wear and tear of daily life," said Jessica Hoffman, vice president of global communications for SquareTrade.
The company has even gone so far as to create a "Wrisk" Predictor Lifestyle Quiz that aims to predict which Apple Watch model is most suitable for each customer's lifestyle. The company created the so-called Wrisk Factor to detect and perceive the risks for the wrist-worn device.

Screenshot-280-800x305.png
AppleCare+, in comparison, sees its two-year plans priced at $49 (plus $69 deductible for accidental damage) for the Sport and $69 (plus $79 deductible for accidental damage) for the mid-tier Watch, with the only gradient pricing range increasing with the added option of a combination iPhone/Apple Watch plan. AppleCare+ also provides a $1500 plan for the Apple Watch Edition, but SquareTrade appears to have opted out in focusing on those higher-end customers for its new Watch protection plans.

Article Link: SquareTrade Announces 2-Year Apple Watch Protection Plans

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
What are they thinking with their pricing?? I was considering going with ST instead of AC+. But they just changed the plan today and it's not worth it at all. Before today it was $79 for 3 years and no deductible to cover the SS Apple Watch. To cover my 42mm SS Milanese Loop it would cost me $149 with a $99 deductible, so I'd be paying more than twice the price for the plan and $20 more for the deductible. Looks like I'll go with AppleCare+ instead.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
What are they thinking with their pricing?? I was considering going with ST instead of AC+. But they just changed the plan today and it's not worth it at all. Before today it was $79 for 3 years and no deductible to cover the SS Apple Watch. To cover my 42mm SS Milanese Loop it would cost me $149 with a $99 deductible, so I'd be paying more than twice the price for the plan and $20 more for the deductible. Looks like I'll go with AppleCare+ instead.

Yea...that was because it was too good to be true, they probably ran the numbers and saw they could be taken a major loss on this.

Boston Fan

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Agreed - this pricing is terrible.

I've gotten ST for almost all of our other Apple products and don't recall a time when ST was the more expensive option. If this pricing stands we will definitely go with AppleCare+ over ST this time around.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I purchased the Apple Care for the first time on any Apple device. Given the FUBAR that this launch has been I felt I needed some security. When I saw this, I was thinking, darn I could have gotten a cheaper insurance. After reading the article, I am back to feeling good about my Apple Care decision.

RandomIan

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
Canada-Eh
Given the FUBAR that this launch has been I felt I needed some security.

I fail to see how this launch fits into any FUBAR situation. I thought it went pretty smooth. I hit order on the day orders went live, and now I get to wait for my Watch. Nothing F&#$ed Up Beyond All Recognition that I encountered.

TripleC123

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
Typo?

The article says it will protect against theft and accidental damage while the actual site says it won't protect against theft. Which is it?:confused:

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'm confused. Apple's $49+$69 (deductible) is still cheaper by $20 then their plan.

Actually much cheaper than ST. Doesn't Apple allow 2 accidental damages and unlimited repairs?

ST makes you buy a new warranty once replaced.

So Apple is $49 w/ ded of $69 + $69 = $187 for sport
SQ would be no ded $129 + $129 = $258 or $268 (w/ ded)

The only advantage to ST is that you can keep getting warranty coverage on each replacement whereas after 2 years of original purchase with Apple you are no longer covered.

The best coverage is to buy AppleCare first, then buy ST right when the 2 years is up. ST allows you to buy coverage so long as item is less than 30 days old OR you have current coverage.

----------

The article says it will protect against theft and accidental damage while the actual site says it won't protect against theft. Which is it?:confused:

It does not protect against loss or theft. The article is wrong.

ST doesn't cover it because you are "10x" more likely to drop/break it vs get it stolen.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
How long of a time period after purchasing the Apple Watch do you have eligibility to buy Apple Care for it ?

Dante012477

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
If you have a stainless steel it will cost you more $ for the deductible $99

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 190

Dante012477

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Wow that seems to good to be true you have to send it to them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 132

itconstitution

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015
Upsie is a better deal. Can get 5 year coverage for only $54.23 and only a $25 deductible, for my space grey 42mm Sport.

Has anyone used upsie? It seems to have very good prices.

I just looked into it (thanks Josh) and decided to get their 3-year plan ($25 deductible) which after an introductory $10 off came out to $25. I read the fine print and it checked out. Plus the company that actually handles the warranty (New Leaf) looks legit and is a BBB accredited business: (http://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-...-leaf-service-contracts-in-irving-tx-90398042)

FYI, here's the terms of my contract: http://link.upsie.com/carrier/newleaf/20150401/

Last edited:

Boston Fan

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
SE Pennsylvania
Actually much cheaper than ST. Doesn't Apple allow 2 accidental damages and unlimited repairs?

ST makes you buy a new warranty once replaced.

Unless they've changed it for he Apple Watch, this is not correct. We have ST on all of our iPhones and have been able to make multiple claims without buying a new plan.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I use SquareTrade for everything I have that has an on/off switch, from my iPhone to my refrigerator.

I've filed multiple claims with them, and they are great. It's a no-brainer for me since I live two hours and two states from the closest Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.