Sri Lanka explosions on Easter Sunday [At least 207+ dead]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shyam09, Apr 21, 2019.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

Live newsfeed: https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/04/21/explosion-at-the-st-anthonys-church-in-kochikade/

Quick Summary: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/21/sri-lanka-explosions-what-we-know-so-far

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

5 British nationals now confirmed dead via the BBC. What a dreadful act targeting purely innocent people going about their Easter celebrations. I feel sorry for Sri Lanka too as it’s going through a transformation after decades of civil war and trying hard to overthrow corruption and establish itself as a westernised country. This sort of thing could see a lot of investment pulled out unless the government can get it under control. A sad day and RIP to those murdered.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Extremist on BOTH sides making others suffer :(

5. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

• The government has imposed a curfew with immediate effect. It also shut down social media and messaging services.
    WTF, why again would that be something that needed to be done?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

to
    Stop a mob from forming and going after Muslims that had nothing to do with it?

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I don't know anything about Sri Lanka, I had to look it up on the map, but that seems like an action that would be taken in a dictatorship, not a free State.

Almost as if they didn't want the people to hear or see the truth and to only know what the media and government wanted them to know........

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Do wonder HOW the can shut down media like that

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It's a scary thing that they can, kind of like the feeling I had after the Boston bombings when officials ordered a "Shelter in place".

I can't put my finger on why that bothers me, but it just gets my spidey sense tingling.

Kind of like the next thing you expect is tanks rolling through the streets.

10. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

It is curious though.

Scrolling through my FaceBook and Instagram you wouldn't guess more than 200 people were blown up and around 500 injured in Sri Lanka…

And yet, a church spire in Paris burns down and you couldn't move for all the teary emojis and little prayer hands…

Humans eh? Such priorities.

11. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

You're talking about a country that emerged from 26 years of civil war in 2009 with this declaration by the prevailing government's defense ministry:

"LTTE [the opposition] defeated; Sri Lanka liberated from terror."​

That phrasing right there should tell anyone a few things that might suggest why the Sri Lankan government shuts down social media and messaging services after a series of apparently coordinated attacks that have killed over 200 hundred people on Easter Sunday. They need to find out who did this and they'd doubtless like to do it while not having to fight off assorted viral efforts to rekindle the civil war for the merry hell of it. People are predictable now regarding use of social media after terror attacks: first response is take a "side" even if there's no understanding yet of who managed the attacks.

Most Sri Lankans are Buddhists, but there are many Muslim and Hindu adherents and around a million Christians. All the religious leaders have condemned the violence but old enmities die hard and some wars are not over just because someone called the ball dead when someone rang a bell 26 years ago.

This terrible set of events could have been fostered by completely external entities but will have stirred feelings among Sri Lankans that have not been laid to rest. Having stuff like that go viral and rekindle talk of unfinished business related to a horrendous civil war would not be helpful while the government attempts to find out who planned and directed these Easter Sunday attacks.

I'd say let's see how long the embargo on social media and messaging lasts. I would not blame this government for wanting to get out there with summary of its early findings and some attempts to keep people focused on the now before letting people have at it on social media. Messaging, I dunno. I'm not sure why they would shut that down except to limit what they probably already have to sift through and find anything coming from foreign sources. A curfew does seem reasonable enough to me. It helps minimize copycat or parallel incidents, for one thing. When is a group of people a mob and what is the object of their fury? At night, and anything handy.

What a senseless, horrible thing for the attackers to have done. And so provocative to attack a religious minority on a high holiday. Pot stirring at its worst, i.e. it points the finger at a majority who may not have been the source of the attacks to begin with.

12. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68020

shyam09

I found this article <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/world/asia/sri-lanka-social-media.html> pretty interesting that sums up why Sri Lanka did this move (mostly to prevent violence from starting caused by SM).

Interestingly, a Sri Lankan police chief sent an intelligence warning on April 11: "A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama'ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo."

Per the article: "The NTJ is a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka that came to notice last year when it was linked to the vandalisation of Buddhist statues."

Source: https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/s...warned-of-suicide-attack-threat-before-blasts; https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/s...-sri-lanka-churches-during-easter-mass-police

13. bambooshots, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019

bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Social media is a way for terrorists to communicate.

Latest update is over 250 dead.

