Squeezing the last out of my 3G Apple Care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seenett, Jun 10, 2010.

1. seenett macrumors regular

So I started examining my launch-day purchased 3G yesterday. It's always in a case, and I took it out, imagining what my brand new 4G will look like in a few weeks. That's when I noticed several of the often reported hairline cracks in the white backing. One crack on the dock connector was REALLY big, with many small cracks around the screw holes and by the sim card tray. I then realized I have one month remaining on Apple Care. I don't know what I'll do with the 3G in a few weeks. Maybe I'll sell it (won't be worth much anyway), or keep it as a back-up phone, or simply use it an an iPod. So I ended up getting a "new" refurb from Apple today - totally legit transaction.

I mentioned this to several friends, who seem to think I am ripping off Apple since I will be getting a 4G anyway. If I end up selling it, i'm sure the new refurb will be worth more than my "old" one. If I end up keeping it as a spare, then it will probably last longer. Regardless of what I end up doing with the 3G, I think I am totally within my rights here. Opinions?

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

You got what you paid for. That's what Apple Care is for.

I know what I would do personally... I'd sell that phone off on Craigslist and buy the new iPhone for close to nothing!

3. walds11 macrumors 6502a

You paid for the extended warranty, so go for it. I swapped out my 3GS last week. There was a hairline crack on the back near the charging port. I had about 10 days left on my limited one year warranty. I thinking about buying the AppleCare Extended warranty for $69. I am going to give my wifethe 3GS, so probably worth it to purchase the extended warranty. Or not?

4. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I think that would depend on how careful your wife is with her gadgets. If she is going to throw the phone around and not care for it I would go for the warranty. :D

5. walds11 macrumors 6502a

She is pretty careful with her cell phones. She will put it in a silicon/rubber case and carry it around in her purse.

6. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

If she is careful I honestly don't think the 70 dollars is worth it. I've had my 3G for 2 years now and I never got the extended warranty and it still works like new. Only problem I have is that some dust got under the screen, but it doesn't bother me. So unless you are OCD I don't think it's worth it. Especially since she'll probably want to upgrade in a year anyway no?

7. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you are absolutely right, she may actually want to upgrade within a year. She is eligible for an early upgrade in Nov 2010and a full upgrade in Feb 2011.

Me on the other hand, I am rough with my devices. I may purchase AppleCare for my iPhone 4.

8. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Hehe you and your wife are the complete opposite of my girlfriend and I. I take really good care of my devices, my girlfriend on the other hand doesn't care. She is on her 2nd cell phone in 3 months because she destroys them. She lets little kids play with them and she got angry once and threw one against the wall. lol I told her to never buy an iPhone. :)

9. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Went to the Apple store last night and had my White 3GS replaced. Very, very easy.

I also had the cracks along the bottom and some up the side of the phone.
    He gave me a new one (prob refurb) wrapped in plastic.
    Gonna sell and hopefully make a little on it. :eek:

10. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger