SquareTrade tests build quality of iPhone 4S and Galaxy SII

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilo777, Oct 17, 2011.

1. lilo777 macrumors 603

The tests prove that Galaxy SII build quality is way above that of iPhone 4S. They dropped both phones on concrete three times. SGSII survived all three falls whereas IP4S broke down in all three drops.

Check the video.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Would have been funny if after the drop Siri chimed in with "Please don't do that".

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Guess that proves glass breaks while plastic doesn't
    What a shock

4. pinwanger macrumors member

no surprises there, iPhone users favor beauty over durability, then cover it up with a case for durability

5. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Yeah, it doesn't really show "build quality".

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

im sorry but how does this test build quality?

7. lilo777 thread starter macrumors 603

Structural integrity and endurance are critical parts of build quality. What do you think build quality is?

If only they knew it at Apple.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Technically the SG2 screen is glass.

9. lilo777 thread starter macrumors 603

Yes, but it's a Corning Gorilla Glass. We still can't get clear answer about the nature of iPhone glass.

10. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

GORILLA GLASS. There's a difference.

11. salacious macrumors 6502a

a phone made of glass vs a phone made of *PLASTIC* hmmm now lets drop both and lets see which one breaks.....glass vs plastic.....glass vs plastic... as harry hill would say "FIGHT!!!!!"

honestly are we teaching young children here what breaks and what doesnt, a lambourghini crushes easy at 10 mph into a lampost, a range rover would probably have a better chance of retaining its body shape, does that make one better than the other? no...you'd still get the lambo!!

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Typically it's conformance quality, i.e. how well does the product conform to the design criteria and how much variance from that design spec exists in the manufacturing process. In other words, how much unit to unit build variance exists. Think back to 1970's auto manufacturing and widely varying gaps in hoods and doors between different manufacturers.

You're talking about ruggedness, which is a different thing.

13. DeusInvictus7, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

True, but either way, The GS2 screen is deeper into the body than the iPhone's. I'm looking at both of my phones right now, and the GS2 has the body kind of lipping over the screen, so that might also factor into screen shattering when dropping it. The iPhone on the other hand, has the glass as the most exterior layer of the phone.

14. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I think we all knew this. Is this not identical to an iPhone 4 drop test?

15. lilo777 thread starter macrumors 603

I view it differently. I think what you refer to is the quality control. If the spec is really bad, no matter how closely it is followed the product will be bad.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Probably be a good idea for apple considering its a glass phone, right?

17. alucinari macrumors newbie

That's not a build quality test, that's a durability test.

I can have a steel safe with horrible build quality and it will be much more durable than the best made plate glass window.

A build quality test would show how closely the device matches the manufacturing specifications and how well the parts are put together.

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

This isn't surprising, nor is it really important to most people. Pretty much everyone that buys the iPhone realizes that if they drop it on a hard surface it might break. And there's a lot more to build quality than just whether or not a phone might break when you drop it.

And before people freak out, no, I don't hate Android. I don't have any interest in it, but I don't hate it. No matter what phone I own, I realize that it's expensive and I should try my best not to drop it.

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you must be kidding me...

lets take this approach and use it in other ways..

say you have a swiss made watch. lets say iwc. you slam the cystal against the pavement. you get a cheap $5 watch from walmart made out of plastic. i think the $5 would fare better.

lets take a glass vase.. say you drop it. it will shatter. take a plastic flower pot, if you drop it, it will not shatter.

if you have not noticed in the last 16 months, both sides of the iphone are glass. it WILL break if dropped. it has NOTHING to do with build quality. this thread is a complete waste.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

You're certainly welcome to view it however you wish, just clarifying that you're using the term to refer to something different. FWIW, conformance quality one aspect of the overall quality control arena.

If you don't believe the iphone 4/4S design meets your needs for ruggedness, that's fine. It remains a different matter from build quality. What you're looking for falls into the category of "performance quality", i.e. suitability to a particular need such as ruggedness. Your argument might have more traction if you take it from that angle rather than build quality.

21. lilo777 thread starter macrumors 603

That's true. On iPhone, the glass edges are exposed and will come in contact with the ground during the fall. In SGSII, glass edges are covered by metal. Because of that iPhone design might look more attractive but, as evidenced by this video, the prices is very high (for some - literally).

22. bmms8 macrumors 68020

since there is no lip on the iphone, does that mean the build quality is that much worse? :/

23. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

How morons does it take to relize the difference between build quality and durability. Would you bounce a sculpture on the floor and say when it breaks it is because of build quality? Lol besides we all know how plastic laptops are over a longer period of time.

24. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

You lucky punk. I want BOTH the Galaxy SII and the iPhone 4S (I have the Galaxy S right now, and the iPhone 4S is coming..).

I guess you can say more or less the iPhone 4s is like the Lamborghini. May not survive in a crash compared to a honda.......but you look good dying!:D

25. lilo777, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

lilo777 thread starter macrumors 603

Do you know the difference between a sculpture and a mobile device? Mobile devices are designed for use in various conditions. Their design must take into account the fact that the devices will be dropped, struck etc.

This comparison is flawed in that SGSII is a Lamborghini here. As the tests show, SGSII is actually faster than iPhone 4S:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp0HlX1ySGg&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1EBlCWBHHs&feature=relmfu