Squaretrade video showing submerging an iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Sep 25, 2012.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So apparently Squaretrade did their tests today on the iPhone 5 vs. the Samsung Galaxy S III.

On the drop test the 5 (yet again) fares better but it was a completely unfair test this time (the Galaxy got dropped on its face, the 5 hit the side). THough I have to say I've seen other drop tests that were more fair and the 5 still faired better. And more importantly, it was impressive what it took before breaking (Cause I honestly don't care if a Galaxy breaks easy, I don't have one).

But apparently the iPhone 5 did well when dropped into a pool. They had it playing a video and when they brought it out, it was still playing the video, the physical buttons worked though the touch screen seemed (from what I saw) to not respond (Though they at the end claimed it was still working so don't know if they noticed the touch screen start to respond).

http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...sung-galaxy-s3-water-20120925,0,7227890.story

2. Brettka7 macrumors regular

It seems every generation iPhone is more water resistant than the last. My 3G was washed in the washer... Twice. First time it worked after, second time I had to replace the screen but it worked until it corroded on the inside. That phone had the roughest life by far out of all my iPhones.

3. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Bad test. It seems like they were aiming to break the S3 more than the iPhone 5. Not accurate.

4. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Are you talking about the drop test part where I said it was a bad test? Which I also will note and noted before there are several drop tests between the two and the iphone always does better (and some of the other ones were more fair). So even if that one isn't fair, it has been shown several times the iPhone fairs better (and more importantly, it fairs well even without comparison, it seems to handle a lot of abuse period regardless of if you are comparing another phone or not).

Or are you talking about the submerged part, which was the part I was more interested in (cause I've seen a bunch of drop tests by now). Because if you are talking about the submerged part, why do you say it's not accurate? I don't see what they did differently there? Or did you not watch the video past that part (did you decide that since you didn't like the first test you weren't even going to bother to see the other tests? You weren't curious at all how the iPhone did in a water test even if you didn't trust they wouldn't do something to try to sabatoge the S3?).

For that matter, even the test where they drop things on the phone, I don't see where they tried harder with the S3.

5. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I don't think they were aiming to hurt the s3 more. I think the s3 just had a couple of unlucky hits. Maybe it's a testament to the iPhone's design though on the drop test. Perhaps it's weighted in such a way to naturally want to fall on the edge and not face first like the galaxy. The beer bottle was just a luck of the draw with how it fell. But still I'm kind of surprised it shattered that bad and made it unresponsive at that height. It looked like they were dropping items from about 24"?

6. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, it didn't look like the bottle really fell hard.

I'm just more surprised that the iPhone was still working after being submerged in water. I'm curious if when it dried out if the touchscreen started being sensitive again.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'd be willing to bet that it did. I've had instances where I had my phone out in the rain and even with my best efforts to hover over it still got a few sprinkles on the screen. That usually always made my touch screen less responsive.

I think the real question is how long will the phone last after this one drowning before the internals degrade.

8. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Yea, the most amazing part was the iPhone 5 still working sound and everything after being submerged. The S3 just died.

9. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

The fact that it even still worked was pretty good in my opinion.

Though I had a Nokia phone (not a smartphone) that I dropped in the parking lot and didn't find til the next day (been raining all day and night). It lasted til I got rid of it (happened twice actually). I have to say each time it happened though the battery got worse (it just didn't last very long). By the time I got a new phone you would have to recharge it every night (and this was with no use cause I barely used my cellphones before I got a smartphone as I hate the phone). And this was a dumbphone so it used to last a week or so without me charging it. It was an issue then cause i didn't use it much I wouldn't remember to recharge it every night (The smartphone I recharge every night but I use it so I remember ;) ).