SquareTrade is offering a helluva deal on iPhone insurance for families!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1080p, Sep 25, 2015.

1. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Not bad... If you pay for the 2 year plan ($89 per phone upfront, $75 deductible), it is cheaper than Applecare + and I think SquareTrade gives you 4 incidences.

If you go for the $6 monthly plan, you still only have a $75 deductible. That IS WAAAAY cheaper than carrier insurance.

I carried SquareTrade for my kids last year and when I needed to file a claim, I did it online and I had to take the broken phone (water damaged) to the Genius Bar and pay for service. Then I went online and uploaded the Genius service receipt (Apple emails it to you) to SquareTrade and they reimbursed the money (minus $75) via Paypal the very next day!
    Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 9.02.25 AM.png

2. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I've had good experiences with SquareTrade warranties so far, so I'll probably go with them. I just wish they had a no deductible option like my camera and iPad plans.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No coverage for loss or theft?

That's the only reason why I have TEP on Sprint. Have to stick with that if Squaretrade won't cover that.

4. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68020

1080p

Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone.

Cardinal Rule #1.

If your iPhone isn't in your hand, it's in your pocket.

Cardinal Rule #2.

If your iPhone isn't in your pocket it's in your hand.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
    If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
    If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, my rules aren't codified, but they are the same as yours.

I won't leave my phone somewhere without knowing it's safe. I'm not really clumsy (although I have dropped my phone a few times) so most of this is actually designed to protect me from those around me - specifically one person at work who has managed to break other items I own without even trying.

In general, whether at home or work my iPhone sits in a business card holder all day. In the car, there is one specific spot for it and at all other times it's in my pocket.

So, my concern isn't so much loss or accidental damage (although I did crack my screen last Friday because I wasn't paying attention (bit loopy after taking Benadryl)) it's more from outright forceful theft.

I've never had that happen, but I don't want to have it happen the first time I don't get insurance for it. If the device were mine, it'd be different, but I'm leasing my phone from Sprint and they will charge me, phone or not.

6. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Can you transfer it when you get a new phone? I'll probably never have a phone 2 years again (on JOD!)

7. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68020

1080p

That I am not sure of...
    But it does say you can cancel anytime for a refund (prorated???) So.. I would probably cancel and start fresh for your new phone.

8. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68020

1080p

Oh. I have separate insurance against forceful theft. .40 Caliber insurance. IMG_0654.JPG

9. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I have the 9mm G2. Nice gun - I was surprised by Taurus. It's my bedside currently - Shield 9mm for carry.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…Arizona is a right to carry state. :D

11. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68020

1080p

Phoenix, AZ right here...

12. lordhamster macrumors 6502

Assuming the Taurus actually goes bang when you pull the trigger bwahhaha. HK P30 FTW

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

West Valley. ;)

14. appleforme macrumors member

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

ST doesn't do number of claims. They do value of claims. Once the worth of the phone has been claimed (regardless of number, your policy is finished). It all depends on how much repairs and replacement incidents cost. Talk to reps for verification/details.

16. lyutin macrumors regular

why not just get ProtectYourBubble.com? its like 6.99 a month and $50 deductible. (doesn't cover loss or stolen, but does cover other user fault crap)

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

Based upon reviews and feedback I found these folks are not reliable.

18. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68020

1080p

Doesn't seem reputable...