I’m waiting for an Islamic imam to denounce Islamic radicalism and remove headscarves to show solidarity with Christians.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Less than 10% of the Sri Lankan popular practise Islam and this terrorism had nothing to do with them. It doesn’t need to be advertised that Muslims are compassionate in the aftermath as I’m sure they are.

Why do you call for such a PR exercise? Is it because this is a good opportunity for you to find something negative to deflect at Muslims?

15. bambooshots, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019

bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Nearing 300 dead.

Don’t you think showing solidarity with Christians is the least they can do, instead of trying to deflect?

Or are Christian lives worthless to you?

Yeah, Sri Lanka may not have a large population of Muslims but I don’t know Buddists have a long track record of suicide bombings.

A small percentage of Sri Lankans are Christianity, too. So what’s your point besides trying to deflect.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2019 ---
    51C6F1A3-749E-4EA6-B861-3889DE4F4DDF.jpeg

It’s quite chilling how much difference there is in the reporting of the NZ shooting where it was “white power” vs the multiple church bombings. Crickets from the MSM.

It says all I need to know about the agenda of the MSM and those that run it.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...children-killed-Sri-Lanka-terror-attacks.html

I can’t imagine what this guy and the other families are going through right now.

So again. I ask you. Why do you thinking donning crosses as a show of solidarity of support some kind of “PR” move, just like the women of NZ donning headscarves after the mosque shooting?

16. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

It is really sad, may their soul rest in peace. Hope the terrorists will be caught asap and justice served.

Let's remember, a terrorist is a terrorist. A true pious man can't be a terrorist.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think people generally are showing solidarity and quite why you think I have no compassion for Christians without any evidence for that is quite offensive. I’m intrigued to see why you are singling out ‘muslims’ in general when there are other religions which you are not mentioning? What about Hindus and Buddhists considering Tamils in Sri Lanka are largely made up of these? Religious leaders and heads of state including Islamic countries have condemned and paid tribute to the victims in Sri Lanka, but because Muslims there haven’t dressed like Christians, you’re offended?

Just because some women in New Zealand wore hijabs after the mosque attacks there does not mean this is some sort of benchmark for showing respect. You seem to think it is and that is why I’m challenging your viewpoint.

Buddhists have a long track record of violence so admitting you had no idea about that seems to be very correct. Buddhists and Hindus had been slaughtering people in Sri Lanka for 26 years until 2009 so it’s a good idea to know a little history before demanding Muslims there owe other religions special respect. The nation is in mourning regardless of what religion people are, it was an attack on Sri Lankan society after all!

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Regrettably there are more than two sides of extremists, but I hope the violent ****s that are responsible for this get severely punished. Does Srl Lanka have the death penalty?

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A death penalty for suicide bombers seems somewhat redundant.

20. VulchR, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Rushing to judgment about who did this will not help anything, but it does seem the government suspects an extremist Muslim group (although they might be biased or have ulterior motives). I am sure there will be many acts of solidarity between Muslims and Christians in Sri Lanka. The question is whether they will be reported, since the media often overlook the ongoing constant condemnation of extremism by mainstream Muslims.

And those who planted bombs/IED's (or planned, financed and encouraged this, like Bin Laden encouraged 9/11)?

21. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68020

shyam09

I presume you’re referring to the LTTE (Tamil Tigers for short). Just got more clarification to OP ...

There were no religious motivations behind LTTE’s attacks. These weren’t “Buddhists” or “Hindus” behind the attack, they were more of a secular group. IIRC, there were Christians in the LTTE as well (and Muslims I think, but not sure).

Given the possibility of a Muslim extremist group behind the attack, a religiously fueled attack.

On a side note, ISIS supporters are celebrating this. The standard is already pretty low for ISIS supporters, so not that surprising.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rita_Katz/status/1119976976507445249

22. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

sriterror.png

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Do you also expect men to put on skirts to show solidarity with the women killed? The constant refrain that Muslims have to apologize for the actions of terrorists is sickening. Especially coming from a culture that consistently paints white and Christian terrorists as lone wolves.

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

My deepest condolences to those affected by this evil and hateful atrocity. 290+ dead with many survivors likely facing permanent injuries.

It does seem like there are differences in the way some have reacted to this versus NZ or Tree of Life Synagogue, but personally in the immediate aftermath I’d rather focus on the victims than turning this into a political argument.